ADVERTISEMENT

Huggins Resigns at WVU After DUI Arrest

This report provides some details on the DUI arrest. Really kind of sad because he blew a .21 (3 times the legal limit here in CT) and was unable to explain to the police where he was or how he had gotten there. He was arrested in Pittsburgh but believed he was still in Ohio, where he was attending a basketball camp:

Yeah I caught that yesterday when the DUI report came out. Huggins seemed like a time bomb waiting to go off, whether it was irrational behavior or his health. Doesn't look like he's long for this world unless he makes some serious changes. Great coach, could have been alot worse for innocent victims, he's lucky it was just a pinch, wish him well.

Last edited:
I agree, it's sad and he has weight issues and a history of some heart issues I believe. Alcohol abuse isn't something that promotes longevity in life. I view Huggins as having been a sort of old school coach in the Calhoun mold, gruff and demanding. He never got top recruits and his teams consistently overachieved at Cincinnati and West Virginia.

It appears Huggy Bear's wife reported his resignation by text message while he was drunk and getting rehabbed. Reading between the lines, it is apparent that she acted with no authority to do so, although I am sure she had the best intentions in communicating on his behalf. Then, later on, a sobered up Huggy B was told by his attorney that a voluntary resignation as opposed to termination for cause means money is lost. So it will again be litigation over termination for "good cause" and will depend on what the contract says.

This is like Kevin Ollie vs. UConn where the same issue was litigated and went in Ollie's favor, although the NCAA sanctioned UConn for recruiting violations and entered a show cause order against Ollie. This result was because someone drafted a piss poor contract for UConn. So maybe WVU contract with Huggy B is better drafted, maybe not, we will see. Unlike Ollie, Huggy Bear can argue he sought treatment and he is being discriminated against/punished for his addictive behaviors. Again, it will depend on what the contract says. There will also be the issue of whether the wife's well intentioned text message constituted proper notice of a voluntary resignation. My thinking is it probably does not.

WVU should have put Huggy Bear on a zero tolerance probation after his last embarrassing incident in which he made silly and unnecessary comments that were construed as homophobic. If they didn't it's on them.

Strictly from a basketball standpoint I think he is better as a coach than anyone they will hire, and it appears his players all like and respect him. But he has a history of embarrassing the schools he has worked for with what appears to be behavioral issues perhaps influenced by substance abuse.

This is a very serious issue. I know a very, very talented trial attorney who got suspended for substance abuse. Cocaine. He and I were frequently adversaries, but I got along with him. I also feel sorry for him because he possessed real and legit courtroom talent. He can no longer use it because of his addiction, which he could not control. He is not the only one I know who fell into this trap. Working as a trial attorney is a highly stressful profession, as is coaching. It is tough to deal with the stress of it sometimes. Do not think that substance abuse is not strictly confined to the streets, it is in all professions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT