ADVERTISEMENT

Mulkey leaves Baylor, whatever

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
This is a joke and tells you all you need to know about this lady. I am here in Dallas and travel through the crappy town of Waco a lot....I played some state and regional tournaments there.....total HOLE.

Still, I know LSU is a better place to coach than RapeU but what a loser leaving. She will not get kids to LSU if you ask me. It aint happening and look for something to come out at Baylor in the upcoming years.....shes up to something.

I read the Texas media on this one and Mulkey had a very strained relationship with the Baylor President and AD going back to her supporting fired football coach Art Briles very publicly. They wanted the new basketball arena in downtown Waco, she did not, and they were pissed at her opposition. The Baylor Administration, according to the Fort Worth Star Telegram, viewed Mulkey as a pesky thorn in the side that needed to be removed. The LSU AD (who is the same guy who money-whipped Jimbo Fisher to come to Texas A&M, and knew of Mulkey's discontent) also money-whipped Mulkey, $2,8 million a year, which is a lot of money for a women's basketball coach. Mulkey asked Baylor to match, but they said "goodbye!!!!!!!!!" This is NOT about going home, it's about her getting away from Baylor Administration that did not want her, and LSU showing her the money. I think she will win at LSU. But now the SEC is really loaded and Shea Ralph has even more competition on her hands.

Make no mistake, Mulkey is the WBB answer to Jim Calhoun, 3 national championships, feisty/salty personality, butts heads with authority, and her teams play consistent great D. Baylor should have beaten UConn in their Elite 8 game this year and would have if not for injury, and TBH they had a team with only one really talented offensive player on it. Her teams are all about grit and D, and they have shown it consistently.

Last edited:
You lost me at comparing her to JC. Thankfully it was at the end of your comment. :)

She is as bad as the Baylor Admin....they deserve each other. She is a cancer and so is that school. Their coverup and her lack of empathy is disgusting. That school is haunted by religious southern idiots that are the worst of what Texas has to offer. Sorry, grew up around these people.....its a chritian school in name only.......they are bad.

I think that story is and was a bit skewed and unfair to Mulkey, even though I am no Mulkey fan and think she is probably someone who a reporter does not want to cross (much like Jim Calhoun, anyone remember the legendary "not a dime back" retort and some of the reporters he blowtorched?). The thing is that the Baylor handbook did urge gay students to repress their homosexuality so that Mulkey was only telling her player to obey the student code, like it or not. The other thing is that various UConn women's players were not openly gay while at UConn (e.g. Sue Bird and Stefanie Dolson), and it's probably not unusual elsewhere either, and there could be numerous reasons for that totally apart from anyone telling them to suppress it.

And lastly, since when should anyone, gay or not, be open about their sex life? I do not discuss my sex life at work, with my family, or even on this completely anonymous board. The reason why is it's private and it's irrelevant to everything else I do or say or any opinions I give. So I do not really see what the harm is to Griner, and I see this as a no harm, no foul situation. To the extent that Mulkey told Griner to keep her sex life private, she likely did Griner a favor, as far as I am concerned. During her career at Baylor, Griner gained a lot of notoriety for punching a player during a game and she really did not need her private life being examined any more than it already was. Because of the punching incident, she was often portrayed as a brooding bully, and any further information and discussion on her private life was not likely to help. So as far as I can see Mulkey was looking out for her player's well being and did her a favor in the greater scheme of basketball and life and her portrayal in the media, also considering reports I have heard that while at Baylor, Griner was a very, very sensitive kid, which may have been what led to the punching incident.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT