ADVERTISEMENT

Girls team

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
What a Run.........HATE losing but that was the perfect team to lose to. That William was UNREAL and s great story. I'm happy to lose to a young lady like that and a coach like that.

HOWEVER............What the flying F was Chong doing on that last possesion? That costs us our 12th title. A microcosm of the game that a 4 year player defies the best coach of any sport of all time in the time it matters the most. She literally took 200 wins in a row off the table with one stupid bone head, NON-UCONN play.

HOWEVER............What the flying F was Chong doing on that last possesion?
True ....couldn't believe it ...didn't Geno tell her ? you never take anything but the last shot in that situation at any level of basketball, then there's
only 2 outcomes you score/win or go to another OT. But there she was freaking out... out of control with 14-15 seconds to go throwing up that nightmare ...giving Miss St plenty of time to beat her team, which they did.....Funny thing is Miss st. had the same situation at the end of regulation ran it down and got the shot off...it was blocked but
Uconn could only throw up a half court prayer, if they even got it off in time...

It's too bad because Chong was kind of the weak link in the starting five yet clearly had deserved the start and to be in the game at that point. UConn's total lack of bench caught up with them this game. I was worried about an athletic physical team wearing them down and that is what happened. Look at what UConn got out of their bench- ZERO. That's why they lost.

Great game and it was what the sport needed to gain more interest.

I hated the flagrant foul call in OT, but then again, if Gabby doesn't get called for her fourth phantom foul with a minute left, they win in regulation.

I'm not so sure they were a shoe in to beat SCar a second time. I'd put 60-65% on us, however, anytime a team has big like Jones and plays physical defense, it means likely foul trouble for our two best players. Speaking of, Collier picked the wrong night to look mortal. But that is what happens deep in the tourney, you have an off night, you go home.

Get ready for the next two years, the title is coming back to Storrs...

Collier had gotten her shot blocked a few times in the games against UCLA and Oregon. It has to be remembered that she and Katie Lou, although both 1st Team All Americans, had never previously played as starters in high pressure deep NCAA tourney games. Experience is essential to winning even if a team has overwhelming talent. UConn almost got by with the lack of experience they had, but what really did them in I think was the lack of depth and bench. Against very athletic teams that play such good D, starters get worn down. This is what happened. The starters were playing heavier minutes than what they were used to against much better and more athletic teams. I thought they might get away with and overcome this shortcoming, but they didn't. They still had a great season and will not have these issues next year. Next year this team is LOADED big time

Before we get too down on Saniya don't forget the silly drive along the baseline by Napheesa....it was an overall poor game by our girls...not what the fans had been accustomed to......but they are human......the team lost the game not Saniya

Reactions: Dominicfrank
human yes but to defy the greatest coach of all time at the moment YOU CAN NOT do this..............brutal. Chong made the worst play of her career at the worst time she could ever have done it.

Collier was EQUALLY bad.

Had UConn beaten MSU they would have had trouble defeating the gamecocks and their much improved team from the one faced earlier in the year. Good luck in Columbia next year as the entire National Championship team returns.

SEC,SEC,SEC!!!

I agree that UConn would have had problems beating SC in the final but UConn also returns their entire team (including 3 first or second team All Americans) plus the best high school recruit and best transfer in the Country and if I were SC I wouldn't be saying things like "good luck next year against us." UConn was number 1 all year and won 110 in a row for a reason. They easily could have won both of the two games they have lost in the last 3 seasons.

You saw what our transfers from UNC and Ga. Tech can do and Dawn's got a great one from UK coming in plus top 10 recruits.

Not to mention at the CLA UConn will be playing before 18,000 gamecocks.

My money will be on UConn to win that game -they have been there and done that - did you see the UConn games at ND and FSU this past season? Coming to this board and talking trash is not the way to go. Congrats on winning the championship but I would not be counting on a repeat. UConn will be preseason #1 team and favorite to win it all next year as they will have the size and more importantly the depth that they lacked this year.

Last edited:
I disagree 10000%. I love SC fans coming on here. LOVE IT. UCONN would have beat SC but we will never know because we played a terrible game and got beat on a last second prayer shot in OT.

SC will be tough to beat in Columbia no doubt but acting like we dont have the best transfer on the planet that will get POY consideration that is 6'6" is foolish. Not knowing that the next Maya Moore is coming in as the top recruit, by a mile, is foolish. Oh yeah and we have a GREAT role player recruit transfer from UK as well that will suit it up next year on top of our Sophomores with something to prove.

Aja Wilson got a NC, that sucks because it was cheap but ALL THE BETTER for the narrative the next 2 years.

Mark my words.....................SC doesn't win another NC as long as Geno is coach of the Huskies.

Dominick,

SC this year winning NC is probably good for women's hoops and stimulates interest for next year, but the truth is UConn was by far the best team this year. They may or may not have beaten SC tin the final his year, and they may or may not beat them at SC next year, but they will have a better team than SC next year, as they did this year, so long as the top 4 players stay healthy. I would think at SC is the only game UConn will possibly lose next year and another undefeated season like 2015-16 is a good possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT