ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This team is 7-1 but against a soft schedule, the only real good team they beat is Providence by 5 at home, they also lost by 2 at #6 Virginia. The rest of their wins are against cupcakes so they are kind of untested except for the two games.

I will be there representing. Hopefully they can hit a few more open looks, but I will take an ugly win if that is what it takes. Hopefully tonight gives them a taste of winning over P5 schools. Let's get on a roll.

Game will be on Big Ten Network anyone know if that is available locally anywhere or have to go to a Sport Bar?

Ohio State plays Florida Atlantic tonight at 7 on espn3.

Florida Atlantic beat USF 78-62 a couple weeks ago, one of their 2 wins

Florida Atlantic beat Ohio State on OSU's Court! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boxscore:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400915154

FAU won this game at the 3 point stripe making 10 to only 4 by OSU. Boards were basically even.

It's not automatic to beat anyone any more. You gotta lace em up and play! Bad news is OSU is now looking to get payback against someone.

Last edited:
And UConn wanted payback against Northeastern after the Wagner loss - and we know how that worked out. That strong Wagner team (for those interested) has jumped out to a 2 - 5 start.

BTW KSTW, are you counting Navy as one of the cupcakes OSU beat??

Ok but what's your point usna90?? We played those teams the first two games of the year with basically brand new team.... no excuse to lose to them at all but would be much worse to lose to them 9-10 games into the season than games 1-2

Guys it's a new world. A couple of weeks ago Indiana, which beat North Carolina and Kansas (which are both top 5 teams), lost to Fort Wayne. I had never even heard of Fort Wayne University. Didn't know such a school existed. I did hear of the town or city. But not the school. Don't even know if they are D-1 or what they are. Do not know their nickname but I know they beat Indiana in Bloomington.

Point is every team has to take every game seriously and show up or else you get beat. UConn no showed those first two games especially on defense. If they played defense in those two games like they did against Syracuse they would not have lost either of those games.

Ohio State lost at home to FAU in their 10th game which is a bit different. They have to be angry and fired up by the home loss. They want redemption and a win over UConn which beat them badly last year could be a redemption. As I recall OSU has a youngish but talented team and they are having the same issues as UConn and Syracuse- shooting and scoring. It's really perplexing for UConn notwithstanding the great D because they had more open looks Monday night than any game this year and still shot 31%. It's not going to be so easy on the road. If I recall correctly OSU plays mostly man to man defense and has good athletes but after watching what UConn did against the Syracuse zone it's insane to not play zone against UConn. UConn beat Syracuse with great defense not with any good shooting vs the zone. That game was an abomination and horror show of offense by both teams.

Ok but what's your point usna90?? We played those teams the first two games of the year with basically brand new team.... no excuse to lose to them at all but would be much worse to lose to them 9-10 games into the season than games 1-2

My point is that whether or not OSU wants payback for their home loss to FAU, it doesn't translate into better play. We saw that first hand with UConn. The reason I threw in Wagner's record (although it was a bit off topic) is because some were sugar coating the loss at the time by saying that Wagner is a good team that was being lightly regarded. I still think there's no way to put lipstick on that pig - a bad loss is a bad loss.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Yes they were bad losses but Ohio State is a chance for a good win because they are Big 10 and it's on the road. UConn needs this win to help offset those losses for sure!

Last edited:
Ok gotcha usna90!! Thanks

Kstw... nothing will offset those early two losses we had but yes a W here does go a long way in the positive direction and gives these kids more hope and confidence!! It's always been a simple formula you play hard and smart for 40 minutes and you will usually win much more than you lose! Sometimes kids get that and other times they take longer to understand this.

UConn just lost this game for absolutely no reason. Purvis just committed the dumbest turnovers and continues to do this over the course of important stretches. I just don't understand it...stepping out of bounds, traveling, bad passes and it has been a consistent pattern. Jalen was nowhere to be found in the second half; how do you have such a dominant first half and a virtual no show in the second half? As the best player and PG on the team you have to create plays. The fouling was obviously a key issue because we never set our feet and fall for every pump fake. There were defiantly some questionable calls against us but I cannot blame the overall performance on that. We had every chance to win the game and we blew it. Very disheartening way to lose a game like that.

Fouls were BS. Refs gave the Taint that game!! They made about 20 more FTs then we shot!! Smh

I mean we had 7 guys playing total due to Durham out. I mean plenty of times we were hit on drives or attacks at the basket and nothing. Smh

Oh well this is the reality of this short handed season especially on the road not goin to catch any breaks.

Reactions: UconNell
We did have a lot of turnovers some unforced especially by Purv and Jalen but those guys especially Jalen is playing every minute and has a lot on his shoulders to make them even competitive in games so....

UConn wasn't good enough on offense to win this game plain and simple. Too many TOs and missed shots. UConn is shorthanded but it is what it is.

Tough turnovers...what worries me right now is Jalen looks like he's going to the league while at the same time he's not ready to win. I know a lot is being asked of him but its not outside his ability.

Solid game for the bigs, every game Kenton & Amida look better. D is ill. The ball movement goes from dominant to nonexistent.

Turnovers were atrocious.

Rodney Purvis is going to Rodney Purvis.

The officiating was criminal. Their back up center out free throwed our entire team and it was 12-3 in fouls committed in the second half when we are playing zone to reduce fouls.

Horse shit.

The good news is Facey might be turning into Gavin Edwards.

Tough turnovers...what worries me right now is Jalen looks like he's going to the league while at the same time he's not ready to win. I know a lot is being asked of him but its not outside his ability.

Solid game for the bigs, every game Kenton & Amida look better. D is ill. The ball movement goes from dominant to nonexistent.
He's not going to the league. He's been turnover prone and inefficient and his metrics show that. I still haven't seen him in a single mock.

For the NBA Jalen Adams doesn't have a good enough handle to play point guard and does not shoot well enough to play 2 guard. He has been very erratic and turnover prone and also gunshy about driving to the rim and drawing fouls, preferring Euro-step moves which lead to contorted off balance shots, misses and no points. Dan Hamilton was the same way last year fading away from contact and the result was he shot around 23% for the first 8 AAC games. Bottom line is Adams is nowhere near ready to play in the NBA.

Definitely not ready but I think homies point may have been he may still leave a la Hamilton

I'm not saying he will. He told me earlier this year he is just trying to get better and had no intention then of leaving so.

Reactions: andersonfro
He's certainly not a finished product & if he stays then he'll increase his value. I understand and to a point agree (I'm no NBA scout) but we've seen guys go early before because the league drafts potential. I'm literally talking biggest fear on this

I would like to vent a bit about this situation UConn is in now - being down to eight scholarship players before the calendar even turned to December. I was reading an article by Armando Salguero (the Dolphins beat writer), and he wrote about the fact that teams have to be careful when depending upon players with injury histories - because once the history is established, it tends to repeat itself. This year, UConn recruited Gilbert and Diarra, who were known to have issues. I'm not suggesting that UConn shouldn't take a chance on talented players with medical issues - just that they better have Plan B and Plan C in place if they intend to do so. Getting Vital was almost an afterthought this year. It's a good thing they did get him, because but it turns out that he might be the most valuable recruit they picked up. In most circles, forfeiting scholarships is considered a punishment; UConn leaves them unused on purpose. That certainly looks like a mistake at this point. My guess is that even after a year off, Gilbert's shoulder and Diarra's knees will still be an issue in the future, so UConn's staff needs to plan accordingly and make sure that they take advantage of all of their scholarships.

One more thing: Purvis' play still annoys the heck out of me. At this point I should just accept that this is the way it's going to be, but for some reason I'm still puzzled by the ridiculous mistakes he makes every time I see them.

Reactions: the Blades
I would like to vent a bit about this situation UConn is in now - being down to eight scholarship players before the calendar even turned to December. I was reading an article by Armando Salguero (the Dolphins beat writer), and he wrote about the fact that teams have to be careful when depending upon players with injury histories - because once the history is established, it tends to repeat itself. This year, UConn recruited Gilbert and Diarra, who were known to have issues. I'm not suggesting that UConn shouldn't take a chance on talented players with medical issues - just that they better have Plan B and Plan C in place if they intend to do so. Getting Vital was almost an afterthought this year. It's a good thing they did get him, because but it turns out that he might be the most valuable recruit they picked up. In most circles, forfeiting scholarships is considered a punishment; UConn leaves them unused on purpose. That certainly looks like a mistake at this point. My guess is that even after a year off, Gilbert's shoulder and Diarra's knees will still be an issue in the future, so UConn's staff needs to plan accordingly and make sure that they take advantage of all of their scholarships.

One more thing: Purvis' play still annoys the heck out of me. At this point I should just accept that this is the way it's going to be, but for some reason I'm still puzzled by the ridiculous mistakes he makes every time I see them.

I agree with everything you said. I previously mentioned that I saw both of Gilbert's injuries at the Jordan Brand game and against LMU and it looked like his shoulder was dislocated both times as a result of routine basketball contact, and nothing that was unusual. So I am not a doctor but you wonder whether he is prone to such injuries and what will happen when he drives and someone fouls him hard and there is intense contact. Will that shoulder keep popping out?

Regarding Purvis, I agree that for a guy who is a 5th year senior and was once called "the Ferrari in the garage", it just has not been a smooth ride in that car. His decision making for a player of his experience is mystifying. He did come up huge against Syracuse though, and I suspect we will see games like that, and also games where he makes critical errors at key times. The problem is UConn only has 2 experienced guards at this time meaning he is compelled to handle the ball at times. Right now it is what it is and you just have to hope for the best and that he makes solid decisions.

Jeeze you could probably put together a greatest NFL team of all time using only guys who've recovered from significant injury...might be fun to create that list.

As far as the Huskies injuries go I think it's tough to criticize...once the potential for injury comes to light do you continue to invest the time & energy into recruiting a top 10 class or don't you?

I could be wrong on this but isn't the situation with Diarra's knees far more problematic than anyone had the ability to know before this year?

Juwan didn't have to play for depth purposes this year and could have had another year for rehabilitation on an injury people come back from all the time.

Terry was a new injury so there were no red flags.

Al might really be the only guy who they gambled on but how do you not take an AA?

I'm not sure how you turn any of those players away & im not sure how you stash guys you know, barring injury, have no chance to play. Frustrating for sure though

Reactions: tcf_15
andersonfro - the problem isn't that they took guys with injury histories - it's that they took them knowing about the injuries, and then left two scholarships table. I didn't even mention Juwan - there was some talk about a possible redshirt for him before the year began if I'm not mistaken. This year essentially became a write-off before December, and that could have been avoided.

Reactions: the Blades
Durham was really the only recruit that had a serious injury history, but there's so much potential there it's fine to invest the time and energy spent to get him to come to UConn. But it's tough to criticize them with bringing in Diarra and Gilbert and say they were known to have issues. Gilbert committed on July 4th, 2015, played a full season of high school hoops, and got injured in the Jordan Brand Classic on April 15, 2016. Diarra's injury seems to have come out of nowhere since he was able to play for the entire high school hoops season as well.

And UConn did try and use their allotment of scholarships, but it just didn't work out. I don't think they expected Hamilton to leave early after last year. And during the spring, when they got Christian Vital to commit, they also targeted Justin Jackson (at Maryland now), Taurean Thompson (at Syracuse now), and a few other recruits, but it just didn't work out. You can make the argument that the 2014 and 2015 classes could have used an extra player, but ultimately, it's more shit luck than "we should have seen this coming" that 3 players are out with season ending injuries.

Reactions: andersonfro
It's really mostly very bad luck. I don't remember any time in the last 40 years when UConn lost 3 possible rotation players and 2 starters this early in a season. The only thing I can think of remotely similar is when the UConn women in 2001
lost both Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosomova, at the very end of the season. Both were All American players. UConn then lost to eventual champion ND in the Final 4. I believe that if they had those two players they would have defended ND differently. The men never had this happen before.

LOL

Anyway starting next year once we finally have like 13 scholly players, injuries IF they occur will not be much of an issue... as it is this year.

This season has become a painful reminder of why you get 13 scholarships to give. So don't hold them, don't fold them, give them away and then you got bodies when disaster hits. No use scholarships, no have bodies to play. It's really that simple. It's basic math.

It would be nice to hit on every target but they'll be better off next year for not having settled on players they didn't want this year.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT