ADVERTISEMENT

Larrier update/podcast w/ KO

I had him graded as the best player on the team after the two exhibition games last year. He is explosive. He used sophisticated finger rolls to finish aggressive drives to the hole. You don't see this often from guys who have one year of experience in college. There was a lot to like in his game. He was hurt trying to dunk a ball. He could be a real force scoring and on defense. An unquestionable starter, either at the 3 or 4, probably the 3 unless Ollie goes with 3 guard sets. If Wilson emerges and demands a starting job he could be moved to the 4. There are many options and he will play a lot.

Last edited:
I actually didnt like his game at all in what I saw briefly last year. Selfish and stiff to me. Happy to be proven wrong though so BRING IT TL!!!!!!!

I didn't see that with Larrier. I thought the issue with him could be physical strength and getting pushed out by physical defenders, something we have seen with various UConn players in the past. I think he is very talented and explosive. His injury was unfortunate last year but his return gives UConn a wing who is good for double figures points almost every game. I also like his shooting stroke.

I'm some where in the middle. He seemed to take quick/forced shots to early in the shot clock, didn't look like he was to interested in getting his team involved and seemed to force plays in transition at times( trying to go through to many guys on the break is what caused his injury). Almost like he thought any shot he could get off was a good one even though his 3pt % was pretty bad ( so was Rique's in his limited play)...... That said, his overall FG % was good & compared to what he did his freshman year shooting wise at VCU, it was a big improvement. And he showed plenty of athletic ability. With more PT I just hope he has good shot selection and doesn't become a guy like Purvis who could shoot his team out of a game by jacking up to much junk....even when he's off.

Last edited:
i agree with Blades. saw some good things, but he did seem to take some very difficult shots. Of course it was a very limited study but we will see very soon what type of impact he will have on the group.

I could actually say the same things you guys said above about Larrier, about Kemba Walker after his first couple of seasons. Kemba, at the beginning of his career, was a very wild, but athletic player. He took bad shots and forced drives, committing many unnecessary turnovers and not making up for it with his assist totals. Many people on this board blamed those issues on being paired with Jerome Dyson and/or coming off the bench as he did freshman year. To me that is all revisionist history. Dyson did not commit his turnovers, and he came off the bench because he did not deserve to start at that time with the way he played.

But Kemba developed in his junior year. He was surrounded by a talented freshmen class and good, experienced "dirty work" big men in Oriakhi and Okwandu, who never got the due they deserved from the fanbase (in Oriakhi's case, admittedly due to his departure which was viewed as disloyal). While it was a good supporting cast, Kemba developed and made better decisions with the ball. He made a quantum leap as a player. Larrier, like Kemba, is just going to need some time to learn how to play and adapt to his teammates. Shot selection usually improves with experience.

I'm with Blades and Shaggy. He was very Purvis like in his shot selection and feel(or lackthereof) for the game. But he's also 4-5 inches taller and very athletic.

However, I agree that it was an extremely tiny sample. Cautiously optimistic. I guess I could say that about the team as well.

Shot selection usually improves with experience.
Tell that to Purvis.... 5 years later he never knew the difference, same thing with Dyson even as a SR TO machine. Depends if you have BB IQ to begin with like
Kemba who was the FIBA America's MVP on the under 19 squad, who also knew how to make his teammates better early on in the right situation ( like w/ Team USA ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
All of that goes to basketball IQ. Dyson and Purvis were very low IQ guys.......I do not see that yet with Larrier. Let's give him a chance. He was the best player on the team in the 2 exhibitions and then did not get off to a great start but he was scoring pretty easily. He is a high level athlete and I was stunned by the explosiveness of his drives. He has a very quick first step and is a hard cover. He does need to integrate his game within the team concept and develop a better shot selection, but the kid has some excellent tools......

All of that goes to basketball IQ. Dyson and Purvis were very low IQ guys.......I do not see that yet with Larrier. Let's give him a chance. ...
+1, Totally with you on that, it's been almost 2 years since he's played a full season...he could be a star for all we know......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT