ADVERTISEMENT

I am sick and tired of these Officials....

Ozzie3178

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2006
Call it fair and we win that game. Prolly easily!!

Really 2 FTs most of the damn game. Really?!?

Also please please play Gibbs less minutes. P l e a s e!!!!!

Can't beat the zebras.... touch fouls on Uconn....so they make sure they get Brimah and Miller on the bench for half the game.( the freedom of movement bullspit out of no where was a Frickin joke)..... Cincy can go over a guys backs with a ladder and nothing.. Besides that Daniel's got to calm the hell down, pass more and shoot less...(2-11, 4 TO's) plus Omar back to a net negative( 1-5) and dribbled it right away into a lay-up for Cincy....just to many warts as always....and Rodney can you make a lay-up ??? I guess they have to forget this home job... just move on.... and they don't have much room to play around with so they better win out...

Last edited:
Death, taxes and uconn taking it in the rear by the zebras.

Hamilton was horrible again and that definitely didn't help. The vintage teams won these types of games anyway.

The game was lost on the Calhoun steal pass to gibbs... gibbs gets blocked back the other way for 4 point swing. I think if gibbs passes and they score uconn leads and huge momentum

The game was lost on the Calhoun steal pass to gibbs... gibbs gets blocked back the other way for 4 point swing. I think if gibbs passes and they score uconn leads and huge momentum
How about Purvis's end to end and missed lay-up, Cincy rebounds then goes down with only 3 back for Uconn and hits a wide open 3...5 point swing...that's the problem.... guys running with ball B4 fore they dribble....momentum killers..the list goes on and on with these WTF plays...KO said they missed 12 lay-ups as a team...SMH !

Last edited:
UConn was outrebounded again, 40 - 30. This has been a problem for too long, and it's going to prevent UConn from being consistently good. As mentioned in a previous thread, Len Elmore stated that SMU was only sending one person to crash for the offensive rebounds. That changed near the end of the game, and SMU started getting offensive boards and put-backs, and nearly came back. I don't care how good the defense is. If you can't rebound and other teams get second chances, they're going to score. I didn't see the second chance points, but my guess is that could have been the difference in the game.

Tough game and refs definitely weren't in our corner but they weren't the reason UConn lost. Missed layups and poor shooting was the dagger.

I hope Ollie inserts Jalen into the starting lineup and lets him lead and run the team. Move Gibbs off the ball and run plays that cater to his set shot.

It's now or never at this point to get this team going in the right direction for a postseason run

I agree with UConn Family and Mcgoo. Game was lost on the boards and missed layups and terrible low IQ ballhandling resulting in breakouts. I also note that Brimah after the biggest game of his career was a no show just like the Duke game last year when he was on the bench in foul trouble the whole games. The teams that play physically with Brimah eat him up.

I am not seeing this game as some in this thread did. UConn isn't getting FTs because they don't get good penetration other than Jalen - all the other guys get their shots blocked and can't finish. You guys expect Kemba Walker FT stats with guys who ain't Kemba. Come on now!!! Jalen was great today but 19 points and 0 assists. He is the only guy on the whole team who can penetrate competently let alone effectively. The other guys are totally ineffective resulting in the FT disparity you have seen. When anyone other that Jalen goes to the hole there are missed layups, shots getting blocked, guys getting stripped and bricks or TOs. It's the worst penetrating UConn team I have seen in a long time. That's why they don't get FTs. So let's stop excusing poor play.

Cincy bigs are more physical than UConn's and outplayed them badly both games. Kudos to Cincy and their coach, they deserved to win the game.

I did like that UConn fought late and Jalen really gives the team hope but the other guys are hopeless taking it to the hole. It's a virtual comedy show with anyone except Jalen going to the rim with the ball.

Last edited:
Ollie's comments on game:

"We've got to get tougher," Ollie said. "They out-rebounded us. I counted 12 missed layups. I could be wrong. It could be higher than that. We just have to get better. We missed a lot of shots. They beat us down (the floor). We didn't have the post presence we thought we had. We just got out-toughed today."

UConn missed 37 shots and had 9 defensive rebounds. That is not winning basketball. The reason so many shots were missed was because of the quality of Cincy's defense physically pushing guys out off their spots. Cincy to me is the best grinding type team UConn plays. UConn shot 37% or 38% in both games against Cincy this year.

Sometimes UConn loses because the other team was better. Today Cincy was actually better than the final score would indicate.

Last edited:
Most of what has been said and added onto after Ozzie's mention of the refs, regarding weak finishing and sloppy TO's isn't rocket science or anything new. It's been Uconn's MO most of the year but it's not mutually exclusive. I'm not buying the thing about Cincy being more physical, or the refs not having an effect. They were allowed to be more physical. So I stand by what Ozzie said about the home cooking. It's nice to go after rebounds when the refs don't call fouls. I remember one play where Hamiton had to rip the Cincy guys arm away after he got a rebound and he jumped on his back, no call. But Miller breaths on someone it's a foul, Brimah blocks Deberry just as cleanly as Gibbs got blocked on the break, it's a foul. At one point it was 7 fouls Uconn to 2 for Cincy in the 2nd half, how does that happen when your less physical ? SMU with Tolbert and Kennedy were just as physical inside but the difference was the refs (AB 33 mins/ Miller 31 mins) let em' play. Both ways. But as Canolee said, the difference is that the real good Uconn teams in the past, (unforced errors/ missed bunnies) were able overcome these type of games .

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
Blades, good post. I've said for years that Uconn gets the worst whistle for an elite team in any sport, that I've ever seen. I root for fsu in football and they get a bad or call or two in a game, but then get a call the following week. It usually even outs over the course of a year. Not here. It's GTown vs every other game on the schedule. New Hampshire out free throwed us at home. Some of it is teams play a lot of zone against us and some our guys have the reputation of not finishing at the hoop, but call what you see, not what you've read about or heard before the game.

Did Calhoun get a rep in the big east and as result, a less favorable whistle? But even so, why has it followed Ollie in a new league?

Meanwhile, my Duke buddies blew up my phone yesterday about Grayson Allen fouling out on a charge, that was in fact a charge and coach K getting his first T since the Carter administration. I texted them earlier this week that if we traded Allen for Purvis, we'd win the Natty, but I'd want him to still wear his Duke jersey.

Reactions: the Blades
Exactly my points Blades and Canoleee....

If one team is ALLOWED to be the more physical and imposing because lack of a whistle that is a major part. It takes away from your offensive aggressiveness as well. Hence you tend to shoot more from outside.

They knew we absolutely HAD to have Amida and Shonn on the floor most of the game not half or less than half of it...

Sucks but this team makes the tourney and will gel and make noise or they wont. Being a 4 seed or a 9 seed matters but it doesn't. We have an SMU away game to win then a conference tourney to win.

Lets go and YES Adams needs the ball in his hands all game.

If in fact Cincy was allowed to be more physical and imposing (which I do not totally agree with) maybe it's because Mick Cronin is really good at working the refs. He had an animated conversation with one of the refs, who I think was the head ref, which lasted a minute or two at the end of the half. Maybe Cronin did something he is supposed to be doing to earn his pay: successfully working the refs. Cronin in all the Cincy games I see is very active in working the refs, very animated and passionate in pleading his case, and he seems to be effective at it.

That being said, Cincy had some big strong bodies inside and they are going against a team that has not exactly been terrorizing the AAC on the boards. UConn is 11th- dead last - in O boards in the AAC and 7th in overall rebounding. Against teams like this if you don't rebound well and shoot 37% (also due to missed layups), winning isn't going to happen. Apart from this, any home team can be expected to get calls, which is simply part of the homecourt advantage and not a new development in college basketball. I did not see this game as worse than the game at Tulane, which was the worst officiating I saw this year, although Tulane was simply not good enough to capitalize.

Last edited:
I agree with Dominick that seeding is not relevant, what's relevant is just getting in. In my observation from having watched college hoops this year there is very little separating the top 35 or so teams in the country and anyone can beat anyone. It's not like in past years where if you get Duke in the second round you need to worry. I think that Villanova is the likely #1 seed in the East and should UConn get into the NCAA tourney, I strongly suspect that they will get a low seed in the East, meaning good chance they face Villanova in the first two rounds.

However an NCAA bid is not assured. SMU stands as another loss and if UConn does not win 3 of the last 4 and a minimum of 2 games in AAC tourney, they might be NIT like last year, with a high NIT seed. UConn is probably barely in right now, but they could blow that with another bad loss.

Last edited:
Too late for what... We are solidly a tournament team... We will be in the NCAAs.

Just not sure if we can win more than 1 right now is all

I will be very interested to see the updated Lunardi bracketology tomorrow. UConn is probably still in as a #10 or #11 seed.

The refs in this league are awful. They are inconsistent from game to game and within games. There was a play against Cincinnati where Miller went up for a rebound had it in his hands and then was knocked 5 feet in the air out of bounds with no call. I believe it also happened to Miller in the temple game.

The refs do nothing to protect Brimah. I can understand no calls when he is moved by the greater mass of the opposing player. But when he is pushed out of the way as he goes up for a rebound and gets no call, and then at the other end is called for a touch when defending is what bothers me. He is a player that can create a lot of excitement in a game thru defense and the league is keeping him on the bench.

Don't get me wrong he commits some stupid fouls, but in most leagues the upper classmen are cut a lot more slack than he is.

I will be very interested to see the updated Lunardi bracketology tomorrow. UConn is probably still in as a #10 or #11 seed.

Why do you think they drop a seed line or 2? They beat smu then lost away to a tournament team. They are probably still on the 9 seed line

I had thought UConn was a 9 seed as of the time of the Cincy game but they may have been flashing last week's update rather than a real time update.

The attached article by Myron Medcalf about each conference's best Final 4 contender says that Cincy is the AAC's best hope so it's odd that they only have an 11 seed. Kind of sucks for them:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ch-teams-give-conference-best-shot-final-four

UConn's wins at Texas and, in particular, against Michigan at the Battle of Atlantis, have looked better and better as the season has worn on. That is why UConn has a 9 seed and Cincy and Temple are stuck at 11.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

This has every single bracket projection put into 1 with the consensus seeds of the teams based on the bracket projections.

UConn - 8 seed
Cinci - 11 seed
Temple - 11 seed but close to being 12 seed

Tulsa is the 2nd team after St Mary's that is left out of the field.

Here's a RPI look at #37 Uconn and #59 Cincy...head to head it's Cincy 2-0 vs. Uconn..... but overall....

Cincinnati's.....best wins are vs. #37 Tulsa and 2 vs. #39 Uconn + #49 and #52 but they have a bad loss to #156 Memphis.... they do have one more shot vs. SMU at home
Connecticut ....best wins vs. #14 SMU, #28 Tex and #37 Tulsa + #57 Mich & 76 Ohio St....with the worst loss vs. Gonzaga #66

Uconn has to care of business these last 4 games and at least 2 in the AAC Tourney.... then everyone else can worry about the bubble... if they don't anything can happen.

Last edited:
UConn needs 5 more wins between regular season and postseason tourney. 5 wins or more and I think they are in for sure.

UConn needs 5 more wins between regular season and postseason tourney. 5 wins or more and I think they are in for sure.
I would hope 24 wins (with 10 loses) would do it ...except that thing called the American.....the NCAA committee hates this conference....just ask 23-10 Temple last year or 23-9 SMU the year before.

Last edited:
As long as UConn wins out except SMU and wins 1 in the AAC tournament they are in. They arent on the bubble at this point they are securely in.

RPI 39
SOS 52
Kenpom 24
BPI 23
Sagarin: 27

1-1 vs. RPI 25
3-2 vs. RPI 50
7-8 vs. RPI 100 (with 2 more to go)
12-0 vs. sub-100 (with 2 to go)

No bad losses. Cinci and Temple are on the bubble at this point in time along with Tulsa. UConn is in the field and only a collapse will take them out of the field.

I would hope 24 wins (with 10 loses) would do it with ...except that thing called the American.....the NCAA committee hates this conference....just ask 23-10 Temple last year or 23-9 SMU the year before.

Temple last year

Kenpom 54
SOS 61
RPI 34
BPI: 63
Sagarin: 62

1-5 vs. RPI 25
2-8 vs RPI 50
7-8 vs. RPI 100
16-2 vs. sub-100

24 wins is the magic number. If they are 24-10 they are assured a berth; anything less than that is a roll of the dice.

This is one of those years where UConn just needs to get in. It's going to be a very competitive tournament that is not top heavy. Worthy teams will undoubtedly be left out, as is the case every year, and it can be anticipated that those worthy teams will be outside the power conferences and will have their spots taken away by power conference squads with lesser records. That is just the way it is as of the last few years.

Teams like Tulsa and Wichita State may be crying and not dancing, but I don't think any of you guys will be handing out handkerchiefs.

They will be in. Not worried about that.... Just gel and please win this AAC tourney one time!!

Reactions: tcf_15
AAC tourney is very winnable this year, but UConn wlll have to beat both Temple and Cincy to do it, in all likelihood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT