ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Ollie on 2015-2016 Huskies

tcf_15

Mar 31, 2015
Seniors - "They're on schedule to graduate. They're going to be leaders for us."
  • Omar Calhoun: "Omar is coming back from some injuries, he had a great freshman year, then he's had some injuries. He's come back 100 percent and hopefully, he can be a great shooter for us."
  • Phil Nolan: "Phil is very quiet, unassuming person off the court, but each time I look at the tape, and I look at defense and being in the right spot, he's the best one on the team."
5th Year Transfers
  • Sterling Gibbs: "Sterling was 43.6 percent in three-point shooting — 43.6. If he can come close to that — just come close — that would be excellent. One thing I know about this kid, he's got the heart of a winner, he wants to get to the tournament."
  • Shonn Miller: "Shonn is a great player. He was sixth in defensive rebounds in the nation, not in the Ivy League, but in the nation. Defense, defense, rebound — that's Shonn Miller. With Daniel Hamilton, we're going to be a remarkable rebounding team."
Juniors
  • Amida Brimah: "I hate when Amida [Brimah] tries to take charges, I say, 'You get blocks, that's all you do.' He had 121 blocked shots last year, which is incredible. He fouled out of a few games, and we want to keep him out there a little more because the dynamics of our team, when he's out there, is just ridiculous, because he covers up everybody's mistakes. He's gained a little weight, he's about 233 pounds right now. We'd like to get him up to 240. I think he can play at that weight comfortable and be a little stronger."
  • Kentan Facey: "Kentan Facey is an energy player, we want him to come in and be a rebounder, be a shot blocker."
  • Rodney Purvis: "Rodney Purvis, it took Rodney a while, but he started getting it at the end of the season. He started off slow. Then he started to identify, Now, I am a UConn basketball player,' and he had a great, great [league] tournament. … "
  • Sam Cassell, Jr: "… Sam [Cassell Jr.] is coming back from the stress fracture. Everybody knows Sam came in as a scorer. I think he's got his scoring ability, and he worked extremely hard to get healthy."
Sophomores:
  • Daniel Hamilton: "Listen to this stat — only freshman in the country to score 300 points, grab 200 rebounds and get 100 assists. That's versatility, and that's what we want."
Freshmen:
  • Steven Enoch: "He's 6-10 and he already comes with the weight, the power and all that stuff. He weighs 250, he comes in with a 'UConn body.' "
  • Jalen Adams: "And Jalen Adams. He is special, he is a special player. We look for elite players, elite teammates, elite people, and this guy is every one of them. When you see his smile, how he interacts with teammates, how he plays on the court, you're going to fall in love with him."
  • Terry Larrier (RS): Ollie said NBA scouts who occasionally come to practices have been raving about transfer Terry Larrier, who is not eligible until next season. "He's long, he's athletic, he can shoot the ball. He's going to be a great, great player. This is a leadership year, and when the curtain comes up next year he is going to be a new Terry Larrier."
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ll-middlesex-chamber-1006-20151005-story.html

Most important statement Ollie made in that interview:
"we don't have a Shabazz Napier here yet"

Very true..... Purvis especially... can get real careless with the ball, Gibbs and Jalen are unknowns...so unless we see a major IQ improvement in the backcourt or someone who can run an offense.........????

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT