ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops news from NYC, DC, Philly & Syracuse

If Cooley makes the lateral move within the Big East to Georgetown, for the financial reasons already posited, Providence's AD will have a crisis situation dealing with fans and boosters.

"Sources close to Cooley say he understands higher upside at Georgetown, and tough to keep this level up at Providence. Biggest question is whether he can pull the trigger and be disliked in his home city."

Last edited:
Only Ed Cooley knows what he wants to do. I doubt he cares about whether he will be disliked and booed in Providence. Any coaching job comes down to money being offered and the potential to win. I think Cooley thinks if put in charge of a big time program, he will become a big time winner. I am not sure Georgetown is really a big time program, but they may have more potential than Providence does for various reasons.

Although the New York Yankees reportedly were granted a "hometown discount" by Aaron Judge, who also had a ton of money thrown at him by the San Diego Padres and San Francisco Giants, I don't think Providence is going to be getting any kind of hometown discount from Cooley. They have to match Georgetown in money and years, and they need to convince Cooley he can pull in better recruits than what he would be pulling in for Georgetown. To me the main advantage Georgetown has is it's in a bigger market and has a more fertile natural recruiting base in the metro DC and Baltimore areas. Cooley has to recruit against UConn and although Floyd was a nice pickup and win from UConn, he hasn't gotten big recruiting classes. He is winning with guys who are "what's left" after the UConns, Syracuses and Villanovas and other top programs get their picks.

Last edited:
I don't know what the big deal with Cooley is ? But I guess when you've had a complete zero like Patrick Ewing ruining your team.....I guess it's kinda like what a former Uconn football player told me when they brought a mediocre coach like Randy Edsall back...... after a loser like Bob Diaco... " at least now we have a grown-up in charge" of the FB team.

Last edited:
If Cooley makes the lateral move within the Big East to Georgetown, for the financial reasons already posited, Providence's AD will have a crisis situation dealing with fans and boosters.
But I guess in some PC fans minds losing "Mediocre Ed Cooley" is not that great a loss, 3 tourney wins in 12 years ...Ouch !

How do they propose to attract a big name coach when a supposedly smaller name coach left to go to another Big East school? I am not buying this notion that Providence is this great destination for star coaches that can easily do better than Cooley.

Reactions: the Blades
Also no on Rickie P but a couple of reports G-town offering crazy $$ to Cooley and /or the MD/ DC native coming home ( Mike Brey ).........
Well now that the G-town job seems to be locked, I guess Brey has found the perfect warm weather retirement job, LOL!..... I mean it's USF in the often raided mid-major still known as Aresco's AAC. You don't really have to be good ...you just have to be there. Since most of the AAC schools end up somewhere else anyway...:D

What this is is addition by subtraction for the Big East. Patrick Ewing is removed, Georgetown gets a coaching upgrade with a coach in Cooley who is at least established as a winning college coach, and Providence now will get someone who they think is better than Cooley's 3 NCAA wins in 12 years. For the league as a whole, it's a win. Pitino replacing Anderson could also be viewed as a coaching upgrade, although I think Mike Anderson is a good coach with the right team and program.

Rickie P coming back to the Big East will make this league totally loaded with great coaches. I hope Georgetown ( (Providence ?) and St. John's have a bidding war for Rickie P's coaching services and his agent plays them off against each other just as all great agents do. May the highest bidder win the auction!
Make that Slick Rick might be playin' PC against ST John's ? Interesting clip......right here.....

Oh...and as the Big East carousal continues.........
St. John's seems to have much weaker grounds for termination for cause against Anderson than UConn did against Kevin Ollie, and UConn lost their arbitration case and had to not only pay Ollie, but also lots and lots of attorneys fees and litigation costs. I think Anderson will eventually get paid quite a bit even if unlike Ollie, he wears down from the litigation.

Garway Dual has decommitted from PC. According to this report, Penn State's Micah Shrewsberry and George Mason's Kim English, are being targeted by PC:
Neither one of those guys are New England guys. Shrewsberry was groomed by Brad Stevens when he was on the Butler coaching staff, and later coached with Stevens on the Celtics, so that sort of gives him a New England connection. But not sure why he would leave Penn State for PC, especially if Penn State matches what PC offers.

Last edited:
Looks like they're going young, 34 yrs. young for the next HC
That is the positive spin. Another spin is that they settled for sloppy seconds because the better, more experienced and proven, and more coveted coach, Micah Shrewsberry, an Indiana native, left Penn State to take the Notre Dame job:
Kim English has 2 seasons of experience as a college coach, and one winning season of those 2. It is not a track record that one could reasonably call "established winner." It's a roll of the dice, and sometimes a roll of the dice works out, sometimes it does not.

You might want to mark the Georgetown at Providence game next year on your calendar.

Last edited:
That is the positive spin. Another spin is that they settled for sloppy seconds because the better, more experienced and proven, and more coveted coach, Micah Shrewsberry, an Indiana native, left Penn State to take the Notre Dame
Wow that's a over the top assumption on your part. Why is stating a FACT....someone's age.... a spin period ????? Actually if anything it's probably that Providence went for the cheap/inexperienced option which kinda solidifies the point I made over a week ago in this thread......about Providence. But it's not my problem, LOL!
Plus can Providence afford Cooley if that's the number? They're both Private Catholics but G-town has a $3 Billion+ Endowment with nearly 22,000 students. That dwarfs Providence with its 4,800 students and only $231 Mil in the kitty.

Last edited:
That was exactly my point. Providence cheaped out, and when any sports team cheaps out, the positive spin is to say they wanted someone young. The only positive way a Providence fan can look at this is that they went with someone "young and energetic." Truth is, however, that if English is successful, PC will just be a stepping stone to a better job. Like VCU was for Shaka Smart when he was hired there very young.

Reactions: the Blades
Another name being mentioned for a Philly job. Always a Husky, Karl was the smartest guy in the room during the previous regime, having the insight to leave early away from that fraud KO ( like alot of players did, even without portal freedom) to join Pikiell in NJ.... Wish him best of luck. He deserves another chance after his decent 10 year HC stint @ GW, that included 3 trips to the NCAA's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT