ADVERTISEMENT

MAL gone

This just keeps going from bad to worse. I have to wonder how much of MAL's decision was based on this year's less-than-stellar performance. The number of holes to fill keeps growing, and losing guys who haven't even been on campus yet seems like a bad optic.

Tumultuous time.

Harris or Waters hopefully can be added, and we better get back in on Quickley for 2018.

Hopefully we can add both Harris and Waters now which I'm not expecting any good news just hoping it doesn't get worse.

the problem is that now UConn has four open scholarships, and the pickings are getting slim. MAL is s legit loss - tough to put lipstick on that pig.

We are not going to get better than mal or even as good as mal for next season.

Hurting in the front court and the back court and nothing in the middle

I don't know what it's got take for some people to understand the problem, even Rodney has stuff to say

Purvis is supporting Ollie and the program and calling out those who leave. So I'm not sure what your point is there.

But yes, major holes to fill. Bigger than Diarra and harris.

Last edited:
Purvis is supporting Ollie and the program and calling out those who leave. So I'm not sure what your point is there.

But yes, major holes to fill. Bigger than Diarra and harris.
Funny way to look at that considering he started his tweeting about it the day GM was fired, now all of these cryptic tweets are aimed at people jobbed by KO?

Ok I guess

Funny way to look at that considering he started his tweeting about it the day GM was fired, now all of these cryptic tweets are aimed at people jobbed by KO?

Ok I guess
Why else would the current players who aren't definitely staying like Adams and Larrier be favoriting them? Purvis is graduating, no need to bash the program on the way out. He's bashing the players leaving.

How can someone accuse a coach of being a me first guy when his whole goal is to have a winning team? His last tweet has to be about a player even if you look at that one singularly in a vacuum.

You can justifiably doubt Ollie, but Purvis isn't crap talking KO on his way out. He's calling out Jackson and MAL (he and Adams less so against Enoch, probably because they watched him fail to produce the last couple years).

Why else would the current players who aren't definitely staying like Adams and Larrier be favoriting them? Purvis is graduating, no need to bash the program on the way out. He's bashing the players leaving.

How can someone accuse a coach of being a me first guy when his whole goal is to have a winning team? His last tweet has to be about a player even if you look at that one singularly in a vacuum.

You can justifiably doubt Ollie, but Purvis isn't crap talking KO on his way out. He's calling out Jackson and MAL (he and Adams less so against Enoch, probably because they watched him fail to produce the last couple years).
He was talking on KO when he fired GM

Maybe now he's showing support fo KO but you all need to stop saying that bashing KO for doing the worlds worst job is the same as bashing the program.

He can't even field a team. He's garbage

MAL never came or stepped foot on campus. Not even as little as Nate Miles did and he is the greatest thing since slice bread to some of y'all lolol.

Give KO credit for granting him to get out of NLI which never happens unless current HC is gone!!

Either you are a husky or you're not. Peace MAL Nice not getting to know you!!
Hopefully a few posers here follow suit!!

If I leave do you get to pretend KO hasn't piloted this once proud program into a death spiral?

Anderson, you aren't leaving now that you've left the church/cult of Scientology. ;)

Duval....what are you guys on? We have no chance with that tier of recruit right now....you could pray for waters, but highly doubtful.

A couple of things:

1) MAL was a stud, no denying that. He would have been a great addition if he stuck with his commitment.

2) I can understand his decision to want to opt out. He will be playing behind Jalen next year then competing with McD Alterique for 4 years, as well as Vital and future stud guard recruits.

3) He had a good relationship with Glenn Miller so his departure pushed him to opt out. That's good news and bad. The bad news it's seems Glenn miller was tight with Mass Rivals. This prob hurts us with David's duke and Reeves. The good news -> look at next point

4) Immanuel Quickly. With Chillious addition and MAL departure, we will be a major player for the currently ranked number #2 PG in class of 2018! Quickly has a very good relationship with Chillious and 1/3 of al Crystal ball picks were to UW bc of Chillious. Once romar was fired he cut UW from the list. UConn and UK will be the two big players in his recruitment. I like our chances.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
If it came down to a choice between MAL and Vital I take Vital because (1) he can shoot and (2) is proven to be tough as nails. I am very concerned by all this turmoil and the lack of any real players for the 4 and 5 who fit those positions as starting UConn-caliber players. Ozzie has put a positive spin on things but sometimes perception becomes reality and there is a perception among fans and media that the program is now in major turmoil.

A couple of things:

1) MAL was a stud, no denying that. He would have been a great addition if he stuck with his commitment.

2) I can understand his decision to want to opt out. He will be playing behind Jalen next year then competing with McD Alterique for 4 years, as well as Vital and future stud guard recruits.

3) He had a good relationship with Glenn Miller so his departure pushed him to opt out. That's good news and bad. The bad news it's seems Glenn miller was tight with Mass Rivals. This prob hurts us with David's duke and Reeves. The good news -> look at next point

4) Immanuel Quickly. With Chillious addition and MAL departure, we will be a major player for the currently ranked number #2 PG in class of 2018! Quickly has a very good relationship with Chillious and 1/3 of al Crystal ball picks were to UW bc of Chillious. Once romar was fired he cut UW from the list. UConn and UK will be the two big players in his recruitment. I like our chances.

Good stuff & I like what ur saying. I'm not saying we won't get Quickly, but we need to be more realistic when going up ugainst the p5 top tiers now that we've begrudgingly settled into the aac. Next year is make or break in huskyland for KO & my opinion is every husky fan should give him next season to right the ship. He's earned that right as a bleed blue husky.

If it doesn't work out, I don't wanna think about the alternative. Can we find an up n comer? Sure...but then we just become a stepping stone if there's no husky linkage as HC.

I get the negativity (to a point). Calling KO garbage isn't necessary IMHO but to each his own I guess. But, for me, I'm trying hard to put the focus on getting back on track rather than running KO out...and, I get it. It's been rough. But name a coach who's school has gone from being in one of the best hoops league in college to an absolute awful...and I mean awful, league where UCF gets a 1st round bye bye in the league tourney. This is unpresidented situation for a 4x NC.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I was a Diaco supporter 6 months too long..I'm more of a buy & hold investor. I just choose to try & stay the course since there's nothing we can do about it..and as I said b4, KO deserves our support (IMHO) to try & get out of this rut & right the ship. I'm always telling my players It's easy to stay positive & have a great attitude when things are going well. Lets test ur resolve with some tough times & see what ur character is really all about.

Can't blame the conference for not being able to win the conference, and you definitely can't blame the conference for players refusing to play for him.

I don't have a problem with tough times. I was a believer until he started assigning blame and what I believe to be revealing his true character. Everything that's happened in the past few days has done nothing but confirm my opinion. With that information I go back to the record, the inept offense, the fact that he was mugging for the camera while Bazz was outplaying the field but when things were bad he sent an assistant to be the face of it. I can see blaming the conference if he was winning 22 games and not getting in or winning 25 and getting a bad seed. But when a one win tournament team owns you that's not the zip code's fault.

There is a character issue here

I don't have a problem with tough times. I was a believer until he started assigning blame and what I believe to be revealing his true character. Everything that's happened in the past few days has done nothing but confirm my opinion. With that information I go back to the record, the inept offense, the fact that he was mugging for the camera while Bazz was outplaying the field but when things were bad he sent an assistant to be the face of it. I can see blaming the conference if he was winning 22 games and not getting in or winning 25 and getting a bad seed. But when a one win tournament team owns you that's not the zip code's fault.

There is a character issue here

So....I'm assuming u know him personally then? Throwing out the term "character issues" in my world has very deep meaningful meaning. If I were to sling that around, I would have to know the person decently well. So, I am assuming u know him. I see pro players talk smack, do things that the general population would prematurely label as a "character issue or flaw. I choose to take s different path, since I'm no angel in any stretch of the imagination & We all live in a glasshouse. I cannot speak for your world of course, & those who know me know I mean no disrespect. I welcome diffferent & opposing views. I just personally take it to heart when someone's character is called out. Trust me, I don't think KO is above a lot of the questioning going on. I question moves myself, including GM firing. But, I also questioned HOF'r JC at times. But of course he had been a HC many years b4 taking over UC. It's all good, I'm certainly not trying to change ur opinion, it's just that I don't agree with u on the character part...but I don't know him personally either. If he's good enough for JC, he's good enough for me.

So....I'm assuming u know him personally then? Throwing out the term "character issues" in my world has very deep meaningful meaning. If I were to sling that around, I would have to know the person decently well. So, I am assuming u know him. I see pro players talk smack, do things that the general population would prematurely label as a "character issue or flaw. I choose to take s different path, since I'm no angel in any stretch of the imagination & We all live in a glasshouse. I cannot speak for your world of course, & those who know me know I mean no disrespect. I welcome diffferent & opposing views. I just personally take it to heart when someone's character is called out. Trust me, I don't think KO is above a lot of the questioning going on. I question moves myself, including GM firing. But, I also questioned HOF'r JC at times. But of course he had been a HC many years b4 taking over UC. It's all good, I'm certainly not trying to change ur opinion, it's just that I don't agree with u on the character part...but I don't know him personally either. If he's good enough for JC, he's good enough for me.

I agree with this. No character asssessments should be made unless one is privy to the character issues involved in a personal way.

Next year is make or break in huskyland for KO & my opinion is every husky fan should give him next season to right the ship. He's earned that right as a bleed blue husky. ...............Take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I was a Diaco supporter 6 months too long...
Me and you both Shaggy on our former FB coach, though I saw cracks slightly earlier in what was going on with a guy in denial even after he made coaching staff changes twice in 2 years, once in season with his OC, when the whole thing was a dumpster fire.

...I still want to see what KO brings in for players ( can he get a full squad this late ? ) just like us all and obviously he's not going anywhere for now....but this is starting to read the same as Diaco. Worst BB season in 30 years, coaching changes, players losing belief in the HC ...... As Ollie is scrambling on an April " trip up the escalators instead of the stairs because he found a revolving door at the top. " ....When that many players don't buy in.. that's a sign.... a top 10 class recruiting to the AAC last year, then you lose three 4 star players in a month ( maybe 4) something about Olliewood...is terribly wrong.... but, I don't wanna think about the alternative either because that means he's really hurt the Uconn brand.

Speaking of ....Bobby Diaco ( and his $3.4 mil of Uconn cash in his pocket not to coach) he's still selling that same spin to anyone who will listen, sometimes I think.. does this Tony Robbins wannabe even believe himself ?

Last edited:
The term "Character issues" absolutely carries deep meaning because they come with serious consequences.

Agree to disagree on it I guess

OZ- I love your confidence that we will get better but this is painful to watch. We lose on every 5 star recruit Ollie is involved in, we lose players to transfer all the way back to Samuels (not great but just pointing out people) who had a NC under Ollie.

I bleed UCONN but NOTHING this year feels good. NOTHING.

the problem is that now UConn has four open scholarships, and the pickings are getting slim. MAL is s legit loss - tough to put lipstick on that pig.
So now with JD gone...make that 5 open...with 3 guys coming off season ending injuries, so here we go, but don't hold your breath on this roster or their health either:

2017-18
GUARDS
2 Jalen Adams......... 6-3/195......JR
1 Christian Vital........6-2/178......SO

3 Alterique Gilbert .....6-0/175......RS FR

FORWARDS
22 Terry Larrier...........6-8/190....RS JR
21 Mamadou Diarra.. 6-7/232....RS FR
...... Tyler Polley..........6-8/190...FR

CENTERS
Eric Cobb................... 6-9/290.....JR
Josh Carlton...............6-10/245....FR