ADVERTISEMENT

Nolan-Facey and Purvis-Adams Starting Lineup Questions

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This discussion was started in the UConn-Houston thread but deserves its own thread.

Phil Nolan grabbed 8 boards in yesterday's game and I think the starting 5 is his by default until Brimah gets back. Facey does his best but 206 pounds just does not cut it at that position on this level. I think Facey has to backup at the 4 and 5 for now. Phil's offense is clumsy but he can shore up the interior D well. He understands positioning better than Facey and Enoch. Facey relies too much on athleticism and Enoch just doesn't understand positioning at all.

Adams starting for Purvis: there is a debate since the beginning of the year as to whether it is Gibbs or Purvis who should yield a starting job for Adams. In my opinion Gibbs is playing too well to be taken out. Although he doesn't finish his drives well, he has been money shooting the ball and is clearly a clutch player. He saved the Tulane game, he saved the Memphis game, and from what I read yesterday he hit two dagger 3s that propelled UConn on the winning run. He was advertised as a strong 3 point shooter and a clutch performer and since AAC play started we have seen both of those things. His finishing of his drives is really not good and it makes us all long for Kemba, but Kemba is not going to be showing up, so we have to hope that Adams will do the requisite driving (and hopefully finish a few, although he has not been a much better finisher than Gibbs), and Gibbs can play off of him.

As far as Purvis, it's been widely suggested that he does not have the frame of mind to come off the bench and therefore must be left in the starting lineup. My response to this is that the team is not called the Rodney Purvis Huskies, it is the UConn Huskies. Purvis needs to accepts a role as a 6th man. He is a quality 3 point shooter and he could be an Albert Mouring or a Rashad Anderson with better defense than those two off the bench, if he puts his mind to it. So the coaches have to help him put his mind to it. That is what coaches are for.

Correct on both accounts, 1st despite his lack of top end PG quickness, Gibbs still has a much better handle than Purvis and plays way more under control and able to run an offense. Same with Jalen as far his as handle as he learns OTJ. Uconn's always been better over the years when they have 2 guys who can handle in the back court. Purvis needs to just deal with it until he can learn what a good shot is or to be able to play under control. ( His first 2 drives of the game he crashed into guys for 2 fouls and and back to the bench for the 1st half). He was in there for his excellent D during the close out yesterday but RP needs to deffer on offense, because his game and hoops IQ /ability to create offense for others once he starts dribbling is limited and that's OK. Scoring doesn't always mean winning since the history of hoops( see Dyson in 2009/10), you need guys who play smart, do others things and some who can make winning plays in the clutch, Gibbs has been the difference maker at key times (as you mention) in the last 3 wins.

As far as Phil the 8 rebs and good hedge outs and position defense was a big factor yesterday, but also unmentioned was he kicked it out when he drew traffic and had 3 assists ( he hit Calhoun wide open for his only points at a key point in the game for a huge 3pt ) Winning makes everyone look better, but I liked the front court rotation KO used and the changes he made in the line-up, props for not sitting pat and shaking things up. Smart ball, D and effort will go a long way if they want to save the season...along with playing under control in half court offense, like they did in the last 8 minutes, because it's great to want to run and create offense in transition but your opponent can take that away from you at anytime by sending 3 guys back.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT