ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line

billnat

May 10, 2006
Their been alot of talk about how important the Offensive Line will be in order to make a major step towards an improved offence. Their is alot of players returning and one of their two best recruits a OG, Kyle Schafenacker who are fighting for the starting positions. If Kyle dose not win a starting spot will he be a starter before the year over or will the upper class play well enough to keep him on the second unit. While qb, wr and rb's are all keys to an improved offence, it seems everyone believes the OL needs to make the bigest improvement. GO HUSKIES!

Bill if you want a good read regarding the OL check out this article,
Kevin Duffy: UConn's returning offensive line growing together
I think the biggest thing this year is going to be how well DeLeone schemes are understood by his lineman. Because
if you read this article it sounds like it has been a massive fail regarding GDL in terms of communication to the group
he has been working with. Maybe finally dumping him as the OC so he can focus on the OL line duties he was trying
to handle(along with OC) since he took them away from Foley, might help.

But some of the quotes by the OL are very telling:

"I really think we kind of just laid an egg when it came to relying on just playing football," said senior tackle Jimmy Bennett.
"It's like -- you see the guys coming from the left, so believe they'recoming from the left and block those guys. Forget all
the other stuff."A lot of times," Bennett continued, "guys would get to the line and look around and be like `I don't know
what the hell I'm doing.'"

"Me and Steve, for example, have certain calls we only make with each other," Bennett said. "The thing is, I'll make a
call for Steve, but I'll make that call to (back-up) Tyler Samra and he doesn't really understand what I mean by that call.
He doesn't understand the footwork that I'm going to use."
"We had always been a big-time powerhouse in the run game," Bullock said, "and for it to go consistently like that over
the years and for usto just drop the ball and end up last -- or pretty close to last -- in the rankings, we took it personally."

So when you read this stuff it sounds like GDL zone blocking scheme has created more confusion than it's worth.
Especially if the entire unit hasn't all been on the same page, since GDL took over. That is the first thing that has to
change this year. Then figuring out the the depth chart. Which seems to have enough guys who could step up if the
1's aren't getting it done.
This post was edited on 8/19 10:40 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT