ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Freeman Steps Down As Assistant Coach To Lead UConn National C Club

Louisville assistant coaches ...

Luke Murray ( son of comedian Bill Murray) is out after spending the last six seasons — three at Xavier and three at Louisville — as an assistant on Mack's staff......Murray has appeared to be on the precipice of landing a head coaching gig in each of the last two offseasons. If that doesn’t happen over the immediate weeks ahead, he’ll need to find a new staff to work for in 2021-22......????

Murray spent the previous two seasons as an assistant to Dan Hurley at Rhode Island and spent the 2010-11 season as an assistant under Hurley at Wagner College......Murray broke into the collegiate coaching field as the director of basketball operations at Quinnipiac in the 2007-08 season (Tom Moore)

That's interesting Blades. There is also another Connecticut connection. Luke Murray is a Fairfield grad. Also, if I am not mistaken either Luke, or another son of Murray's, went to St. Luke's School in New Canaan. One of my coworkers had a kid playing football at Hamden Hall and he saw Bill Murray at a game against St. Luke's around 15-20 years ago. He told me he approached Bill Murray, not like an awestruck fan, but as a regular guy. He struck up conversation with Bill Murray. Murray told my coworker he had a son playing on the St. Luke's team. He said they then had a long conversation and talked only about the football game and not about Murray's legendary career as comedian and actor. He said Murray behaved as a regular guy but probably because he was approached and treated as such and not asked for an autograph or picture.

More on Luke Murray from his Louisville bio:

"As the Cardinals’ recruiting coordinator, Murray was instrumental in building UofL’s six-man 2019 signing class, which ranked ninth in the nation by ESPN.com, 10th by Rivals.com and 11th by 247sports.com. He was listed among the top ten coaches in the nation under 40 years old in a recent ESPN ranking and has been recognized as one of the top five recruiters in the nation by 247Sports. He was featured in The Athletic’s 40 Under 40 in October 2020, noting 40 influential people in college basketball who are under the age of 40, and was recently included among 20 names to watch for when the coaching carousel begins to turn."

“Luke Murray is a superstar,” said Mack. “No detail goes unnoticed with Luke. Whether it’s working with our perimeter players, scouting, or recruiting, Luke excels. He’s one of the most organized, detailed and high-energy recruiters that I’ve ever been around. He carries the role of recruiting coordinator on the staff and allows us to leave no stone unturned when searching for the next University of Louisville great.”
If he is a "superstar", why was he canned?

That's interesting Blades. There is also another Connecticut connection. Luke Murray is a Fairfield grad. Also, if I am not mistaken either Luke, or another son of Murray's, went to St. Luke's School in New Canaan
Murray is a 2007 graduate of Fairfield University with a bachelor’s degree in sociology. He attended St. Luke’s High School in New Canaan, Conn., where he was a two-sport athlete in football and basketball.

More on Luke Murray from his Louisville bio:
If he is a "superstar", why was he canned?

Full read- Whatever happened to Dino Gaudio, Luke Murray ...

"The blanks have not been filled in. And when the blanks don’t get filled in, the stories about what fueled the breakup range between a simple change of direction to a conflict between guys the coaching world considered friends........The superstar has departed. So has the home run. Neither assistant has talked to the the media about why they will not return for year four with the Cardinals. Gaudio declined to answer the phone or respond to two messages from me. Murray did not return one phone call.....“It’s a strange situation,” one former Division I head coach said. “Dino is a great guy. Everybody likes Dino. Everybody. Luke was considered an up-and-comer. Now they’re gone.”

Sounds like a major head scratcher to me. Rest assured that any future employers of Luke Murray and Dino Gaudio will be asking these questions.

Murray, 36, was a student at UConn as a freshman for one semester, and he and current Oklahoma City Thunder coach Mark Daigneault were well-known to the Huskies’ coaching staff before Daigneault became one of Jim Calhoun’s student managers and Murray transferred to Fairfield.

I am still wondering about the reasons for Murray's termination at Louisville. If you look at it strictly from the standpoint of wins and losses it makes no sense at all. Louisville was a little disappointing last year but 13-7 with a young group of players is not exactly the end of the world. They almost got a tourney bid. He had 5 great seasons before that with Mack at Louisville and Xavier. Based on everything I read Mack received no pressure to make changes from the AD or administration at the Ville. There was no noise in the media about anything untoward. It's a complete mystery. We need Scooby Doo on this one.

Sounds like a major head scratcher to me. Rest assured that any future employers of....... Dino Gaudio will be asking these questions.
Well if there ever are any, they may have more than a few questions for Dino. Because it sounds like he didn't take " not getting his contract renewed" very well.

Last edited:
Yep, Gaudio charged with extortion:
"When he was not renewed, he was hurt, he became angry, and in the course of that he made statements he regrets," Gaudio's attorney, Brian Butler, told ESPN. "Unfortunately, those statements were taped, and he was not given an opportunity to walk them back. They were turned over to law enforcement. Coach Gaudio takes full responsibility for his actions and lack of judgment and the statements he made in a very heated situation. He apologies to his family and friends for his actions, and hopes that everyone will consider his 40 years of good and all the contributions he has made."

Last edited:
Blades, this is an interesting argument being made by Gaudio's attorney. He seems to be arguing a "heated words" exception to extortion, and implied that there is a duty by Louisville to allow Gaudio to "walk back" his words. I am pretty sure no such legal duty exists, but he could argue that Gaudio engaged in heated words after being fired and was entitled to some leniency as the crime was not premeditated nor could it have been. Rather it was a heated reaction to an unfair termination.

I one time made a similar argument with some success in a small potatoes criminal case around 15 years ago. My client was a 40 year old man with no criminal record. He was fired for insubordination after refusing to obey a directive by his supervisor which he believed to be illegal at worst, and immoral at best. After being terminated, he threatened to go home, get his guns and shoot up the workplace. My argument to the prosecutor was that the dude was not violent, and this was proven by the fact that he was 40 years old and had a clean record. I contended that if his threat was real, we would have seen prior criminal charges, and my client had simply acted out in anger and did not choose his words carefully. Eventually, the criminal charges, which were threatening and breach of peace, did get dropped, although the State Police suspended my client's gun permit and he had to sell his guns.

I see Gaudio's attorney's argument as similar. The extortion was certainly not premeditated. Gaudio simply lost his mind. As far as Louisville having a duty to allow him to walk back his comments, I do not think such a legal duty exists that you are required to allow an irate employee who has been fired time to cool off and retract his threats, at least not in CT, but I could be wrong.

Blades, this is an interesting argument being made by Gaudio's attorney. He seems to be arguing a "heated words" exception to extortion, and implied that there is a duty by Louisville to allow Gaudio to "walk back" his words. I am pretty sure no such legal duty exists, but he could argue that Gaudio engaged in heated words after being fired and was entitled to some leniency as the crime was not premeditated nor could it have been. Rather it was a heated reaction to an unfair termination.

I one time made a similar argument with some success in a small potatoes criminal case around 15 years ago. My client was a 40 year old man with no criminal record. He was fired for insubordination after refusing to obey a directive by his supervisor which he believed to be illegal at worst, and immoral at best. After being terminated, he threatened to go home, get his guns and shoot up the workplace. My argument to the prosecutor was that the dude was not violent, and this was proven by the fact that he was 40 years old and had a clean record. I contended that if his threat was real, we would have seen prior criminal charges, and my client had simply acted out in anger and did not choose his words carefully. Eventually, the criminal charges, which were threatening and breach of peace, did get dropped, although the State Police suspended my client's gun permit and he had to sell his guns.

I see Gaudio's attorney's argument as similar. The extortion was certainly not premeditated. Gaudio simply lost his mind. As far as Louisville having a duty to allow him to walk back his comments, I do not think such a legal duty exists that you are required to allow an irate employee who has been fired time to cool off and retract his threats, at least not in CT, but I could be wrong.
I understand heated words during a business meeting that goes south, but when he put a price tag on it...... when he didn't get a favorable outcome...bad boy Dino. If your gonna drop a dime to the NCAA, then that's your moral responsibility, he can't use it as a negotiating ploy....( and Louisville needs to be investigated either way...AGAIN)

And since were sharing stories....
Reminds me of a business negotiation I had with a former NBA player I won't mention.... He made a similar type of threat if our deal didn't go his way. I just kind of took it all in , smirked to myself, didn't say a word and told him I'll get back to him. Then I came back with a counter proposal I drew up for my Attny. on his letterhead. Once the NBA guy was faxed it by my attny....he was practically begging me to " be fair" & make a deal with better terms "for him" when he saw my proposal. I just told him don't bother me anymore and call my attny.

So the end of the story is, I told him peace out , no deal was made...And he followed up with his threat, but it didn't hurt me, just the owner of the building that I was the major tenant in. And it actually gave me more future leverage with my landlord. PS the same hoopster " who was a legend in his own mind" never changed his MO in the real world...and went away to prison for other stuff years later.

Last edited:
I think Gaudio's attorney is arguing that both the heated words and the price tag were "heat of the moment" threats made in anger. Gaudio might not have needed the money, although I am sure if this defense gets made they will be checking out his finances and bank account balances, etc.

Yeah I know what his counselor will try to spin it as, because it was on tape. So the knuckle head didn't leave him much to wiggle out of..... Maybe L-Ville should of waited a little longer to see if the NCAA actually heard anything from a little birdie. Then the feds would really have something to go on. ( or maybe they already do). But on the other hand L-Ville probably wanted to get this shut down ASAP, because as the Ville knows all to well ...loose lips... sink ships....:mad:

Last edited:
as the Ville knows all to well ...loose lips... sink ships....:mad:
There is a very good Sports Illustrated article on this subject:
"When your last two full-time head men’s basketball coaches have both been blackmailed, things are not good. And when there were two major scandals in between those extortions, things are worse. Aside from providing prurient interest for a public that is perpetually amused by the underbelly of college basketball, Louisville isn’t contributing much to the sport."

I bet cash money that Rick Pitino hires Dino Gaudio as an assistant coach at Iona.

Last edited:
Yeah I know what his counselor will try to spin it as, because it was on tape. So the knuckle head didn't leave him much to wiggle out of..... Maybe L-Ville should of waited a little longer to see if the NCAA actually heard anything from a little birdie. Then the feds would really have something to go on.
I guess they still are since the NCAA process is ongoing, but the Ville has now suspended Mack, extortion claim or not. Looks like Luke Murray not getting renewed wasn't a bad thing.

Blades, I found your post curious so I did a little digging and found a Louisville journalist named Eric Crawford who did a whole lot of digging into this story. Apparently, the Louisville trustees are not happy with the fact that Mack surreptitiously taped Gaudio and they are even more unhappy with what he said on the tape. There is also a suggestion that he didn't turn over the full tape to Louisville authorities and may have deleted some of it, a la Richard "Tricky Dick" Nixon. What is on the tape makes Mack sound like a very duplicitous Dude, also like Tricky Dick. Finally, Mack failed to follow university procedure by terminating Murray and Gaudio without a staff member being present to observe the termination. More on this mess here:
The latter issue reminds me of a similar kind of issue I had with a female dermatologist whom I was referred to years ago for a dermatological issue where the sun don't shine. I had never met this woman before in my life as a patient or otherwise. I was actually seeing her for a second opinion on what was later determined to be a harmless skin tag, but at the time needed to establish a new dermatologist. She brought a female assistant into the room with me before I dropped my pants. I was seemingly not given much choice on it. The female assistant was clearly there not to learn anything, but to function as a mere independent observer. I didn't like the dermatologist up until that point, but that cemented my decision to never see her again. I have since that time told anyone who ever asked me to not see her. Since then I see Dr. Kalman Watsky in New Haven and was never subjected to such nonsense by him. He is a true pro.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: the Blades
Here is the transcript of the taped conversation:

Dino Gaudio: You’re not renewing my contract, and you’re paying me for a year and a half, alright? You’re paying me for a year and a half. Here’s why.

Last time this happened to me, the last time this happened to me, I took the high road. I took the high road. I didn’t say anything, said all the good things, that s--- … affected my family, my career, my livelihood—that ain’t happening again. That ain’t happening again. See, let me show you something. You’re going to think long and hard about this one, dude. You’re going to be thinking long and hard about this one.

See, it says in my contract here, if there’s anything about NCAA violations, I’m supposed to talk to [Louisville compliance director] John Carns, I’m supposed to talk to [athletic director] Vince Tyra, I’m supposed to talk to all those guys. And you know what? I f---ing will. I f---ing will.
Those GAs all practicing with us? Illegal, illegal. I’ve got documentation from when she called me in the summer, when we were emailing each other and texting each other—I’m talking about [women’s basketball coach] Jeff Walz — when Christine, whatever her name was [Herring], came in here and said, ‘Those guys working guys out in the summer, they can’t do that; that’s illegal.’
All that s---, those 30 for 30s [recruiting videos] I have? That s---’s f---ing illegal. That s---’s f---ing illegal.
Chris Mack: Why didn’t you say anything?
DG: Now you tell me you’re not renewing my contract?
CM: Why didn’t you say anything?
DG: I don’t want to be here. So you know what you’re doing? You’re going to f---ing pay me. Between me and you, dude, you can go tell Vince ‘Hey Vince’—I don’t care what the f--- you tell him—‘Vince, Dino’s my guy. I’m going to pay him for his year and a half. He can retire at 66. I’m going to take care of him.’ That’s what we can do. And you know what? That’s what we’re going to do. Or else I’m going to f---ing John Carns, I’m going to f---ing [Louisville Courier-Journal columnist] Tim Sullivan. I’m going to [Jay] Bilas, [Dick] Vitale, [Fran] Fraschilla—all those f---ing guys. That’s the way this is going to f---ing go down, dude. That’s the way this is going to f---ing go down.
I f---ing helped you get [a former Louisville player]. You didn’t know who f---ing [the player] was until I came back and Pat [Kelsey] told me. I helped you with frickin’ [two other players]—are you f----ing s----ing me?
CM: I know, Dino.
DG: You’re right, this is a hard conversation. You’re right. And you know what? You better think about it. You better think long and hard about it. I don’t want to f---ing be here now—you said that to me.
CM: I know. I know.
DG: So here’s what you’re going to do. This stays right here between me and you for about, mmm, 24 hours. You go tell that f---ing toad over there, Vince Tyra, ‘Dino’s my guy; I gotta take care of him. I want to pay him for a year.’ O.K.? Then none of this s--- f---ing happens. Got it?
CM: Dino.
DG: Got it?
CM: Yeah, I got it. Can we talk?
DG: That’s all I got to say.
CM: Dino, Dino, can we talk?
DG: Are you f---ing s----ing me? After all the s--- I did for you? Are you f---ing s----ing me?
CM: Can we talk? I don’t want to f--- your livelihood up, bro.
DG: Take your mask off; I can’t hear you.
CM: I’m sorry. I don’t want to f--- your livelihood up, Dino.
DG: You did, man. You are.
CM: I’m not.
DG: Yeah you are.
CM: No, I’m not. No, I’m not. I don’t want to do that to you, Dino, I don’t. I love you, man. I know you don’t believe me. I love you. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I’m not trying to f--- your livelihood up. Dude, I’ll take it out of my own personal money.
DG: Whatever you gotta do. Whatever you gotta do.
CM: I feel like I owe you that. I don’t f---ing like—I’m not excited about this.
DG: Whatever you gotta do. Whatever you gotta do. It’s f---ing sad. F---ing sad. And the meeting we had after that Sunday night thing [when Louisville was left out of the tournament], that meeting—you say you don’t talk to the kids after the game when you’re hot and that stuff. If we play those four home games [that were canceled due to COVID-19], we probably win three of them and now we have 11 wins in the ACC. Complete overreaction. Complete overreaction.
CM: What do you mean?
DG: Like, ‘This kid we gotta get rid of, that kid we gotta get rid of, we gotta get rid of that kid.’ Whatever you gotta do, man. You find out, you let me know.
CM: Let me ask you. Let me ask you because, like, I gotta know. You want to be paid until when?
DG: I can retire at 66 and six months. I’ll show you, you can look it up.
CM: I believe you, man.
DG: You can pay me until Sept. 30 of not next year, but the year after. That’s when I can retire and get social security. My birthday is March 30, 1957. You can look it up. That’s a year and a half of salary. That’s a year and a half. A year and a half of salary. It’s not this September, it’s the September after.
CM: So September—September of 2022.
DG: Right. Right. September of—this is ’21, yes, Sept. 30 of ’22. You pay me then, I’m fine. You pay me then, I’m fine. [Pause.] Wow. You let me know, too, in the next 24 hours. You call your boy down the street there and you let me know.
CM: Here’s the thing—sit down. I mean, can you sit down? Like, I’m not trying to f--- your family up. I’m not trying to f--- your money up. Like, I don’t care what he says in regard to that. I’ll do that. I love you. I know you don’t believe that. I’ve got to go in a different direction with a lot of the staff—with a lot of the staff. I think you’re one of the hardest—I’m not going to just f---ing blow smoke up your ass. I’ve got to go in a different direction. This is my livelihood or my ability to keep going. I appreciate everything that you’ve done for me. I also know how loyal you’ve been. That’s why this is f---ing hard for me. But I’m not here to f--- you up financially. I’m not trying to throw you off the street. I’ll do whatever I have—if I’ve got to take it out of my own f---ing money.
DG: Well, you let me know.
CM: I just have. I just have.
DG: All right. We’re talking September of ’22. That’s what I want to be paid through, then I can retire and get my social security. I have no idea what you’re looking at. It’s just a complete overreaction. I don’t know.… I mean, I don’t know what you’re looking at in terms of recruiting or on-court coaching. Our defense is pretty good, I sort of oversee our defense. Our offensive rebounding is pretty good, I sort of oversee our offensive rebounding. Whatever you’re looking for, man, just make sure you take care of me. And I want it in writing.
CM: What I’m looking for is just better chemistry, man. Better chemistry. I think you’re a f---ing tremendous coach. I don’t know if anybody works harder than you, prepares, but like, I want a better chemistry on our staff. That’s what I want.
DG: That’s fine. Put it in writing. Tomorrow, I’ll be here at noon. Tell me how you’re paying me. That’s the s--- that’s going to happen or else this is happening. I laid down the first time. I’m not laying down the next time. I am not.
CM: I’m not worried about that. I know you are. I give you my word, which you may not think means anything, but that’s going to happen. But, like, what assurances do I have?
DG: I give you my word. You write me the check, or you have them, and you say, ‘I will not take any action.’ You know what I mean? You know, your dad is an attorney, and whatever the caveat is, I’m happy to sign it. I’m happy to sign it.
CM: If you feel like these things are illegal, like, do you think I want to do something illegal? I’m not trying to do anything illegal, Dino.
DG: Yeah, but they are illegal. The 30 for 30s …
CM: Those are illegal?
DG: Yeah, the GAs practicing—um, um, um, all that s---’s illegal. All that s---’s illegal. It is. It’s all f---ing illegal. … It’s all illegal. And like I said, this stuff can stay right here. Put something in writing for me tomorrow, man.
CM: I will.
DG: Put something in writing.

Link:

Question, now that "all that illegal shit" (to use Dino's expression) has been exposed, what will be done about it?

I wonder if Louisville's AD Vince Tyra's feelings were hurt when he listened to that tape and heard Dino call him a "f_cking toad"? What would happen if one of Hurley's assistants said that about Dave Benedict?

Mack suggested the reason Dino was being fired was that he wanted "better chemistry" on the staff. Where did Luke Murray fit into that perceived poor chemistry equation? I wonder if that is what he told Luke when he fired him, or just used that line on the older guy?

Is Dino right that Mack was overreacting to a bad season and that 3 of the 4 Home games that were wiped out by Covid would have been Lousiville wins, thus earning the NCAA bid they did not get? Sounds like reasonable speculation.

Do these 2 guys not both come off looking like jerks who deserve each other?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT