ADVERTISEMENT

Opening night Tues Nov 9th vs. CCSU

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Count down to game 1 / season #4 of the Dan Hurley era............ vs. CCSU and their new HC and former Uconn asst Patrick Sellers. Here's the CCSU roster and list of returning scorers.

November 9, 2021 ....6:30pm @ Gampel ....
TV: Starts out on FS1 ( BE whip around coverage), info below ( click to enlarge) :

1-CCSU-roster-2021-22.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a good article on Patrick Sellers, the former UConn assistant under Calhoun, now head coach at CCSU:
This game will present a good opportunity to play a lot of guys and mix and match. It's fortunate that they have a few games before BOA in which to tinker and experiment and see who is ready for prime time and who isn't.

Looks like Hawkins in the background is in a walking boot, hopefully just an ankle sprain:

This game will present a good opportunity to play a lot of guys and mix and match. It's fortunate that they have a few games before BOA in which to tinker and experiment and see who is ready for prime time and who isn't.
True, I think it's a huge advantage for a team with alot of depth. Especailly with no summer or cupcake games last year just to allow the nonstarters to get some feel for game action & build some confidence.

Last edited:
Here are the big questions I want to see answered tomorrow night:

Will Andre Jackson's shooting be improved and can he do better than the 14% on 3s he shot last year and make respectable percentage of at least 32%? Is that asking too much?

What will Akok give UConn? Will he be the 3 blocked shots per game player who can also stick 3s? Is 8 ppg, 5 rpg and 2 bpg asking too much? Is 35% or better on 3s realistic or asking too much?

Martin has shot 32/33% on 3s the last 2 years. Will UConn get more of the same or better production from deep? Was his 30% FGs over the last 8 games due to late season wear down and/or injury, and can UConn expect a stronger finish when he gets less minutes?

What is UConn going to get out of the freshmen Diggins, Floyd, Hawkins and Johnson? Will these guys become solid contributors?

Is Cole ready to score 15 ppg? Should he be the main man offensive player on this team, Sanogo or both of them?

Will Polley and Gaffney hit more than 40% on 3s, as both clearly have the potential to do?

Will Polley have the explosive bursts of 3s on a more consistent basis than last year when he had a few such outbursts but was recovering from a serious knee injury and seemed to struggle to get open at times? Will UConn do more to get Polley open in the half court offenses, and/or will Polley move better without the ball to get himself open?

Will we finally see sustained minutes for Richie Springs? Will he emerge as the true "program player" and develop into a contributor especially on the offensive glass which we have heard many times is his forte?

Last edited:
Hawkins, from what I am being told, was going to get SIGNIFICANT minutes right away. This hurts if its more than a game or two.....we need that kid as scoring will be an issue I think this year.

Hawkins is the kid I was hoping would be a wild card on 3 point shooting. Most 3 pointers will be taken by Polley, Cole and Gaffney, and between those 3 the production could be good, but Hawkins comes advertised as a sweet shooting 2 guard. So hopefully he will be back and have a week of practice before BOA, and can add something.

Hawkins, from what I am being told, was going to get SIGNIFICANT minutes right away. This hurts if its more than a game or two.....we need that kid as scoring will be an issue I think this year.
FWIW, when I went up to the scrimmage they had with refs, Hawkins did start with white group (starters) of Sanogo, Whaley, Cole, Polley with Martin off the bench. DH said alot was trying different groups , but still he was out there even at the end when the blue team ( AJ, Gaf, Akok, etc) had the lead and the white was making a push to comeback. He did kinda seal it for the blue though throwing up 2 or 3 bad shots in the last couple of minutes.

3 things though, as in his highlights, he has a sweet stroke and he did knock down a few, he also handled the ball probably better than Martin( who's pretty bad as a passer) and made a few nice passes off the bounce. One thing though is he's real frail, he needs to put on some serious LBS.

I don't think Hawkins will be needed in this one but hope he can get in some healthy practice time before BOA
If it's just a sprain, I've had dozens playing hoops jumping up (with my 40 in. vertical :cool:) and rolling it over landing on someones foot, you can be at full strength in a week or 2. And the treatment now is so much better. Only a bout 10 % of them I had I went to the ER for X-rays and all but one ended up without a cast. Most was just a wrap or air cast you wear to keep it in the right position of function. I never even saw these big walking casts around they have now, even when I was an EMT back in the 90's.

3 things though, as in his highlights, he has a sweet stroke and he did knock down a few, he also handled the ball probably better than Martin( who's pretty bad as a passer) and made a few nice passes off the bounce. One thing though is he's real frail, he needs to put on some serious LBS.
The one thing with AJ and Martin is they both have grown man bodies. In fact all of the projected starters have grown man bodies. My hope is that this will translate into good to outstanding rebounding. As I recall Martin was a terror on the O-boards last year. While Martin is a terrible passer, this is somewhat offset by his aggressive driving and maniacal rebounding. All of these guys have their strengths and weaknesses and we know what they are. Martin needs to deal a few more assists and Jack up his 3 point %. Hawkins clearly has to work on his body and from what you say his shot selection. No Rodney Purvises allowed on Hurley's watch. Cole has to score more and be efficient with his shooting. AJ can do everything except shoot. None of them are perfect players but we can hope they work on their weaknesses.

Was looking at Martin's stats and he averaged 1 assist per game. For a small forward this is totally unacceptable. This is Johnnie Selvie territory, although he was actually a 4. Tyrese if you are reading this, Come on Man, you are better than this. And if you don't dish on your aggressive drives it's very easy for the D to wait and step in for the inevitable charge. Which I recall happening a fair amount last year. You don't want to lead the nation in offensive fouls as well as offensive boards.

Just FYI, I'll be at Gampel but as I posted above the game is supposed to start at 6:30 on FS1 but after 20 minutes or so Fox is going to "whip around" to the 7 BE openers going on tonight depending on the scores. It says that you can see the entire Uconn game on the Fox sports app you can add to your streaming device( ROKO, etc) , or your phone, probably on your computer screen. I do have a Roku with Fox Sports added. But I've yet to see anything "Uconn" posted on the screen. I did notice this page below with a game countdown on the net.

PS. Nova is the 1st BE game today @ 4:30 vs. Mount St Mary's on FS1

Last edited:
I do have a Roku with Fox Sports added. But I've yet to see anything "Uconn" posted on the screen.

PS. Nova is the 1st BE game today @ 4:30 vs. Mount St Mary's on FS1

Update: the fox sports app now lists the BE full broadcast games under in the "Upcoming" section starting with Uconn vs. CCSU....Also, it sounds like Gampel will be sold out for opening night.

That's bullshit if FS1 does that-they should not "whip around" in CT where everyone is only watching UConn vs. CCSU, just other markets.

So you are telling me I need to download the Fox Soorts app on my laptop and watch it there? Why did I buy a 65" TV with high definition?

So you are telling me I need to download the Fox Soorts app on my laptop and watch it there? Why did I buy a 65" TV with high definition?
Nope, not if you have a streaming device hooked up to your TV, just add the Fox sports ( channel) onto your device, if not oh well.

I'm watching Nova right now on my 54" TV with Roku and the Fox Sports add ...works fine !

Last edited:
I watched the whole game on the Fox Sports App and UConn looked very impressive. Sanogo was dominant inside, but I was particularly impressed by the play of Andre Jackson. AJ looked like he was flying around the court, and although there is still some wildness in his game, he is going to be one scary beast when he puts it all together. I thought UConn did an OK job on the boards- obviously when you shoot 61% you are not missing too many. Akok led the team with 7 boards followed by AJ with 6. Cole looked very much in control out there and played experienced and steady unlike Diggins who really looked like a freshman and probably not ready for prime time.

Martin had 2 assists to go with his 14 points and both were nice bail out passes to Sanogo when continuing the drive would have resulted in the O-foul. He needs to do more of this and at least double his assist average..

Very good win for the Huskies!

The most notable stat to me is that CCSU had 29 TOs against UConn.
Yeah there were a ton of good stats ( 15 steals- 9 blocks - 60 %+ FG - 60% + on 3's) but they did what they were supposed to do facing a team from the NE Conference on opening night ( not lose to Wagner... :mad: ) Also everyone got into the scoring with 8 guys with 8+ and 2 of the FR scored too. So it was a nice night to play in front of a packed house again and have them all feel involved.

SELLOUT CROWD WATCHES UCONN ROLL TO 99-48 SEASON-OPENING WIN

This was notable news from after the game

Last edited:
Also from this story, since I noticed Corey wasn't in uniform. Might be a red shirt for the 17 year old ???....like Richie a couple of years ago.

" Newcomer Jordan Hawkins sat out the game with an ankle injury that he suffered in practice on Saturday. Considered day-to-day, he has a chance to play Saturday against Coppin State in Hartford, according to Hurley.
Freshman Corey Floyd, Jr. also didn't suit up on Tuesday. When asked about that fact, Hurley said, "We'll have something on Corey tomorrow."

As Hurley said in his presser the best thing that happened is they got both baskets up so that the fans were actually able to see them play.........

Blades,

Diggins and Johnson did not look ready to me. Johnson has a very frail body and was overpowered inside a few times and committed some weak-looking fouls. Diggins overpenetrated, although he looks like he is a flashy passer. I don't really know how much these 2 will contribute and it will not surprise me if Hurley doesn't use them against the likes of Auburn and Michigan State in the BOA. By the way Michigan State lost last night to Kansas, while Auburn won big.

I would like to see what Diggins, Johnson and Hawkins can do in the next 3 cupcake games. I presume the announcement on Floyd is that he will grab a red shirt which is probably for the best as the backcourt depth is excessive.

Diggins and Johnson did not look ready to me. Johnson has a very frail body and was overpowered inside a few times and committed some weak-looking fouls. By the way Michigan State lost last night to Kansas, while Auburn won big. ----Also saw that Loyola- Chicago, another Battle for Atlantis team, blew out Uconn's next opponent Coppin St. last night.....AND Coppin also plays Depaul tonight B4 Uconn on SAT.

I would like to see what Diggins, Johnson and Hawkins can do in the next 3 cupcake games. I presume the announcement on Floyd is that he will grab a red shirt which is probably for the best as the backcourt depth is excessive.
What's the saying "the best thing about FR is they become Soph's." But yeah they both looked a little lost with the speed of the game, the crowd/noise and FR jitters of trying to do to much. Johnson actually looked way better and not so lost vs better comp of Sanogo and Whaley in the open scrimmage they had with refs. So yeah, that's the way it is with alot of FR.

So these type of games, that none of the FR had last year, are a good thing to get their feet wet. And as DH said the rotation will be easier to define in closer games. It'll probably be down to an 8-9 man group when Hawkins is back vs. the upper teams, depending how he does.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT