ADVERTISEMENT

Live Updates: Diaco Press Conference, 11/24 - Temple

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015
About to get started.

Alec Bloom and Chris Lee listed as starting tight ends with Zordon Holman as the backup for both spots. Diaco said after the game that he expected Tommy Myers' injury to be serious. Looks like it is.

Last edited:
Team is doing well over the university break time. You get a little more time to be together.

They can spend a little bit more time taking care of themselves and their academics. Great week for that.

Gave the appropriate amount of time to victory on Saturday. A great win, pleased with how they played.

I've been on teams as a player and coach that you didn't win on Senior Day. It's very memorable when you win, and tends not to be when you don't.

Temple: So much respect and admiration for Matt Rhule, big fan of his. He's a nuts and bolts guy. Not trying to trick anyone. Class outfit.

It's more fixed, the amount of time to "celebrate" a win.

By the time we get back together on Monday. They've had their opportunity to relish.

Meetings get hard. There are still plays that could have been better. Everyone's not dancing in the halls on Monday.

Extra practices thanks to bowl eligibility: Huge developmental piece for the team. Break is potentially shorter. The break can be a little long for a collegiate athlete.

To add the practices before kick-off is a great piece.

Last edited:
Tommy season is over. Will not linger into the future.

Definitely expect him for spring, would be shocked if he's not ready for winter conditioning. Lower leg.

Did last year prepare for this year: Complex, a lot of instances of growth. A lot of it was back and forth, getting a feel for things...it'd be hard to write a book on, it'd be too long.

The perseverance of it, the consistency of the program. The spirit of the team and the spirit on campus, all those developmental pieces that we work on each day.

Last edited:
On the sophomores in the defense: Being led by the seniors. For every person that you mentioned, Julian is adjacent to Foley, helped on a daily basis by Sean Marinan, Andrew Adams makes all the checks, so puts the appropriate coverage, gives Jamar an opportunity to play fast. Same goes to Vann wrt Carrezola.

On how he has gotten better from year 1 to year 2: I'm doing a better job of delegating workload to trusted employees. I have a strong staff, not just coaching but directors, not micromanaging all those components.

Allowing for more of my personality to permeate through the program than trying to guard every little moment. I'm more comfortable. They have a level of anticipation from me.

Reactions: UconNell
On if he has a mentor: The moments are so personal, the moments are so specific. Read a lot, talk to friends who I respect...

Noel Thomas' growth: Taking care of a lot of areas in his life that have distracted him. It's so much better than it ever was. That's added to a real freeing, professional approach when he comes to the building. Meetings, S&C, dining hall, practice field, has also asserted himself as a leader among those, specifically frosh, wide receivers.

They can point to him on a play by play basis how to be a complete and productive football player.

Turning point of season: Felt like a winter conditioning moment. There were some moments during that when we felt like we were turning as a program as a team. Breaking through that with a winning mindset. I wouldn't say any time during the season.

Chris Lee: True freshman, he's a big skilled athlete. But he does a lot of power jobs. Very hard for a true freshman to be in that role. We can get him involved, but not (the way Tommy Myers was). Will be done by committee.

The "F" position has been a conversation all year. Tommy has been a blessing there. He did the jobs of so many people.

Temple Defense: Matakevich, very smart, instinctual player.

Matt Io[spelling] He's a beaver. You love to see him play.

In some of these stadiums, the loudest collection of fans has been the UConn fans. This is a nice close one that they'll be able to get down to. I can't wait to see them and do our dead-level best.

The matchup is exciting. Northeast, two football teams built in a similar way, they're a little bit ahead of us.

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 35m35 minutes ago
Based on throwing order looks like Bryant Shirreffs is No. 3 QB for #UConn today

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 50m50 minutes ago
Injured TE Tommy Myers made the trip and came onto sideline on crutches for #UConn. He's out for year with ankle injury

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 51m51 minutes ago
Nick Vitale and Brice McAllister fielding punts once again and not sign of Brian Lemelle for #UConn

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 20m20 minutes ago
Not counting today's games, #UConn ranks second among FBS teams for total defense for November games only trailing Florida
https://twitter.com/hashtag/UConn?src=hash

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT