ADVERTISEMENT

More on the star search from Jacobs and er..er.. Coach Diaco

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
HC's Jeff Jacobs: Star Search? Diaco Dismisses Recruiting Sites' Assessments

"We also came up with 21 former UConn players in the NFL, and only Donald Brown, Dwayne Gratz, Kashif Moore,
Dan Orlovsky and Trevardo Williams were three-star recruits. Beyond 14 two-stars, heck, Donald Thomas and
Marcus Easley were walk-ons."

"In the FBS history of UConn as many walk-ons have made the NFL as the school has recruited four-star guys
[Jarrell Miller and Dwayne Difton]. Tyvon Branch? Kendall Reyes? Will Beatty? Darius Butler? All two-star recruits."

"Mike Farrell, recruiting director at Rivals, said in 2010 that the main reason UConn was ranked so low was that it went
for guys they liked and sometimes kept them hidden. That it was a secretive program. Paul Pasqualoni wasn't nearly as
secretive, but he also went 10-18 before he got fired. In his two full years he recruited, Pasqualoni was ranked 65th and
60th by Scout and 78th and 65th by Rivals. The Scout rating is the best two-year run in school history, while Rivals
is first in terms of most three-star [21] players.
This would suggest that Pasqualoni left some talent in the tank."

But then again Edsall left PP with 5 guys picked in the 2013 NFL draft, 4 who were 2 stars( and another 2 star
to NFL in Reyes)
.....So I guess only time will tell.

Jacobs added:
"What I loved hearing from Diaco was that he was going for big bodies, big minds and big aspirations. Good grades.
High character. Tough. Essentially getting half the recruiting class in one month on the job, he certainly went after size.
He is convinced that there is a direct correlation between attitude and achievement in the classroom and performance
on the field." but also: "there are facts to support both sides of the recruiting services' relative worth. "

This post was edited on 6/30 6:20 PM by the Blades

Re: More on the star search from Jacobs

This arguement about "stars" being overated is BS, look at the top recruiting teams the past decade than look where they've finished ranked for the most part bama,fsu,lsu yeah the rankings don't mean anything & please don't throw out Boise who had to get past 1 legit team every year for the most part in a out of conference game.....i loved how Edsall DEVELOPED players.

Well don't look at the top 100 or so players who always go to the FB factories then you'll start to get the picture.
Sure the blue bloods will always stock pile talent but after that these rating are actually BS. It's nothing more than a
novelty to keep the big paying sites patrons happy with a star bump many times.

There are just way to many players in HS FB to rate by these sites objectively. It's not like hoops where you have one
and done's and everyone knows the players by the time their 18-19 yrs old because they've seen them compete vs.
each other in AAU ball for years. College Football with the 3 year minimum, red shirts and development make this
whole thing between 2 through 4 star ratings end up being a complete crap shoot many times. It's been proven at
Uconn over and over and over, so that's the point of this post and the article..that you seem to be missing Mike.

Here was the quote that I was referring to:
" But what about the thousands of two and three-star guys who get millions of fans of so many schools either

excited or depressed without ever seeing them play a down? "

The difference for these guys being a 2 star or 3 is usually a decimal point between a 5.4 and a 5.5, like that's gonna
be some kind of deciding factor over a college career.

This post was edited on 2/19 4:59 PM by the Blades

Originally posted by the Blades:
Well don't look at the top 100 or so players who always go to the FB factories then you'll start to get the picture.
Sure the blue bloods will always stock pile talent but after that these rating are actually BS. It's nothing more than a
novelty to keep the big paying sites patrons happy with a star bump many times.

There are just way to many players in HS FB to rate by these sites objectively. It's not like hoops where you have one
and done's and everyone knows the players by the time their 18-19 yrs old because they've seen them compete vs.
each other in AAU ball for years. College Football with the 3 year minimum, red shirts and development make this
whole thing between 2 through 4 star ratings end up being a complete crap shoot many times. It's been proven at
Uconn over and over and over, so that's the point of this post and the article..that you seem to be missing Mike.

Here was the quote that I was referring to:

" But what about the thousands of two and three-star guys who get millions of fans of so many schools either

excited or depressed without ever seeing them play a down? "

The difference for these guys being a 2 star or 3 is usually a decimal point between a 5.4 and a 5.5, like that's gonna

be some kind of deciding factor over a college career.

This post was edited on 2/19 4:59 PM by the Blades
Now compare those 2 & 3*** players to hundreds of 4 & 5***** players & see who has the greater success of making the nfl & also being a household name in college....these arguements about lower ranked players are "cute" but lets keep it real.

Seems like you keep trying to make a point that wasn't being made even though Uconn did put more 2-3 stars players
in the NFL in 2013 than a bunch of schools with 4-5 star recruits. But real is ..... 80 or 90 programs in the country have
to rely on these bogus who gives a F#CK 3 star (ranking) players for the most part. Again that is what the story is about,
so your argument is actually a straw man one that you need to have with someone else. Not disagreeing with you on
some of the "pay for play"/ school work optional...... FB schools and their 4-5 star recruits?

Like the article also says " Heck, three guys from the Boneyard and me could drive to Florida, have lunch at Cracker
Barrel and identify those guys."

Also:
With 125 D-1 teams alone X 85 and about 10625 scholly players how many are in that top 4-5 star group ? 350 a year ?
That' an awful lot of players who are 3 star and below (around 9,000 or so) filling out those D-1 rosters to try and get a
rating right. Get the real picture now ?

This post was edited on 2/26 9:18 PM by the Blades

Full read- UConn Football Coach Bob Diaco On The 1-2-3-4-5-Star Deal And Then, How UConn Does Its Business
From Desmond Conner - Diaco lit this one up for all time and I mean of the dropping the mic on stage when you're done type lighting it up, too. Enjoy…

"Our program, because it's not necessary in any way, do we look to see what their [recruits] rating is or who else is
recruiting them until after our evaluation is done," Diaco said. "I mandate to the coaches that they do not share the
information moving forward in our database about who else is recruiting them, what their level is, how many offers
they have because I don't want to taint the evaluation process one way or the other. So we're just evaluating on the
criteria that we set to evaluate. That's it.

" The star rating is a ridiculous, convoluted, nonsensical-for-team building-thing as there is out there. It is a fan, money-
making component which I respect and I'm good on. I love the fact that football, high school, elementary school football,
college football gets more and more and more pub and press and excitement. That's not a bad thing but we're not going
to do our business based on it. And whether one guy was a one-star, two-star, four-star, five-star is irrelevant to what our
needs are.

"Go back and look at the draft this year. Go back and look at the first round and tell me how many high school five stars
were drafted in the first round as opposed to high school four stars as opposed to high school three stars as opposed to high
school two stars and you'll find, I believe you'll find almost four times the amount of two and three stars drafted than four and
five stars drafted, in the first round, in the last draft."
This post was edited on 7/1 6:29 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT