ADVERTISEMENT

JUCO Eric Cobb commits to UConn

So rather than look for a grad transfer to use one of the remaining scholarships, UConn chose to go with a borderline player who will eat a scholarship for multiple years - which means only one scholarship for 2018 if my math is correct.

He was 235 out of HS, what's he weigh now? We obviously need some beef, so I like this on paper.

He's a load, it'll be nice to have a kid like this on the roster for a change.

Welcome to Uconn, Eric, grab some boards

Reactions: UconNell
Count me in with the nay's........coaching staff had a couple of seasons to line up some high level bigs knowing that Brimah and Facey were gone and to get a big 2 guard for this class... they struck out on Diallo and if the best they could come up with in all that time is this South Carolina reject who did nothing when he was there..... color me not impressed.......thought Killings was this super recruiter ?.....well anyway kids a Husky now...I hope he shocks the world...just keep him away from Hoffman's and Cabella's

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Count me in with the nay's........coaching staff had a couple of seasons to line up some high level bigs knowing that Brimah and Facey were gone and to get a big 2 guard for this class... they struck out on Diallo and if the best they could come up with in all that time is this South Carolina reject who did nothing when he was there..... color me not impressed.......thought Killings was this super recruiter ?.....well anyway kids a Husky now...I hope he shocks the world...just keep him away from Hoffman's and Cabella's

Nobody could have seen Zach Brown's problems coming. That kid was the big fish and he was landed

295, holy moly. Still like it. If you aren't going to block shots, keep people the F out of the paint.

Adams, Gilbert, Jackson, Larrier and Vital should give us plenty of scoring. We need Rick Mahorn like role players and maybe this kid will be motivated by his second chance.​

Nobody could have seen Zach Brown's problems coming. That kid was the big fish and he was landed
WRONG Everbody saw Zac Brown's problems coming..just read the Russ Wood stuff (FLA Recruiting Reporter - Rivals.com) he's been giving us the inside scoop for a couple years now ...."The arrests and fights etc all happened after Lipman made Zach transfer from Miami Beach HS. I don't know anyone in South Florida who thinks that is a coincidence."...." big programs started backing off him around April 2015 " also said he was probably overated.

Last edited:
I thought that was the entire point of getting him out of that toxic environment, I don't recall anyone here claiming the kid was a time bomb.

Maybe I'm wrong.

295, holy moly. Still like it. If you aren't going to block shots, keep people the F out of the paint.

Adams, Gilbert, Jackson, Larrier and Vital should give us plenty of scoring. We need Rick Mahorn like role players and maybe this kid will be motivated by his second chance.​
Now that's a name from the past...we used to call him "Too Tall" (Like Ed Jones of the Cowboys) because he was a FB Def. End in HS....I used to play a bunch of street ball with him and the rest of the Weaver guys ....so now that we have Cobb we need another guy like Jeff Ruland and we can have our own version of "McFilthy" and "McNasty

Last edited:
I am not too excited about this guy, I basically expect him to be a rebounder off the bench and insurance on Diarra's knees. Strictly a bench player. If he is starting UConn's in trouble. 6 blocked shots in a full season of JUCO ball? He can't play the 5-

Yep he's a big , what's KO 6-3 ?:

C6XARL7U8AEQfIW.jpg

Here is a discussion about the Cobb commitment to UConn from the South Carolina fan board. Apparently there was a debate on that board at some point as to whether Eric Cobb was the worst player to ever attempt to play the game of basketball:

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Board/44/Contents/UConn-offers-Eric-Cobb-51139408

Hopefully he will have a better career at UConn than Jon Mandeldove, but I do not see him being more than a bench guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominicfrank
Blades, I had no idea that Rick was from Hartford. Was he really physical back then? Or was it when he went to the NBA he knew he'd have to carve out a niche and do the dirty work?

If Jalen and Gilbert can be our mini isiah and Dumars, now we need a Dennis Rodman. Unfortunately, I think Larrier rather score 20, than grab 20 rebounds. It will be interesting to see if there are enough shots to keep everyone happy next year.

From the pic, Cobb doesn't look sloppy. He may not be a shot blocker, but if he plays good position defense, rebounds his area and takes a charge now and then, that works for me,

Reactions: UconNell
Blades, I had no idea that Rick was from Hartford. Was he really physical back then? Or was it when he went to the NBA he knew he'd have to carve out a niche and do the dirty work?

If Jalen and Gilbert can be our mini isiah and Dumars, now we need a Dennis Rodman. Unfortunately, I think Larrier rather score 20, than grab 20 rebounds. It will be interesting to see if there are enough shots to keep everyone happy next year.

From the pic, Cobb doesn't look sloppy. He may not be a shot blocker, but if he plays good position defense, rebounds his area and takes a charge now and then, that works for me,
Funny thing about "Too Tall" was that his brother Owen( played @ Fairfield) was known as the better hoops player, but he was only about 6-5( and 240). Weaver had a guy, that I practically lived on the courts with, Shorty Davis who was All-State. Rick was probably only about 6-8 205lbs, coming out of HS and played center for them but wasn't recruited by any big schools & went to Hampton Institute, I think like D-2, ( NAIA or something). Then I remember him coming back in the summers after a few years. He was as wide as a house and was a serious player. His game and size had grown and I even remember him playing in some type of summer all-star game @ the Civic Center with Wes Matthews and a bunch of CT guys who were maybe just getting out of college vs. some NBA guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Here is a discussion about the Cobb commitment to UConn from the South Carolina fan board. Apparently there was a debate on that board at some point as to whether Eric Cobb was the worst player to ever attempt to play the game of basketball:

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Board/44/Contents/UConn-offers-Eric-Cobb-51139408

Hopefully he will have a better career at UConn than Jon Mandeldove, but I do not see him being more than a bench guy.
Good find KSTW, but not good. Question is if your a good player down in SEC country (in FB especially) you could probably do anything close to shooting the Pope before they would get rid of you. But now we have a perception & SC fans questioning KO's recruiting ?

Last edited:
Later on when I have time I will see if I can find the debate thread on that board over whether Cobb was the worst basketball player to ever attempt playing the game. Clearly the perception in SEC country is that the UConn program has declined to the point of accepting SEC rejects.

Well here's his coaches scouting report, FWIW... and...... yeah Id' say improved FT's..... from .056% (not .56%) at SC, all the way up too 66.1 % in Juco is a huge improvement.

Let's not forget KO's scouting also yielded Rakim Lubin. Where is the "Rak Attack" these days?
Actually it was a sanction imposed lack of scouting which brought us Rakim but, details, right? I mean it's not as though JC ever brought in JCMD type.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded getting someone similar with to him as a grad transfer - meaning a one-dimensional big body who is good for rebounding, taking up space in the lane, and giving five fouls. He fills a specific need for UConn next year. However, UConn already has enough big man projects, and I just don't understand why UConn would use a scholarship for two years on him. With no graduating seniors in 2018, UConn will only have one open scholarship for the 2018 incoming class. This will hurt down the road - and that's assuming he's even capable of playing the role they are expecting him to play.

I wouldn't have minded getting someone similar with to him as a grad transfer - meaning a one-dimensional big body who is good for rebounding, taking up space in the lane, and giving five fouls. He fills a specific need for UConn next year. However, UConn already has enough big man projects, and I just don't understand why UConn would use a scholarship for two years on him. With no graduating seniors in 2018, UConn will only have one open scholarship for the 2018 incoming class. This will hurt down the road - and that's assuming he's even capable of playing the role they are expecting him to play.

So more than likely just bringing in AJ Reeves in 2018?

If he can bang and board at that size we won't be sorry to have him for 2 years, if he can't it's only 2 years. I don't understand the anxiety over this add, it's got the potential to give this team a dimension it's been missing for too long.

I thought that was the entire point of getting him out of that toxic environment, I don't recall anyone here claiming the kid was a time bomb. Maybe I'm wrong.
Your probably thinking of when Brown came up to CT for the month or two. Russ said " I will say this, and I would say it to Lipman if he was in front of me, the only adult I ever met who gave me the impression that he truly cared about Zach Brown the person is Jacob Shaw........Shaw is the Head Coach at Miami Beach HS." also' I know more about this situation than I can post in an open forum. Just t-r-u-s-t me, plenty of folks in South Florida, who know how the Zach Brown story went sideways, want nothing to do with Lipman either." This was all back in 2015 so the red flags were flying high.....

Highly regarded center Zach Brown transfers from Miami Beach to Miami High....

If he can bang and board at that size we won't be sorry to have him for 2 years, if he can't it's only 2 years. I don't understand the anxiety over this add, it's got the potential to give this team a dimension it's been missing for too long.

If he can "bang and board" with the best of them, then he would likely be a starter, and we would be sad to see him go after two years. However, at the moment he seems like an end of the bench project who can be brought in to help in specific situations where UConn needs the muscle and a few extra fouls. If that is, in fact, the case, I question the use of a scholarship for two years.

I like it A LOT... fills a major need and somebody with some experience at higher level.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Now my biggest question is/was rim protection but maybe we do it as a unit then instead of funneling or having Amida only try and block most everything.

Now my biggest question is/was rim protection but maybe we do it as a unit then instead of funneling or having Amida only try and block most everything.
I hear ya, maybe the perimeter guys can finally start playing BB defense 101......by keeping themselves between their man and the basket...and stop giving up the 3 point line while their at it too.

I mean it's not as though JC ever brought in JCMD type.

JC did bring to us, at the same position, the likes of Uri Cohen-Mintz, the well hyped Ajou Ajou Deng and the unforgettable Ater Majok. But I would bet you all 3 of those guys had more blocks per game than Cobb did in JUCO ball last year. I question whether Cobb would win a vertical leap contest against some of the posters on this board. I want me some rim protection and I am not getting any.

I hope Cobb becomes a contributor - I really do. But I am not thinking he will be a second coming of Toraino Walker. I would gladly take Toraino or Kirk King in their primes. There was another thick kid UConn got from Louisiana his name was Heyward or something like that- he wasn't a total stiff hopefully that is what Cobb will be.

I hear ya, maybe the perimeter guys can finally start playing BB defense 101......by keeping themselves between their man and the basket...and stop giving up the 3 point line while their at it too.

Blades I don't agree with this theory of playing better perimeter D. It's hard to consistently do so. Rim protection is needed just to enable better perimeter D. Also, when there is no rim protection the rim is ruthlessly attacked and the tough teams penetrate and score or else will kick it out to someone left open when the defense is forced to collapse to guard the rim attacks. It's basketball malpractice to expose the rim to attack by not having any rim protectors. Also UConn's defensive success was built on aggressive defensive pressure on the ball due to rim protectors being in the backline.

Blades I don't agree with this theory of playing better perimeter D. It's hard to consistently do so. Rim protection is needed just to enable better perimeter D. Also, when there is no rim protection the rim is ruthlessly attacked and the tough teams penetrate and score or else will kick it out to someone left open when the defense is forced to collapse to guard the rim attacks. It's basketball malpractice to expose the rim to attack by not having any rim protectors. Also UConn's defensive success was built on aggressive defensive pressure on the ball due to rim protectors being in the backline.
Then you have never been coached at even the HS level. Rim protection is an entirely different discussion in man to man. No coach teaches his players to get beat off the dribble....SMH

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
Blades, modern defenses against modern offenses dictate taking away the 3 point shot. Most teams that are high division 1 teams have guards who, when the 3 point shot is defended, will drive and penetrate in search of easier shots inside. This is when a rim protector is needed.

This year UConn had many games in which they had a problem defending the 3, despite solid rim protectors, and it was because they were not playing good perimeter defense- mostly slow rotations and leaving guys open when the ball was swung around. This was poor fundamental defense which in fact was totally apart from having rim protection. But had the good defense been played, or is played next year, the offensive player will have the option to penetrate and attack the rim in search of a better shot or interior pass for an even better shot. This is when rim protection and lane clogging is needed.

KSTW, I made a specific point (DEFENSE 101) at where a good defense (at any level) starts out....now your all over the place, trying to prove a different point about shot blocking.....Uconn 2013/14 had no shot blocking playing for it all....unless from the limited minutes Brimah played( only about 13 minute per in last 4 games), because Nolan was no shot blocker. How'd they win? ......Defense 101...tough, pressuring stay between your man and the basket defense..... by everyone. Early in their careers, Boat and even Bazz cheated to much and would let their men around them ....what they all did as one unit and one love is how they won the NC championship, not shot blocking.

Here you should read this:
Basketball Fundamentals - Basic Defensive Tips
1. Most of the time, you should keep between your man and basket (but sometimes post players, will have to "front" a strong post-up player).
3. Guards out front can play back off your man a couple steps if the offensive player is very quick, and outside his/her normal shooting range. This space will give you time to react, so that the offensive player will not get around you. If your opponent is a good outside shooter, then you must play tighter.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT