ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops news from NYC, DC, Philly & Syracuse

Wow!

how old is he? Would he try the nba? I wouldn’t, but he’s already proved he’s a great college coach.

maybe TV? He’s a likable guy with a good sense of humor.

Wright: I lost my edge
Jay kinda sounds like Geno's been looking lately. At some point like the line says " the man's done enough"
Also kind of ironic that Jay, at 60, is heading out at the same age as someone like Jim Mora is heading back in.

Lost his edge=F this portal $h1t
Good call ..... As Mike Anthony mentions and we discussed in the Uconn guard transfer threads....
That's gotta have an effect on alot of coaches trying to build "culture" , especially how Jay did using redshirts and even keeping his NBA guys multiple years. ( but we know a guy who used the same model with his pros too, except in his final year as a coach with Andre D)

"To run an elite Division I basketball program is to embrace insanity, really, particularly in the increasingly complicated era of the transfer portal and the name, image and likeness movement."

Last edited:
With the very high attrition rate of players and the inability to create continuity from year to year, the new system will favor coaches who can quickly adapt and mesh players within a system. The days when we saw a championship team evolve and develop over 3 years, as we did with UConn's team from 1997-1999, are likely over. What this will do is make preseason top 25 polls much, much harder to evaluate especially with this level of attrition. We are going to see UNC as the preseason number 1 next year largely because they are returning the entire core of that team largely intact. After that it is anyone's guess. But it's going to be hard to return a team like that in future years. And year to year prediction of programs will be very hard with players in and out the door.

The ability to turn a program around very quickly with effective transfer portal acquisitions and rapid development and meshing of many new players is now going to be the new premium in coaching. The coaches who see Portalology as a science, and study and master the science, will be the new pioneers in the field. It's a new frontier and we will see who can conquer it.

Apparently this is more about seeking more money from the NBA:
I like the move of retiring, having it blamed by fans and media on transfer portal (perhaps intentionally and by design), and then turning around and quietly listening to big money offers from the NBA. It's brilliant. Pure genius. Wright would be a very good coach for a very young, developing NBA team.

‘Lost my edge‘ is Code for ‘F this portal $#1+’
>>>Calhoun believes this new era of free agency was a contributing factor in the retirements of iconic coaches Mike Krzyzewski and Jay Wright.........“You hear, ‘I can’t get five transfers and play the way I want to play,’” Calhoun said. “What I see is not a good ending. I don’t know what the good ending is. I know people say, ‘kids should to be able to transfer.’ Yeah ... I hate to throw everything at the NCAA because they have an impossible job, I understand that. But when they picked and chose who got a waiver and who didn’t, that kind of set this whole thing up. “I would adapt, sure. But right now, it’s not in a great state. I worry about our future.” <<<<

ALT look-----

Lost his edge=F this portal $h1t
Between the portal and the NIL cash, you got that right according to Boeheim about Jay, but at 78 years old, what is he hanging around for ?......... like Calhoun said above......on J and K, they must talk...
I can't see how Geno stays much longer either, at "only" 68 himself. He looks like he's got real old, real fast in the last couple of years...... and fat too. Which is pretty unhealthy looking for a guy who used to be lean and mean ;)

"Specifically, he's not a fan of how the NIL changes have worked out, going as far as accusing Pitt, Wake Forest and Miami of all buying their teams " :

"This is an awful place we're in in college basketball," he said. "Pittsburgh bought a team. OK, fine. My [big donor] talks about it, but he doesn't give anyone any money. Nothing. Not one guy. Our guys make like $20,000. Wake Forest bought a team. Miami bought a team. ... It's like, 'Really, this is where we are?' That's really where we are, and it's only going to get worse."
He added: "It's crazy. That's why those guys got out — that's why Jay [Wright] got out, Mike [Krzyzewski] got out. That's the reason they got out. The transfer portal and everything is nuts. It really is."

Last edited:
Yeah but despite all that criticism, Boeheim is not retiring and is instead signing up for another year of "NIL/transfer portal bullshit."

Reactions: the Blades
Yeah but despite all that criticism, Boeheim is not retiring and is instead signing up for another year of "NIL/transfer portal bullshit."
Tough first round (8-9 game) knock out in Greensboro, NC @ the ACC tourney for Cuse......... up 74-72 vs Wake with under 40 secs to go. Wake ties em' up and then wins it on a 3pt with a .5 sec left 77-74. It sounds like the Cuse AD might not want him back...

Last edited:
If Boeheim is let go, which seems at least possible, and Kimani Young is finally offered elsewhere, maybe Boeheim will settle for being an Assistant Coach at UConn? He can get back to a winning/top 25 program like he used to have back in the day. It seems like he could help as an analyst and consultant. Maybe even as a scout. Think George Blaney type role for Calhoun.

• Haha
Reactions: the Blades
He kind of peaked as a coach in the late 1970s and 1980s, although he won an NCAA title with Carmelo Anthony in 2003. Syracuse did have some great teams 1979-1995 or so. Especially the 1987 team beaten in the NCAA final on a last second shot by Keith Smart and Indiana and Bobby Knight.

He kind of peaked as a coach in the late 1970s and 1980s, although he won an NCAA title with Carmelo Anthony in 2003. Syracuse did have some great teams 1979-1995 or so. Especially the 1987 team beaten in the NCAA final on a last second shot by Keith Smart and Indiana and Bobby Knight.
Interesting Decourcy take from the Sporting News article above...."
The Syracuse job as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference is not the same as Syracuse in the Big East. When the Orange were attracting all those kids from NYC to the DMV, they could sell the promise of multiple trips to the home area for parents and family members to easily catch their games – and, perhaps even more important, the inevitability of finishing the Big East season at Madison Square Garden in the league tournament. Now, the Cuse must sell regular trips to the tournament in Greensboro, N.C., which led Boeheim to declare in 2017, “There’s no value to playing in Greensboro. None.” A bit of schadenfreude led this to be the site of the last Syracuse game he will coach. "

My recollection is that Boeheim was extremely unhappy when Syracuse left the Big East for the ACC and complained that the loss of rivalries would hurt. It arguably did hurt their recruiting in their traditional recruiting areas. I would be curious to know their home attendance in the ACC vs Big East.

My recollection is that Boeheim was extremely unhappy when Syracuse left the Big East for the ACC and complained that the loss of rivalries would hurt. It arguably did hurt their recruiting in their traditional recruiting areas.
Can't say I blame JB...In general all this CR because of TV$ has done way to much damage to rivalries in general. Because of the raiding aspect and unfortunately it's not over, with the PAC 12/ Big 12 battle still going on and schools like Clemson and FLA St. angling to get out of the ACC for more $$$. (guess who the ACC might call then ?)

There's even been rumors of the Big 12 looking at adding BB only members. ..... If anyone had any sanity in college sports they should probably just reshuffle the whole thing and put "all sports" schools back in the regions they belong.....but it seems like this crap will never end.

BY is Brett Yormark

Last edited:
A 2-37 record in Big East play the last 2 years is not really what the Georgetown fans wanted. It's not what they signed up for.

Last edited:
Rickie P coming back to the Big East will make this league totally loaded with great coaches. I hope Georgetown and St. John's have a bidding war for Rickie P's coaching services and his agent plays them off against each other just as all great agents do. May the highest bidder win the auction!

Rickie P coming back to the Big East will make this league totally loaded with great coaches. I hope Georgetown and St. John's have a bidding war for Rickie P's coaching services and his agent plays them off against each other just as all great agents do. May the highest bidder win the auction!

Sounds like he's already leaning towards.......

“I know the president [Rev. Brian Shanley] very well, he’s a superstar,” Pitino told The Post by phone. “I know him from Providence College, we’re both Friars at heart. The whole campus at Providence, he built all the facilities. If I have interest and (St. John's has ) interest, I need to get to that campus and see it. "

I am not sure why Cooley would leave PC if they agreed to match what Georgetown is offering.
"Georgetown has expressed interest in Cooley in the past. The difference, this time, could be a frustration by Cooley and a concern that Providence is not going to develop competitive NIL. "

Plus can Providence afford Cooley if that's the number? They're both Private Catholics but G-town has a
$3 Billion+ Endowment with nearly 22,000 students. That dwarfs Providence with its 4,800 students and only $231 Mil in the kitty.

Last edited:
"Georgetown has expressed interest in Cooley in the past. The difference, this time, could be a frustration by Cooley and a concern that Providence is not going to develop competitive NIL. "

Plus can Providence afford Cooley if that's the number? They're both Private Catholics but G-town has a
$3 Billion+ Endowment with nearly 22,000 students. That dwarfs Providence with 4,800 students and only $231,000 in the kitty.
If you are right and Providence loses Cooley to Georgetown, the PC fans will be livid. A lateral move to another Big East school like that is somewhat unprecedented. I can't recall it happening before although I could be wrong. But if Cooley does leave for the reasons you mentioned there will be a revolt in Providence.

Cooley has proven to be an extremely effective coach, one of a group of outstanding coaches currently working in the Big East.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT