ADVERTISEMENT

N.C. State QB transfering to Uconn

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
@ Desmond Conner[/B] -Hartford Courant

"N.C. State quarterback Bryant Shirreffs has decided to transfer to UConn; will have to sit out this year but eligible to play in 2015"
Sound like a dual threat type QB.. played as a true freshman for NC State as a Wildcat option/FB (?)...caught in a numbers
game with a transfer QB starting for NC State and a position change this spring. With 2 other Georgia QB's.......
Kivon Talyor, just entering his redshirt FR year, before being dismissed from Uconn and sometimes starter Chandler Whitmer
a 5th year SR this should add to the versatility and depth to the Uconn QB chart. Sounds like a smart kid with some Ivy offers.
Should have 3 yrs eligibility left.

QB 6-3/218lbs Hometown: Jefferson, GA Soph... Bryant Shirreffs - Hudl Highlights

1peNkd.AuSt.156.jpeg

Last edited:
Follow up article from Desmond Conner:
N.C. State Quarterback Transfers To UConn
“N.C. State is nice but when you don’t necessarily trust who you’re playing for or really don’t like believe in the system I don’t think it’s useful to stay in a place you can’t succeed,” Shirreffs told me.. “And you can try as hard as you can but if you don’t feel like you can succeed, you’re thinking about leaving, you’re not all in or fully committed to that school so that’s what I felt. I believe it wasn’t good for me or the team for me to be there.”

Shirreffs visited UConn Thursday…
“It was amazing,” he said. “I’m a Finance Major and obviously that can change but it’s a bigger school and it’s really good. And I like how the campus is kind of enclosed and 80 percent of the students stay on campus. They’re kind of forced to interact with each other and there seems to be a lot of school spirit. Everyone is really nice.”

Last edited:
Hello Desmond,

I want to "thank you" for reporting Bryant Shirreffs transfer to UConn. However, I would like to comment on what kind of player and personUConn is getting in my son Bryant. First and foremost, Bryant has always been a team player. He led Jefferson (GA) High School to their 1st State Football title with a 14-1 record. He was the Georgia Offensive Player of the Year (AA). He went to NC State and did everything that the coaches asked him to do with blinders on and a "yes sir' attitude. He was extremely grateful for the opportunity @ NC State but he recognized that if he wanted to develop as a QB that he needed to go elsewhere. Fortunately, several schools including UConn offered him the chance to continue his development as a QB. He choose UConn because he felt at home on his visit and felt he could be a part of building something special in the Husky football program.

Lastly, Bryant is a "winner" on the field and in the classroom. He has a number of close friends @ NC State and I believe they will remain friends for a long time. He does not have any ill will towards the NC State program. He wants the best for his friends, classmates, teammates, and the "wolfpack nation". Bryant is looking forward to working out with his new teammates and will do anything possible to make UConn a better football team. I hope in the future your headline can read "Shirreffs helps UConn win".

Thank you--John Shirreffs

Thanks Mr. Shirreffs for the first hand update. Don't know how often Des gets to this board as he is not part of the Rivals network but the Uconn beat writer for one of CT's largest/ nations oldest ( Older Than The Nation - Courant.com )newspaper.

There is another Uconn board that is much more active than this one, if you dare to venture there. As far as us fans go everybody has an opinion of things on message boards, but my suggestion is to stay clear as your thoughts are all that matter and your son is someone who is actually putting in the work, so nothing good can come out of these boards that translate to his performance.

In any event glad to have Bryant, you and your family aboard. Hope he does some great things and enjoys his time in CT...as a loyal Husky season tix holder and fan..... welcome to Uconn Country !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT