ADVERTISEMENT

Official visitor this weekend: JUCO C.J. Jackson

tcf_15

Mar 31, 2015
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 2h2 hours ago
2016 Eastern Florida St guard, CJ Jackson, will take an official visit to UConn this weekend

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 1h1 hour ago
Eastern FL guard, CJ Jackson, is strongly considering four schools: Auburn, New Mexico, UConn & Missouri http://www.jucorecruiting.com/cj-jackson-eastern-florida…

Here are his stats from this past year: http://thefcsaasports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/players/cjjacksonehg8

If he comes in, he'd have 3 years of eligibility left.

This guy is a small (5'11", 160 lbs) point guard who shoots 3s. He was a 2 star coming out of high school. We already have 2 smallish point guards who are the only guys that are going to play point guard, so this guy would serve a role as a John Gwynn type scorer- 5'11" shooting guard off the bench. It creates a group of small guards who might be good for pressure but not good matched up against bigger backcourts. The ideal guy would be a guy who is 6'3" or 6'4" who can handle, defend and shoot a few 3s.

Yeah but VC has him as 5'11" currently so can you grow 3 inches and then shrink back to original size? I guess it is possible.

Yeah but VC has him as 5'11" currently so can you grow 3 inches and then shrink back to original size? I guess it is possible.
If I read it right ...the link/profile you provided has him as 5-11 in 2014 as a sophomore in HS..... yeah that's at least a couple years and 3 schools ago..... VC also lists his school as Olympic High School, Charlotte, NC..... he played at Montverde in Fla after that then JUCO

Last edited:
Blades,

The link was updated to include the summary of the status of current recruiting- although perhaps they did not update the height/weight. If the kid did grow, that would explain why he is now more attractive to D-1 schools. I guess someone needs to get out a tape measure for his visit?

Blades,

The link was updated to include the summary of the status of current recruiting- although perhaps they did not update the height/weight. If the kid did grow, that would explain why he is now more attractive to D-1 schools. I guess someone needs to get out a tape measure for his visit?

And VC probably needs a map for his last HS school as I mentioned above.... they're only 3 states off, LOL !

The Eastern Florida guard has chopsticks for legs. His face is about as bare as a grocery-less kitchen cabinet. Generously listed at 170 pounds, his upper body is stuck in neutral between puberty and his adolescent years. And yet, he’ll drop 44 points on you in a heart beat while chewing a piece of spearmint. Ask Indian River State when the freshmen went 15-of-25 from the field, including nine 3-pointers on Jan. 30. Two games later he bombed away again for 39 points and eight 3s. “He’s a different type of player than what you’ll see from a lot of guys who scores points like that,” said Eastern Florida coach Jeremy Shulman. “He’s not an explosive athlete or a big strong guard. He’s a thin 6-2 guy who’s incredibly skilled.”

Hopefully if UConn gets him he will pan out better than some other JUCO guards UConn has had like Covington Cormier, Monquencio Hartnett and more recently Sam Cassell Jr. In fact the only productive JUCO recruit I can remember at the moment was Johnnie Selvie who was a power forward similar to Shonn Miller in production, maybe a slightly better rebounder. I am sure there were a few others but Selvie is the only JUCO guy I can think of that became a major contributor.

Speaking of 6-2/ 170 lb guards here is a UNLV de-commit from St. Thomas More that some CBS/24/7 writers are linking to Uconn as of yesterday..... Oz ???... other offers from SMU, BC, Dayton, Tulsa... He played with Enoch apparently:

Christian Vital..24/7 Sports

JUCO coach told me the plan is for him to arrive on campus tomorrow.

Article from yesterday.... didn't say much..... some Uconn visit talk:

Schools chase after CJ Jackson | HoopSeen
CJ Jackson, a 6-foot-2 guard from Charlotte, North Carolina, falls into the latter as the junior college standout has immersed himself into a high-level recruitment. A lethal 45-percent shooter from deep, Jackson recently took his first official visit on March 27, a trip that took him to UConn. “It went well. It was nice,” the Carolina native said about the AAC program. “I like the coaching staff. They really care for their players.” Next up will be an official visit to Missouri, a trip that will take place this weekend. Jackson also spoke on offers from Ohio State, California, UNLV, Virginia Tech, and Seton Hall...

Aren't Jackson and Vital competing for the same spot on the roster? Who is the more desirable of the two? 247 Crystal Ball has Vital as 67% to UConn. That is a strong crystal ball.

Aren't Jackson and Vital competing for the same spot on the roster? Who is the more desirable of the two? 247 Crystal Ball has Vital as 67% to UConn. That is a strong crystal ball.

KSTW what's yours say:

crystal_ball.jpg

Reactions: Shaggydog84
My crystal ball says UConn will land one of the two. Seems like they are both being recruited for one spot, although if Purvis leaves that could change........

I like Reinhardt's fit now since he can play both the 2 and 3. Takes pressure off of Larrier and Jackson and gives us guard depth. He isn't someone who needs the ball in his hands.

Reactions: the Blades
I like Reinhardt too from experience standpoint and 3-pt shooter. Still can add Jackson or Vital + the big 4 we need

I wasn't suggesting that UConn take both if Purvis leaves. I think Vital and Jackson are vying for one spot and Reinhart would be a sensible plugin for Purvis if Purvis leaves. But if Purvis leaves it may cause UConn to lean on one of Vital or Jackson depending on the defensive skills of each.

Reactions: rta32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT