ADVERTISEMENT

Geno: Our Recruiting Classes Have 'Sucked'

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Main-Logo.png

Delivered early each morning to your email inbox!

Geno: Our Recruiting Classes Have 'Sucked'
The Story: There's an easy explanation for why the women's basketball team hasn't had much depth in recent years. It's because the Huskies have not recruited well, Geno Auriemma said.

... 'NOT RECRUITED WELL'? OK, yeah, Geno was a bit more harsh when speaking to reporters ahead of tonight's game against Seton Hall (6:30 p.m., FS1). "It's more of a function of two recruiting classes we had that sucked," he said. "Whenever you see teams with a really short rotation at really high level, that's generally what it comes down to. Two recruiting classes [we] screwed up on. No. 1 reason."

THAT ONE STINGS: It does, but he's right: The Huskies are playing six players this season, and played six players almost all of last season, because they were not able to reel in as many nationally-ranked targets as they have in the past. Yes, they may have the No. 1 player in the Class of 2018 in Christyn Williams, the No. 5 player in the Class of 2018 in Olivia Nelson-Ododa, the No. 1 player in the Class of 2017 in Megan Walker and the No. 3 player in the Class of 2016 in Crystal Dangerfield. Those four are playing and are the only ones who have proven themselves during their time in Storrs.

But the three other players who committed to UConn alongside Walker have all transferred; Kyla Irwin and Molly Bent, who have had to play bigger roles than expected this year, were not top-100 players out of high school; and the only high school prospect Geno landed this year was Aubrey Griffin, who was ranked No. 21 in the Class of 2019.

I've been saying this for 4 years now......recruiting has been WAY down and its been the lack of SIZE that has doomed us and will again this year.

Honestly I love Paige Buckets! but she isnt BIG either so not sure we have much to get excited about just yet. We need a Tiffany Hayes, Morgan Tuck, Dolson, etc..... As much as I WANT Walker to be special, she isnt a killer and can get taken out of game EASILY. If this teams makes it to the FF I will be happy.

They are getting outscored by seton hall, he might be right.

Like last night, you have to get stops to build leads. Not rocket science.

He is having to play the bench because no Dangerfield and Williams and ONO in foul trouble. This is a positive because they are holding their own on the road against a good team. The bench has to be developed.

Griffin growing up in front of our eyes. Molly with 10 key points.

If you said no Crystal, Ono and CW in foul trouble with only 16 combined and 12 3’s for SHU, I’d think we’d be down 8.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Griffin looks like she’s playing at a different speed than everyone else. Like a better scoring/likable Dennis Rodman. ;)

Its going to happen in a college basketball season that a road game in a small, noisy, packed gym gets dicy when the home team drains 13 3s, which is what SHU has now. These are the true tests you want your team to have. Adversity builds character. This is a building game for UConn. Griffin 25 points and 11 boards and UConn has needed all of it.

The shoveling of dirt on the program may have been premature. :)

Geno said Griffen was possibly the best athlete UConn has ever had. She showed that tonight......she looks like a Gabby Williams 2.0. She could be awesome.

Griffin plays with as much energy as any UConn player I have ever seen. Her motor revs very high and when you combine the high motor with elite athleticism, last night is what you get. I would make her the 5th starter when everyone is healthy and let Makurat come off the bench.

The apple did not fall far from the tree with this girl and her Papa should be very proud. Now UConn needs to get Kobe's daughter, once she is of age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT