ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Thread

Catch an alley oop or box out on the very tight Zion FT, UCF wins.

Ashton Langford was averaging 3.7 points per game and shooting 34% FGs. And not starting or playing very much. I recall when he was being recruited people pointed out he didn’t shoot well in high school and someone kept posting in that thread that he had “elite penetration skills” which were so unstoppable that he wouldn’t need to shoot jumpers, he would simply penetrate at will and score when he wanted going to the hole. That didn’t happen in 2 years at PC. He might be better off at a mid major.
I guess you didn't get my sarcasm...but I brought up his poor shooting in this thread: Makai Ashton-Langford ...plus that he was a PG and shot like a bad center on FT's...I guess despite KO's keen eye for talent ...;).. Uconn lucked out...

Last edited:
Reactions: UconNell
I see Nova just snuck by St. Mary's (who beat Gonzaga for the WCC title) last night @ the XL. Hopefully the AAC does better than the Big Least did so far. If Nova doesn't pull out the 4 point win, the Big Least teams would've all been out after their 1st games. Uconn can use the money and a payback for all the NCAA credits we brought these AAC slackers with the Final 4/NC run. But I'm sure Cronin & Co. will do their obligatory NCAA fold, UCF will be out in game 2 (Duke) if they even get by VCU. So it's all up to you Kelvin Sampson.

Everything running to form for the AAC,
to bad Zion got away with 2 offensive fouls on the last play and Duke got away with a shove in the back on his missed FT, or it would have been Coach K and the Dukies going home...but it looks like the refs had their marching orders to keep Duke and Zion on the ratings roller coaster..

Last edited:
Everything running to form for the AAC, to bad Zion got away with 2 offensive fouls on the last play and Duke got away with a shove in the back on his missed FT, or it would have been Coach K and the Dukies going home...but it looks like the refs had their marching orders to keep Duke and Zion on the ratings roller coaster..

blades, you definitely could have called Zion for charging as he lowered his shoulder on Taylor, at the beginning of that drive.

I didn’t think Barrett pushed off as Zion alligator armed the FT. If that was Dawkins, he needed to box out more aggressively. If anything, the backside guy could have been called.

That being said, UCF still had their chances. And I think the dunk to go up 74-70 should have been a shot clock violation.

UCF has to convert a 2 on 1 break, Fall has to foul Zion in a way that prevents the score, and then UCF has to do a better job blocking Barrett out on the FT miss. All of that and UCF missed two in and out shots at the end which still would have won the game. Duke was flat lucky to win the game and they admitted it, but usually even NCAA champions have games like this that they pull out of their rectums.

Speaking of which, I recently watched the ESPN 30/30 production on the NC State 1983 championship team. Between the ACC tournament and the NCAA tournament, both of which they won, they had around 5 games like this one, pulling victory out of the jaws of defeat for assorted reasons, some were great comebacks, some were lucky breaks at the end, and some were the result of terrible strategic decisions by opponents like Guy Lewis deciding to go into a deliberate slowdown in the championship game vs. Houston, with personnel not built to play such a game. 2 things seemed to be recurring themes in their wins: Valvano kept making teams beat him with FTs at the end of the game and their opponents missed every crucial FT in every game that could have been won with crucial FT makes; and NC State also seemed to get a lot of key offensive rebounds from their bigs late in games.

NC State even got a lucky off court break: UNLV star Sidney Green completely trashed NC State big man Thurl Bailey in the media before their game, and a fired up Bailey then had his best game of the NCAA Tournament in response.

Last edited:
With the exception of Gonzaga, it is all Power 5 teams left in the NCAA tournament. The only seed lower than 5 left in the field is 12th seeded Oregon.

Duke looks like they will have to beat Virginia Tech and Michigan State just to get to the Final 4, which is going to be a tough task.

With the exception of Gonzaga, it is all Power 5 teams left in the NCAA tournament. The only seed lower than 5 left in the field is 12th seeded Oregon.

Duke looks like they will have to beat Virginia Tech and Michigan State just to get to the Final 4, which is going to be a tough task.
Correction..... with the exception of Gonzaga, it's all " Power 6" teams left, Houston from the P-6 is in there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: UconNell
UCF has to convert a 2 on 1 break, Fall has to foul Zion in a way that prevents the score, and then UCF has to do a better job blocking Barrett out on the FT miss. All of that and UCF missed two in and out shots at the end which still would have won the game. Duke was flat lucky to win the game and they admitted it, but usually even NCAA champions have games like this that they pull out of their rectums.
All true and there's alot of things both teams could of done better, but the refs decided this game for Duke plain and simple...

Also remember the emphasis on hook & holds ? This also should been an Flagrant-1 on Duke on that same Zion rebound:
D2dpiB7WwAEb_Uz.jpg

Last edited:
To me the most interesting matchup in the sweet 16 is Gonzaga-FSU. I am looking forward to that
game. It’s a Final 4 caliber matchup.

I would like to see Houston take out Kentucky but don’t know if Washington will play. If he does Kentucky has a significant inside edge. Houston has a big edge in experience and maybe in toughness.

Every time I have seen Auburn play in the last few weeks they have been incredible. Their balll movement, 3 point shooting and team athleticism is most impressive.

Every time I have seen Auburn play in the last few weeks they have been incredible. Their balll movement, 3 point shooting and team athleticism is most impressive.
Glad to see anybody destroy Good Ol' Boy Roy and that dirty UNC team who gets favorable treatment from they NCAA, so I was a rooting with Charles and I was an Auburn fan tonight...:)

Glad to see anybody destroy Good Ol' Boy Roy and that dirty UNC team who gets favorable treatment from they NCAA, so I was a rooting with Charles and I was an Auburn fan tonight...:)

Hope you know Bruce Pearl is not exactly a choirboy. Although the dude is a proven coach.

Houston is getting beaten up on the boards so far this game. UK has some bigger guys inside and in these physical, tough, high pressure tournament games, when shooting percentages wither, it’s size and rebounding inside that wins. UK has an advantage there.

More like Houston's small ball is bitin' em' in the ass. This 6-8 center, 6-5 PF, 3 G's doesn't work if the refs are gonna play quick whistle with their pressure. It's like I said w/ the gals vs. UCLA. What the refs call will effect the game... big time...looks like the Squid got in the zebras ears on the Houston hand checks.

Last edited:
Kentucky was +13 on the boards, that is the bottom line on why they won. I gave Houston a shot to win based on their experience and toughness and coaching of Sampson, but those factors were not enough.

This game shows again why small ball doesn't work( are you watching DH ?) Good bigs can always overpower small ball. Houston tried to use their quickness and double teamed the UK bigs everytime the ball went in the post to make up for their lack of size, but that always leaves someone open or not boxed out.

The biggest thing I see over and over vs. the comp in this tourney is you can't have a Polley or Wilson playing the 4 next year if Uconn wants to win. Hopefully 1 or 2 guys who sat on the bench last year will move on and DH will find some grown men bigs to add up front.

Last edited:
Kentucky was +13 on the boards, that is the bottom line on why they won. I gave Houston a shot to win based on their experience and toughness and coaching of Sampson, but those factors were not enough.
Musical chairs HC'ing season, Buzz Williams leaving Va Tech right after they loss to Duke for TX A&M ?.... and this from Houston's sugar daddy Ferrita sounds like Sampson may be headed to ARK.

Last edited:
The buzz on Buzz is he is going to Texas A&M. $3.5 million offer. Texas Tech is in the Elite 8 tonight and happy with their coach Chris Beard. One of best defenses in the country.

I don't understand why Tony Bennett plays that 5'5" point guard Clark as much as he does. I have seen a few Virginia games this year in which the opponent played "bully ball", posting a much bigger guard up on him and getting easy baskets and fouls. Kid got in quick foul trouble tonight and Virginia made a run as soon as he was taken out of game.

I realize Bennett was also an undersized point guard and a teacher's pet thing is going on (it does happen even at high level sports teams, and ex Yankees manager Joe Girardi used to drive me with his affinity for certain players who were perceived as "gritty" and "gamers" but couldn't hit .220). But this is the NCAA TOURNAMENT. It's win or go home and you can't be playing 4 on 5.

The games last night were excellent, especially the Purdue v. Virginia game. If Cline makes 2 FTs end of regulation, Virginia goes home. But Cline missed a FT, Diakite hit a jumper at the buzzer to send game to OT and Virginia wins.

I was impressed with the quality of basketball I saw in both games. Virginia’s big men are classic dirty work bigs. I noticed on multiple occasions, Salt batted offensive rebounds out to the guards. Virginia’s rebounding fundamentals are outstanding and they execute those fundamentals with big bodies. Diakite looks like a poor man’s Deniis Rodman.

Gonzaga lost because Texas Tech played great D and Hachimura at the end of the game tried to do WAY too much and played hero ball like Christian Vital but even crazier and more aggressive. Honestly that kid should stay in school. He is a really good scorer but he needs work on his rebounding and passing and his 3 ball. He is a 3 on the next level and all those skills must be refined.

Moretti played great for Texas Tech at the end of that game. TT played a very smart game and I never saw Gonzaga struggle to get good shots like they did last night. By the end of the game they were clearly flustered and they knew they were beat and had to go home. They should sit Hachimura down, show him tape of the last 5 minutes and tell him that is not a lottery pick with his decisions and also getting his shot blocked by smaller players.

Josh Perkins has admitted that he was ball-faked into interfering with the inbounds passer and drawing the bonehead technical foul at the end of the Gonzaga-Texas Tech game:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...922/zags-perkins-rues-bonehead-tech-late-loss

It's been a long time since I have seen that type of technical foul called but it's always good to ball fake on an inbounds situation like that because the last think they want is the ball stolen by Gonzaga under their own basket.

Duke goes home!

All 3 of my picks to win are out. Final 4 is set- Virginia v Auburn and Michigan State v. Texas Tech. May the best team win!

I love it that the chalk has all gone home.

This final 4 reads like an NIT final 4. With exception of Michigan state. Although, they are kind of an ugly blue blood devoid of lottery picks.

Keep chopping wood, play defense, rebound and with an experienced group, you never know.

3 of the Final 4 teams are defense-first teams, the only team known for its offense is Auburn, which shoots and makes a lot of 3s. They lost their best big to injury, but their guard play against Kentucky was stellar (especially by their point guard Harper who is very underrated).

So it’s not a sexy Final 4 but all 4 teams are playing good basketball.

The Virginia “Pack line” defense doesn’t match up well with Auburn, but if Auburn is cold shooting the 3, they will have a big problem generating interior offense.

Khalid, I think that’s what DH wants to turn us into... that tough minded defensive team with experience. But with Calhoun like playmakers/finishers in the back court.

Otherwise we’ll be Cinncy.

Musical chairs HC'ing season, Buzz Williams leaving Va Tech right after they loss to Duke for TX A&M ?.... and this from Houston's sugar daddy Ferrita sounds like Sampson may be headed to ARK.
I guess Mick is not all that coveted !

UCLA offered Calipari $48 million for 6 years and Cal said “WTF? You kidding me? No!!!!!”

Apparently an issue is that UCLA doesn’t charter flights for players and coaches- they fly commercial. Another issue may be the shoddy treatment of Alford and a perception within the industry of an unstable support mechanism of that program. Also, the PAC 12 kind of sucks in basketball now.

I watched the first NIT semifinal tonight as Wichita State managed to blow an 11 point lead late in the game and lose to Lipscomb by 7.

Wichita imploded at the end of the game starting with a bizarre on court shouting match between Wichita State teammates Dennis, a freshman guard, and Echenique, a junior center. The argument started when Echenique flashed to the post after a pick and roll, was wide open, and Dennis failed to pass him the ball. Once there was a stoppage in play Echenique walked over to Dennis and got in his face, and Dennis yelled right back at him. Gregg Marshall then ran out on the Court, to calm his players. Wichita was still up
by 5. But It was all downhill from there. Matthews of Lipscomb, who had 45 on N.C. State, had 34 on Wichita. I am glad I am not a Wichita State fan because I would have been sick to my stomach. They had this game. They were too young and made bad plays and couldn’t close it out. Lipscomb grinded them and experience beat talent in a big game, again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT