ADVERTISEMENT

New 2018 Commit ( Lukas Kišūnas - new video )

Wow! A great acquisition. Now let's hire Jake Voskuhl so he can teach the kid how to defend the post and outlet pass.

I really like this pick up. Great size and euro skill in the post. Envisioning a bigger version of Gavin Edwards.

We are pretty hot right now. Need to keep the momentum on the court once the season starts,

New look ( not highlights).... just uploaded on youtube:

Last edited:
His post moves in that video are not smooth and he doesn't finish them well, but he does show very good court sense, passes out of the post well and seems to move around well. He also looks aggressive. He is a nice project.

4 yr 5 who will do well in KO’s system IMHO. Smart 5 who can pass, is physical & not afraid to rebound. Who’s the last one we’ve had with that? Needs to develop no doubt. Had some decent suitors so KO’s not the only one who likes him. Okafor has really only been a real stud in the middle. Thabeet was solid in College but wilted against any good comp that came along. Spent more time on the floor in those games. This kid is different, prob not a shot blocker but could be still growing...

Well now that we've seen some of his JR tape ( though normally we don't get to see the bad stuff in these fluff videos), we know where the bar is set..not very high ...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
I love low bars
Yeah, I had asked in one of the threads how we can possibly expect 5 star players to come to Uconn in this environment (player exodus, AAC, rough past 3 years) and was given some reasoning....which I nodes to but didn’t agree with. At this point we need KO to will this team to greatness...that’s how 4 & 5 star players will be atttracted. Plus, not sure exactly how many 5 stars we’ve gotten over the years but we will have to work with the 2018 3 stars & hope the current team surprises on the upside.

Reactions: the Blades
I love low bars
Since Dom's already got him @ an Olander level I guess we can't go much lower...:eek:..... unless we go to a Mandeldove level.. but since Dove was a 4 star by Scout :
6359879152385554971910295078_Forrest-Gump-Box-of-Chocolates.jpg

Last edited:
At this point we need KO to will this team to greatness....Plus, not sure exactly how many 5 stars we’ve gotten over the years but we will have to work with the 2018 3 stars & hope the current team surprises on the upside.
+1.....Winning !!!...... Regarding 5 stars just checked the recent Rivals history, KO had Daniel Hamilton 2014, Jalen Adams 2015, before that it was back to the JC era..... Andre Drummond & DeAndre Daniels in 2011..... Alex Oriakhi 2009 and Kemba Walker & Ater Majok(ouch) in 2008. And remember Uconn/ KO had a # 8 ranked national recruiting class in 2016 (Basketball Commits) until he trainwrecked the whole thing right at the start of last year ( Wagner/ Northeastern..WTF !) ....again ....WINNING !!!! ...he's gotta get it done... If you win they will come

Last edited:
Mandeldove was one of the worst bigs I have ever seen, but UConn did recruit some other guys who were not good. Calhoun was really high on Justin Brown, Ajou Ajou Deng, Ater Majok, none of those guys were even contributors.

I think Kisunas will probably be better than Olander. He is actually a little bigger than Tyler was. But let's not forget Olander played on 2 national championship teams, and that UConn gets beat in the Big East Tournament in 2011 without his contributions against the Syracuse zone. You guys are looking for gloriously skilled 5s and that is not what UConn has had in the middle. Look at the history, names like Rod Sellers and Jake Voskuhl and Alex Oriakhi. Even Emeka was nothing better than an average NBA player who was smallish for the 5 position at the pro level. You all undervalue the dirty work players who were the backbone of UConn's success in the past. UConn won titles with Jake Voskuhl and Oriakhi/Okwandu in the middle. I would not set the bar that low on this guy, certainly not Mandeldove low. Mandeldove didn't want to play basketball. This kid wants to ball. Big difference.

KSTW....Just stop with this "you guys" terminology, LOL ! ......by the way AO was a 5 star McD AA.... and PS.... don't look now but this 2018 class is currently ranked :
  • Natl Rank: 27
  • AAC Rank: 1
by 24/7.....but what will KO do with it ??? ..........WINNING !!!!

Last edited:
27th ranked is nothing special really. I don't know if it's done.

As far as "you guys" I am referring to all these posters who are referring to all the supposed blue chip guys UConn had in the past. It's a myth. KO has brought in similar or better talent to what UConn recruited in the past. I do agree though that KO still has to prove he can win with the talent like JC did. We will see what he does this year. I personally think the team has the potential to be pretty good.

KSTW....Just stop with this "you guys" terminology, LOL ! ......by the way AO was a 5 star McD AA.... and PS.... don't look now but this 2018 class is currently ranked :
  • Natl Rank: 27
  • AAC Rank: 1
by 24/7.....but what will KO do with it ??? ..........WINNING !!!!
It'll be better than 27th. They still have Akinjo in there as a 3 star recruit even though he's now 4 stars in their rankings.

I agree though that 27th isn't great for UConn standards. But we'll see how all these guys turn out. If they don't produce better than their rankings then KO will be gone.

Did u make ur own soap box KSTW? Holy s**t dude. Don’t lump bro. It’s all good. Ur a smart guy, but u seem to forget some of the past posts. Not sure I’d call Okafor an average pro with double double stats throughout his health portion of his career. And as I just posted, I’m ready for a smart, do-what-u-have-to-do-to-win center. I’m good with this pickup. Some are, some aren’t. By viewing his early ‘17 video, agree with Blades. Saw some stuff u typically don’t see in these highlight vids, but he’s got this season & wont be expected to produce as a Frosh so give him 2 yrs & see where he is....

And as I just posted, I’m ready for a smart, do-what-u-have-to-do-to-win center. I’m good with this pickup. Some are, some aren’t..
Me too Shaggy, so I guess we're not some of the "you guys" / strawmen that exist somewhere on this board.... plus I take no "ownership " of his current Olander
ranking that he received since Tyler did have a few issues off the court ...:D...

Last edited:
It'll be better than 27th. They still have Akinjo in there as a 3 star recruit even though he's now 4 stars in their rankings. I agree though that 27th isn't great for UConn standards. But we'll see how all these guys turn out. If they don't produce better than their rankings then KO will be gone.
True it should get better but I don't think it's terrible right now either .....If they stay #1 in the AAC... then KO needs to coach like it, as you pointed out Hooper, especially since he's had the top classes 2 out of 3 years...and in the top 3 classes of the AAC, 4 out of the last 5 years

Last edited:
This Tyler Olander comparison is not at all fair. Kisunas is a bit bigger, and more capable of being a 5. He is a project, but he looks like a tough player who potentially could fit well into the offense Ollie would like to run. Offenses have to have the right combination of players and skill sets to work, and it seems like there could be proper pairings being made here. Also, you need complimentary players, you can't have a 4 or 5 star player at all positions. You can win with a couple of 4/5 star wing/guard types and role players around them.

This Tyler Olander comparison is not at all fair. .... Also, you need complimentary players, you can't have a 4 or 5 star player at all positions. You can win with a couple of 4/5 star wing/guard types and role players around them.
True Uconn's done that before... actually that had been a Uconn MO for years..remember the so-called "donut whole" teams ( no center) of the 90's........
But regarding Olander....that's Dom's baby, you need to discuss that with him.

Last edited:
Olander in that he is not talented, slow, not powerful, not athletic...... Call me crazy but I just dont want guys like this taking spots that our history ould say should go to better players. Maybe that is just who we are now.

Dont get me wrong, I will be all over the coaches when this kid plays minutes and never gets better but will also be the first one out of the gate to eat crow.............I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG.

Call me crazy but I just dont want guys like this taking spots that our history ould say should go to better players. Maybe that is just who we are now.
Dont get me wrong, I will be all over the coaches when this kid plays minutes and never gets better but will also be the first one out of the gate to eat crow.............I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG.

....but what exactly is that history ? Uconn's 12 and 13th schollies in order have been:
...................12th....................13th
2016-17 Mike Noyes..........nobody
2015-16 transfer ...............Nnamdi Amilo
2014-15 Nnamdi Amilo......Pat Lenehan
2013-14 transfer................Leon Tolksdorf
2012-13 nobody.................nobody
2011-12 nobody.................nobody
2010-11 Michael Bradley...nobody
2009-10 Jamaal Trice.........nobody
2008-09 nobody.................nobody
2007-08 nobody.................nobody

I think you got the history wrong....So your saying that you would rather have this spot (to a player w/ offers from Virginia, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Purdue, Creighton, Providence, DePaul, Northwestern, Boston College) go to a bunch of nobodies (not filled) or walk-ons ..Those are your better players ? because that's been the Uconn history of the 12 & 13th scholarships.

Last edited:
Reactions: Afghusky15
Blades you took the words out of my mouth. There is revisionist history going on in this thread. Ollie's recruiting, especially allowing for the APR sanctions he inherited, has been as good or better than it was under Calhoun. With the exception of his first two seasons he hasn't shown that his coaching is as good or as better. He gets a pass on last year because of the plethora of injuries. He has now had the time to perfect a system, a coaching staff and an offense and recruit different parts for that offense. Let's see how he makes it work. You can build a car with different parts and either the car will run smoothly or break down. Let's see how the car is running after about 10-15 games.

I hear ya KSTW.....Like I've posted in another thread, Larrier already said this is his last go round. The key then will be Jalen ( which I would guess he'd be gone). That will open up a need for a premium combo guard or more slots if someone were to transfer. But Jalen could do a Shabazz and comeback for his SR year for all we know. I think you said it before about numbers, right now until KO proves he can win again, he's gotta go with numbers and see who steps up. And you gotta fill these schollies, especially after last year and with the concussion stuff in all sports. You can't be playing with 10-11 man rosters anymore. The other factor is unless a high ranked combo knows with certainty that Jalen is gone...... he might not want to throw himself into the current 4 guard mix below for 2018-19:

2018-19 Projected Roster
GUARDs
Jalen Adams..........6-3/195.....PG/SG.....SR (???)
Alterique Gilbert......6-0/175..... PG...........RS SO
Christian Vital..........6-2/178.......SG..........JR
James Akinjo..........6-0/160.......PG......... FR

WINGS:
Sid Wilson...............6-7/183......G/F...........RS FR
Tyler Polley..............6-8/190......F...............SO
Emmitt Matthews...6-7/180.....G/F...........FR

FORWARDS
Mamadou Diarra.....6-8/217..... PF.......RS SO
Kwintin Williams......6-7/211...... F........JR
Isaiah Whaley..........6-9/190.......F...... SO

BIGS
Eric Cobb............... 6-9/280........C/F......SR
Josh Carlton............6-9/242........C/F.....SO
Lukas Kisunas.........6-10/256......C........FR

Last edited:
We don't know if Jalen or Larrier are gone. My feeling is Jalen will be more ready than Larrier after this season, but we shall see. Larrier absolutely shouldn't do what Danny Hamilton did, which was have a very up and down season marked by an incredible shooting slump (like 20% FGs through first 8 AAC games), and then go pro. His decision to go pro worse than DeAndre Daniels decision to go pro. DeAndre had at least played well in 6 NCAA tourney games and might reasonably have believed his stock was at max value. Hamilton had a up and down season, shot horrendously for long stretches, and then had the worst NBA combine ever. Someone needs to sit Larrier's ass down and say, "son, you are very talented but you ain't done shit yet, and here is what happened to two other guys in our program, FYI, who played 2 full seasons (in DD's case 3 full seasons) of college ball." Maybe KO should have that conversation with him.

Blades,

As far as your other contention about roster depth......I think last season taught all of us, and KO, a lesson in the importance of roster depth. If you leave a couple schollies open you roll the dice, plain and simple.

I missed that. Not sure it's very wise to have done that but who knows, maybe he changes his mind. If he has a season like Hamilton did shooting the ball before he left, he should change his mind.

Blades,
As far as your other contention about roster depth......I think last season taught all of us, and KO, a lesson in the importance of roster depth. If you leave a couple schollies open you roll the dice, plain and simple.
True, the worst part is not only did KO have only 11 roster players, but 2 of them(Rique and Durham) were coming off double surgeries. Durham was even talked about as a redshirt before the season and number shortage. But you live and learn... hopefully that depth issue seems to be in the rear view mirror.

hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-crossed_1f91e.png

How is it possible that someone who played 1 full season 3 yrs ago & and averaged 8ppg can declare he’s going pro after this season? Wtf r these kids thinking of? I really hope he’s smarter on the court...

Last 5 star was 2011 with Drummond and while a beast in the pro's he was so disappointing here for one year.

It is what it is....either Ollie can coach lower level players up (doesn't seem like he can) or we are hoping we get lightening in a bottle.....

What is the plan.....because I dont see one other than to get a rag tag group and hope for the best.

I was referring to ESPN rankings but your point is VALID. Jalen was the #25 player in the class inside ESPN......stud. DHAM was #30 and first 4 star under the 5's on ESPN....stud.

Rique is a stud. Sid Wilson looks dynamic as well.

Maybe my view of recruiting is not as dramatically bad as I made it seem. Still, not high at all on this last kid. Total spare that belongs at Tulane or something not UCONN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT