ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Staff change ?

What happened to Sal Alosi? Did he get canned, or leave for an NFL job?

Did you read the comments by the Cincy fans? One guy said UConn wouldn't finish top 5 in the Big East in the next 10 years. That's ridiculous.

I get impression that Sal, was a good jump starter to get things going in the right direction, but he had an expiration date.

It seems like strength and conditioning staffs generally may have expiration dates. The Yankees fired their entire strength and conditioning staff after last season, essentially blaming them for a Major League record 30 injury list activations. The truth is the Yankees have some injury prone players and as an organization they have a history of blaming the strength and conditioning coaches whenever there is a rash of injuries. And last year was not the first time it happened.

I look at Alosi's 2 years on the job and I do not see anything that should suggest he should have been canned, if in fact he was canned. A basketball strength and conditioning coach is really evaluated based on how well a team rebounds and finishes its games, and in that regard Cincy was exceptional under Rehfeldt's watch. On the other hand last year UConn, after losing 2 starters to fluky type injuries, went very small in the last 10 games, but did not get hammered on the boards or outmatched on D. It was very impressive to me. They did not finish games strongly all the time, which you expect with a team that is smallish with no depth, but they more than held their own on D and rebounding. It could be that they think Rehfeldt is a proven, next level coach, but Sal seems to have done a solid job.

Also, certain players showed vast improvement, like Whaley and Adams. Polley had a 19 point 11 rebound game the day before he got hurt. The 11 boards was a career high.The team got better as the season went on. These are things you like to see from a team that was shorthanded and could have gone into a downward spiral.

Last edited:
https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/Report-UConn-men-hiring-new-strength-coach-15370136.php

"It’s not clear what this means for current strength coach Sal Alosi. Alosi took over as director of human performance at UConn in May, 2018, shortly after Dan Hurley was hired as head coach. Alosi came with some baggage, including an altercation with Sean “P. Diddy” Combs while at UCLA and an incident where he tripped a Miami Dolphins player while on the sidelines as strength and conditioning coach for the Jets.

As of early Friday night, Alosi had not responded to an inquiry from Hearst Connecticut Media about his job status."

It is kind of sounding to me like Sal got canned. He has had a number of incidents at his other coaching stops- a litany of them - so it's possible he may have worn out his welcome at UConn as he did with the NY Jets and UCLA Bruins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal_Alosi

The fact that he was named head strength and conditioning coach of an NFL team at age 30 suggests he really knows something about his field. But his history of continual run ins and incidents makes you wonder if the same happened at UConn.

Last edited:
It's Official -------Link- Mike Rehfeldt Joins MBB Staff As Director Of Sports Performance

" Rehfeldt comes to UConn after spending the last eight years as the director of sports performance for men's basketball at the University of Cincinnati, which added to his extensive experience in strength and conditioning for basketball and football teams at the amateur, collegiate and professional level.....Previous to his eight years at Cincinnati, Rehfeldt spent a year as a strength and conditioning assistant with the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals, which followed two years as the head strength and conditioning coach with the UFL's Sacramento Mountain Lions and three years as a strength and conditioning assistant with the Jacksonville Jaguars. "

Last edited:
The statement issued by UConn makes no mention of Sal Alosi's status. He seems to have been very quietly fired without anyone knowing about it. It may have happened some time ago.

The statement issued by UConn makes no mention of Sal Alosi's status. He seems to have been very quietly fired without anyone knowing about it. It may have happened some time ago.
If you read some of the rumors, it sounds like Sal was also active on social media, regarding recent issues in the country, that some people may have taken offense of. I haven't read any of them and could care less what he has to say other than if he's getting the team prepared right, but it's been out there, so who knows.

Last edited:
Blades,

I don't care about what Alosi has to say on social media either, but as I mentioned in a prior post, Alosi has a history of incidents at his prior employers, which were all bizarre and different things that got him in trouble. He has a history of being a person who finds trouble for himself. From tripping a Miami Dolphins player returning a kickoff, to the towel incident with the female chiropractor, to the barbell fight with Sean Combs (which was comical and ridiculous, even if Combs was a helicopter parent which is possibly the case), the guy seems to find trouble. So if he said something found objectionable on social media it wouldn't surprise me.

I personally don't do social media for multiple reasons- privacy, and I don't believe my opinions matter more than anyone else's on politics, religion or whatever. It's people who are enamored with their own opinions who consistently get into trouble on social media. If that's the reason why Sal got fired this time, I feel sorry for him, because what he has to say about anything other than the sports performance issues or his players doesn't matter to most people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT