ADVERTISEMENT

new lessons

northdakotahusky

Nov 27, 2010
I think that may have been the biggest moment where amida's foul prone play really hurt us. He really let down his teamates. I think he will respond appropriately.

I really enjoy watching our young teams develop. I enjoys watching seasoned teams win championships more, but I like this nonetheless.

I'm looking forward to watching brimah learn how to play 32 minutes without fouling out. I want to see purvis learn how to play basketball. I want to see hamilton become a go to guy. All of it. I love it all.

North, I missed the first foul. But a few on okafor were really ticky tacky. The duke Big is a good player, but he was getting Jordan like treatment.

It definitely hurt, because brimah is probably your second best option in the half court, which is a little depressing.

The first foul he tried to take a charge on a baseline drive. Not really a smart play. A 7'0" center is not in there to attempt to get position for a charge by a driving player on the baseline. It was a borderline call but didn't look like his feet were set.

I called Brimah's foul trouble in this game in another thread. Okafor is a smart player and has clever moves and it was easy to see he was going to be a difficult guard. He also gets the ball deep in scoring position and when that happens it is basically you foul or let him score.

Brimah needs to get a lot stronger and needs to start playing better positional basketball. He simply is not ready to play top flight opponents. He got 40 against a horrible team on a bunch of lob passes and uncontested dunks with basically no defense being played on him. The bigger stronger teams that body him and push him out of his spots will defend him with ease, and on the other end they will force him to foul because he is easily pushed off his spots. He is forced to foul when he surrenders position. Okafor and other stronger players get the ball deep against Brimah, and it is all over. He has to get stronger and smarter. He plays a lot like Chuck Okwandu who was actually stronger than Brimah. Okwandu was one of the most foul prone centers UConn has ever had, but by his 4th year he became a serviceable backup and critical component on the 2011 championship team. Earlier in his career, Okwandu was fouling out in 8 minutes of action. It is easy to whine about the refs like you guys do, but this is happening EVERY GAME so it isn't the refs when you see it happen again and again and again. Brimah has to be smarter and not let the refs make a call and he can do that by playing better positionally, and not letting guys get the ball in spots where all he can do is foul to stop them from scoring.

This post was edited on 12/20 10:03 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Agree about the bad calls. They may be ticky tack, but they are definitely a theme. My point with the original post was the Duke game was probably the biggest moment in Brimah's young career where his foul trouble really hurt the team. Last year's team could limp on without him. This year's team needs him. The Duke game was the marquee on our schedule. Duke has the premier big in the college game and Brimah laid as big as an egg as you can. I'm hoping this motivates our hard working young center. I think it will.

This post was edited on 12/20 12:55 PM by northdakotahusky

This post was edited on 12/20 12:56 PM by northdakotahusky

Well I was too much of a wreck to watch the game live so I just now watched the Duke game and I was FAR more satisfied than I thought I was going to be. I think this team has a shot to be good by the end of the year. Omar looked ok and might give us something, Purvis drove a few times and looked more comfortable........ Facey looked to be working hard.

Brimah is a fouling machine and just doesn't understand the game yet and wont for this year for sure. He just has a lot to learn about the game.

I am excited for the first time this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT