ADVERTISEMENT

Home and Away vs Butler January 18 and 20

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This is fun, a home and home series with the same team 2 days apart. Butler has suffered 15 point losses to both Xavier and Seton Hall at home while defeating DePaul. They have one very impressive non-conference win, at Oklahoma by 4. UConn gets the home game first and then travels to Indiana. Need to get some more wins. A sweep of the home and home would be nice.

As with any other bulldogs- you need to show them who is boss!!!!

Last edited:
UConn has its full compliment of healthy players for the first time since Atlantis so these 2 games with Butler should be fun. I would like to see some more block parties like against St. John's and hopefully someone will invite Akok to that party as well because he was not part of it against small balling SJU.

Last edited:
Very uninspiring win vs. a team they should've blown out like Nova did. They get up 20 and then they decide they can float.....can't make FT's, throwing sloppy passes, not boxing out, guys getting the ball taken out their hands, couldn't guard a chair on D and let any guy with a pulse drive to the hoop (while giving up 24 fouls because of it to these guys ?). Martin gave back about 10 himself on missed lay ups, not boxing out and a lazy pass into the stands. Can't blame Hurley for the timeout in the last minutes, because of the suck fest/ lack of focus he was watching. Thankfully they could score at will vs. Butler.

DH needs to wake these front runners up or it'll be a bad loss in Indy.

3rd straight 15+ rebound game for Sanogo. Cleaning the glass!!!!!
That's about the only thing he did right (+ the blocks but he almost fouled out)..... how many bunnies did he miss ? while he's still trying to go up with crap forces when he catches to far away from the box or in traffic because he won't pass......6-14 from 5 ft away? and 1-5 FT's .... terrible offense from a guy that plays that close to the hoop....because he never met a shot he didn't like.... so he won't give it up and reset.

Last edited:
I looked at the Box Score and the only stat that was "jump out bad" was 24 fouls by UConn. Way too many and indicative of bad defense, even though Butler only shot 30% against UConn.

That's about the only thing he did right (+ the blocks but he almost fouled out)..... how many bunnies did he miss ? while he's still trying to go up with crap forces when he catches to far away from the box or in traffic because he won't pass......6-14 from 5 ft away and 1-5 FT's .... terrible offense from a guy that plays that close to the hoop....because he won't give it up and reset.
Sanogo missed a lot of shots on offense but the rebounds and blocked shots did show Butler who was boss tonight. I agree though on him getting bad position and also rushing his shots rather than fighting for proper position. We have to remember he is a sophomore pup and still a work in progress, as is AJ, who has more and more sustained flashes of great play while mixing in some bonehead TOs.

AJ, who has more and more sustained flashes of great play while mixing in some bonehead TOs.
True on AJ. seems like he gets going to fast for his own good and wants to run before he secures the ball or pays attention to an opponent around him. Though he's getting better at it and also kills it on the boards for a guard. The 3 pointers are an Amen moment everytime he hits em & it's like how did that go in. Even though he's makin' em now at a great clip.

couldn't guard a chair on D and let any guy with a pulse drive to the hoop (while giving up 24 fouls because of it to these guys ?)

Yep first thing DH mentioned in his presser. Uconn allowing dribble penetration in the 2nd half

True on AJ. seems like he gets going to fast for his own good and wants to run before he secures the ball or pays attention to an opponent around him. Though he's getting better at it and also kills it on the boards for a guard. The 3 pointers are an Amen moment everytime he hits em & it's like how did that go in. Even though he's makin' em now at a great clip.
On the subject of AJ, he is a strong candidate to have a Kemba- like elevation in his game. It is clear that he is improving. He had his first double double last night, but he is also making some incredible plays. At one point in the game last night, he received a pass and then immediately whipped a pass right on the money to Hawkins in the corner for an open shot. Steve Lavin, who was doing color commentary for FS1, called it a "hockey pass" and noted that it was right on the money so that Hawkins could collect the pass and shoot in stride. You see him make plays like this sometimes and they drop your jaw in amazement. Lavin at one point said he was the best all around player he has seen this year. We see him more but we see what Lavin sees, the kid is freakishly athletic, runs around the Court like an overcharged Energizer Bunny, and rebounds as well as any guard we have ever seen. With Sanogo rebounding the way he is and AJ crashing the boards like he has been of late, UConn could go higher than the current #7 in the country because these kids are improving as rebounders. I watched the presser and I came away thinking AJ is a very smart kid and he knows exactly what the team's problems were this game and he knows exactly what he needs to do to continue improving his game. Yes, it is a heart in your throat moment when he hoists up a 3, but they have been going in. He is not shooting contested or ridiculous shots, and almost every shot he takes that is not a 3 looks very makeable. He does not seem to have a scoring mentality so much as a team mentality, but as he gets better, harnesses his athleticism, and improves his shot, he will become a scoring option.

He does play too fast and has way too many situations where his running up the Court takes precedence over ball security, but I think it's going to get better with him. He is making things happen to start those plays, and get his hands on the ball, and then he just takes off without ball firmly secured. He just needs to pick his spots better with the bursts of speed and energy and flying all over the Court. I honestly love this kid despite his mistakes and I think everyone should sit back and watch the development and enjoy. This kid has a very high ceiling as a player and the attitude to reach it.

Last edited:
I don't see how the Uconn game will start at 9pm on FS1, when the 7pm B1G game on FS1 is just starting about 15 mins behind schedule.

Yep that's the plan ( Don't know why Fox held up the start of the B1G game, the FS1- G-town -PC game was over on time at about 6:55 )

Last edited:
I can't believe some of the shots these guys are chucking up (AJ, Martin, Hawkins, etc. ) and then can't believe when some guys shooting decent ones are getting nada, someones gotta have a TP- Marquette night in the 2nd half or it'll be a long ride home.

Last edited:

He does play too fast and has way too many situations where his running up the Court takes precedence over ball security, but I think it's going to get better with him.
Not tonight it ain't...Uconn gets a little flow going and a 7 pt lead ....there is AJ to give it right back

Last edited:
someones gotta have a TP- Marquette night in the 2nd half or it'll be a long ride home.
Who knew ? Tyrese after 3 halves in a row doing nothing since TUES.....he couldn't miss !
Also how did this happen after the last few games (12-12 FT's)

I can't believe some of the shots these guys are chucking up (AJ, Martin, Hawkins, etc. ) ...... the 2nd half or it'll be a long ride home.
DH on the talk after the 1st half :

Last edited:
UConn was shooting 29% at the half and ended up at 45% for the game, so they must have shot lights out second half. It did not seem like Martin missed.

Other important stats were rebounds 39-25 in UConn's favor, and 12 for 12 on FT, although UConn committed 20 fouls, which is too many.

Regarding "Action Jackson" as Steve Lavin affectionately calls him, he lived up to the moniker with a remarkably active and balanced stat line of 6 points, 5 assists, 7 rebounds, 5 fouls and 4 TOs, as he filled all categories good and bad.

UConn was shooting 29% at the half and ended up at 45% for the game, so they must have shot lights out second half. It did not seem like Martin missed.
Regarding "Action Jackson" as Steve Lavin affectionately calls him, he lived up to the moniker with a remarkably active and balanced stat line of 6 points, 5 assists, 7 rebounds, 5 fouls and 4 TOs, as he filled all categories good and bad.

Yep, Uconn was much more focused on offense with better shots in the 2nd, plus add in Martin who was Polleyesque at Marquette a few years ago.... The D was solid as usual and they stopped alot of Butler's dribble penetration, compared to Tues.

AJ gave and took away in this game including 2-7 on FG's with some weird looking attempts and certain stretchs where he seemed convinced he wanted to keep Butler in the game. Gaffney did some nice things to pick him up when DH had to bring AJ to the bench, with the bad fouls and loose handle.

Last edited:
AJ's main problem is he plays too fast. With experience I think he will pick his spots better. Even though he fouled out last night his defense is essential. Guys who play too fast on offense are usually good on defense because those same attributes lead to good defense although last night a bit too aggressive.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT