ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Whaley commits to UConn

Is he going to protect the rims?
As I posted in the other thread, it looked like he was gonna be a Husky after his New Mexico visit.....Phil Nolan version 2.0 ???.... he's listed
6-10/215lbs. ( on his prep Roster last year – Mt. Zion Prep) ..... but here's a (strength & weaknesses to his game ) link from the summer of 2015 when Georgia was recruiting him: Isaiah Whaley - Class of 2016 Prospect - Georgia

FWIW in that 2015 link: Shotblocking: Whaley could learn to become better at this. He can block shots, but it does not seem to be his forte.

Last edited:
Not a lot of video on him.

He has some Facey to his game. Worried about his hands, doesn't catch it cleanl. But his ability to pass for a Big is exceptional.

We need bodies and the coaches have to start bringing in coachable kids that are willing to work and be developed.

Lets hope this gives us some momentum.

Hey the bright side is at least Uconn has 10 guys now to run a full court scrimmage( knock on wood)...;)

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Courant : Isaiah Whaley Commits To UConn
from article: " UConn has added two players in recent weeks — Whaley and grad student transfer Antwoine Anderson, a guard from Fordham — but still have three scholarships open for next season and will look to fill at least two of them."

Good to know if Don Amore knows what he's talking about.... can't go another season with a bunch of injury risks on the roster, but I still don't know where they're gonna get 2 more guys that could be contributors right away or if this suggests "sit out" transfers.....Especially if Sid Wilson's response and no commit seems to be a... thanks, but no thanks ?

Courant : Isaiah Whaley Commits To UConn
from article: " UConn has added two players in recent weeks — Whaley and grad student transfer Antwoine Anderson, a guard from Fordham — but still have three scholarships open for next season and will look to fill at least two of them."

Good to know if Don Amore knows what he's talking about.... can't go another season with a bunch of injury risks on the roster, but I still don't know where they're gonna get 2 more guys that could be contributors right away or if this suggests "sit out" transfers.....Especially if Sid Wilson's response and no commit seems to be a... thanks, but no thanks ?
Whaley reminds me more of a Sticks 2.0 I think than anyone else. We'll see if he can "reach his potential"

My guess is they will have 1-2 schollies available when all is said & done (shocker, I know). And possibly 1 or 2 for the soph class who just vanished

Whaley reminds me more of a Sticks 2.0 I think than anyone else. We'll see if he can "reach his potential"
My guess is they will have 1-2 schollies available when all is said & done (shocker, I know). And possibly 1 or 2 for the soph class who just vanished
Tough to tell without much tape as Canolee mentions.....but Sticks could jump through the roof, IW doesn't look like the " 6'10 POSTERIZER " the clip below claims......but we shall see. I did notice he did put up fair #'s from the FT line (71% as JR) which is always a plus for a big but these stat are from his Soph/JR years then he played 2 more : Isaiah Whaley's (Gastonia, NC) Basketball Stats

I guess the hope might be Wilson and Waters to finish out the class

Last edited:
I was hoping for a bigger stronger body with experience that can play the 5. Cobb might be the only guy who can really play the 5 who is on the roster. Whaley and Diarra and Carlton all seem more like 4s and Carlton doesn't seem like he has a strong body. Also none of these guys is more than 6'10" which could be a problem playing teams with big centers like Tacko Fall.

It would be nice to have one or two more bodies on scholarship who can actually play next year, given the uncertainty with the injuries. In a perfect world, the remaining scholarship(s) could be filled with one or two talented red shirt transfers, so next year's roster won't consist of mostly projects.

It seems like all 4 guys on roster to play the 4 and 5 positions are projects. Unfortunately it's an imperfect world but UConn will be playing teams with seasoned and proven players at the 4 and 5.

Carlton is a 5. He's not that tall but he is a center. Not mobile enough to be a 4 nor does he have the touch to stretch the court at all.

KO is really bringing in a lot of talent in! Going to be tough for the next coach unless it's someone like Sean Miller.

More on Whaley from Borges @ the NHR.... and some numbers from this past year in prep....interesting....he put up some some good numbers vs. top prep programs:

" Whaley, who checks in at about 190 pounds, averaged about 22 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks per game in his one season at Mount Zion. He came up big against top competition: 38 points vs. Putnam Science Academy; 24 points and 12 rebounds vs. Hargreaves; 30 points vs. Brewster Academy. “He was a double-double machine,” said Brown. “He’s very active, can step out and hit the 15-footer. He’s got a nice touch.”

The kid was coveted pretty seriously by some pretty good schools such as Maryland, Seton Hall, Xavier, and St. Louis. Seems to an under the radar guy who many coaches think has a lot of potential.

We shall see.

Glad to hear this young student athelete has selected UConn.....WELCOME.....cut the man some slack.....to many nay sayers, doubters on this site

Reactions: Afghusky15
DP just the opposite.... there's not enough posters... period...... on this site.....or it would be called the Boneyard....;)

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Another one from the Courant: Weird headline because it says he's physical but "Like many big men who come to UConn, Whaley brings quickness now and must add strength for later" ......... and quotes from his prep coach and PSA coach Tom Espinosa who played against him.

Newest Husky Isaiah Whaley A Physical Player Drawn To UConn By Ollie

HC says he gained weight this past year in Prep:
"Whaley, from Gastonia, N.C., played a post grad year at Mount Zion, which helped him build his body, improve his game, mature and repair his reputation after a brush with the law in September 2015, a misdemeanor larceny charge stemming from shoplifting incident...... I think (Uconn's) strength and conditioning coach pushed him over the edge because Isaiah actually put on about 15 pounds with me."

Last edited:
Reactions: Afghusky15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT