ADVERTISEMENT

Diggins Leaving/Transfer Portal

I peeked at the transfer portal and one guy who is available is Andre Curbelo of Illinois:

Had a great freshman season but his sophomore season was interrupted and messed up by a concussion:
However, of some note, dude cannot shoot from 3 at all, 16% career in 2 seasons which sucks major moose balls, and that cannot fly.

• Angry
Reactions: the Blades
Could this mean Cole is coming back and he doesn’t want to sit Another year?

because give me a month to get in shape and I could beat out Gafney. 😊

Cole isn't coming back. Diggins played 46 minutes this season which is pretty much all one needs to know. 46 minutes for a season means coach has no confidence in your abilities. It screams it.

Last edited:
I was looking at the transfer portal and the PG talent in it is very weak. There is a kid from NC State who is long and wiry that is the only PG in the top 10, and he cannot shoot. So the pool of JUCOs and unsigned PGs will have to be looked at.

RJ Cole is far better than anyone in the transfer portal right now at the PG position.

Cole will be a nice player in Europe, like Khalid El Amin was. Meanwhile, UConn needs to hit the ground running looking for PG replacements. I think they need 2, 1 of whom is starter quality.

Hurley: Late Signing Period Will Be Crucial
Sounds like they will look aggressively at the transfer portal for a PG. UConn has to hope some other PGs become disenchanted with their current programs because the current talent in the portal at PG looks thin. If Hurley wants to play "4 out" with Sanogo, the 2 top PGs in the portal right now are not the guys to do it with.

If Hurley wants to play "4 out" with Sanogo

Well the 4 out that DH wants to use is fine, with the right personnel. But what he was trying to run this year, some type of constant motion, with screens away from the ball for your one and a half ball handlers he has and thought would work was insanity. It's kinda like trying to copy Golden St's motion and flex screen offense, but without a 4 man like Draymond Green who's almost like 4 man/ PG out away from the hoop who can handle and pass.

There's a reason they call the position a POINT guard. It's where the point of the offense is supposed to originate from, not having Cole hand it off to a big and then running away from the ball, around the court through a bunch of useless screens, hoping to get it back from a big like Whaley who would get stalled and flustered with the ball in his hands because can't pass ( or dribble, unlike Green)..... and Hurley thinking that offense is going to work. That's was the biggest problem this past year. DH's stubbornness to continue to run an offense that didn't work with his rotations skillset.

That being said his current roster is kind of on big overloaded. So a good coach needs to be able to make adjustments in his offense for the players he has. Especially with 2 more bigs like Clingan and Karaban being added to Sanogo, Akok, Springs and Samson. Or we are gonna see more of the same. And if he doesn't think he can play at least 2 of them together along 3 guards/wings...why did he recruit them to begin with ?

Hopefully Sanago and one of them is in the line-up ( as a stretch 4 ) and they can play together with 3 of those below. Or whoever he recruits from the portal or HS this spring who can shoot and play off the bounce. Or DH has a roster problem, AGAIN, in terms of how he wants to play.

“Just get more skill on the court,” Hurley said. “Having three non-shooters in the game just becomes tough ... I think it’s really important we put guys next to Andre (Jackson) and Jordan (Hawkins), or Corey (Floyd Jr.) or Jalen (Gaffney). We’ve got to make sure it all fits.”

PS- And I'm sure he consideres AJ a non shooter and that is a bigger part of the problem .

Last edited:
Karaban seems like he may have been recruited as a stretch 4 and Johnson, in his limited minutes last year, showed some 3 point shooting ability. And we know Akok can stick 3s. So those are all guys who can be surrounding Sanogo in 4 out schemes. They could also use 2 of those guys with Karaban at the 3. UConn primarily at this point needs help at PG and perhaps a proven scorer at the 3

So Dan loses 2 PG's in 2 days.... besides Cole, which leaves zero on the roster.

I was looking at the transfer portal and the PG talent in it is very weak.
Borges mentions this kid, from the AAC, but everyone is after him from Gonzaga on down. So it'll be they highest bidder win$..." One intriguing name is Tristen Newton, a 6-5 point guard who averaged 17.1 points and 5 assists per game (also shot 88% on FT's) this past season as a junior at East Carolina. Newton scored 25 points against the Huskies as a freshman. "

Here is another possible transfer portal target: Nigel Pack of Kansas State, more of a scoring low assist point guard. A sophomore who averaged 17.4 ppg and shot a blistering 43.6% on 3s. It looks like he was asked to score more and pass less, but the head coach got replaced so he decided to move on:
First Team all Big 12 and led league in 3s per game and 3 point %. He will likely be heavily recruited.

Of note, he averaged 3.8 assists per game his freshman year but took on main man scorer duties his sophomore year. At 6 feet, he is smallish, but so was Cole.

He is from Indianapolis so I am guessing the B1G will be all over him. He is going to start wherever he transfers.

Last edited:
Karaban seems like he may have been recruited as a stretch 4 and Johnson, in his limited minutes last year, showed some 3 point shooting ability. And we know Akok can stick 3s. So those are all guys who can be surrounding Sanogo in 4 out schemes. They could also use 2 of those guys with Karaban at the 3. UConn primarily at this point needs help at PG and perhaps a proven scorer at the 3
Here's a read on him and Floyd:

Cliff notes Blades? They want you to buy a website to read the article.

I love Hurley, especially after the comatose Ollie that was stapled to the bench. Much like his nba career.

but no PGs makes a warm seat after A disappointing post season, that much Warmer. I’m sure he has a plan and does his brother have any eligibility left? Because he’s no John Wooden, either.

Cliff notes Blades? They want you to buy a website to read the article.
Weird ...I was able to read it somehow without signing up..... long read, but here's a few
Coach Dan Hurley believes the duo can be impact players along with fellow newcomer Donovan Clingan, a standout center out of Bristol Central. "It was good for them," Hurley said. "It puts them in a position to be able to give us quality minutes. Those guys will both be impact players, how big an impact is going to be decided by how ready they are."..."They understand what we're trying to do on defense. They understand what the practices are like, how big these games are."

"If Corey was available and wasn't a red-shirt, he would have played this year because he's physical, he's got great pedigree and size," Hurley said. "He doesn't have anything that's really deficient. He's an athlete, well-rounded, and he's still young."

"The thing you know about Alex and Corey is that they'll force their way on the court," Hurley said. "You just can't recruit somebody and think they're good enough. Once they get here, they've got to get themselves on the court. Guys like James (Bouknight) and Adama (Sanogo) and Andre Jackson, from the day they stepped foot on campus here, they made it abundantly clear that they were not going to be not on the court.

"Alex is going to have to fight his way on the court. But he's a good player. He's got a super skill, which is shooting and passing." Karaban believes that he'll fit in well next season due in part to his versatility and basketball smarts. He knows he'll have to work hard to earn playing time. There also will be ample opportunity for Karaban to earn a regular spot in the rotation. He brings a much-needed skill, and that's the ability to knock down a jump shot.

"Coach Hurley doesn't promise anything," Karaban said. "We have a great opportunity that's ahead of us just to work for and prove ourselves. I think we'll be on the younger side for the team next year with a bunch of people leaving. "Just a big opportunity for the freshman class next year."

Just an added note -Corey Floyd Jr did play PG for Team Final who won the Peach Jam Championship.
He lead the team who featured Jalen Duren (Memphis) and Derrick Lively(Duke) in assists, FWIW

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Another kid Hurley might want to check on especially with Travis Steele gone from Xavier and all these Uconn guards leaving is the 6-5 PG from New Haven who played at PSA :

Desmond Claude, 2022 Point guard - Rivals.com

Claude said he got a couple of calls from UConn’s staff, but otherwise, there was really no interest on the Huskies’ part. “It wasn’t really a let-down,” Claude said, before quickly adding, “it would’ve been nice, though. But I’m glad with the decision I made. I think it’s the right fit for me, and I’m just focused on that right now.”.....I love that Coach Steele will help me develop, and I trust that he won’t recruit over me. ...

" UConn could have R.J. Cole back for another season next year, not to mention current junior Jalen Gaffney and freshman Rahsool Diggins. The Huskies also have four-star guard Stephon Castle coming in for 2023. Claude’s now playing his grad year at Putnam Science Academy, a short ride from the UConn campus. And while he was never a diehard Huskies fan, Claude reported: “I did like them for a few years — especially when they had James Bouknight. That was my favorite player to watch in college.”

Last edited:
I would think every high division 1 school should be in on this kid. All I can say is I hope more talent comes into the portal. High caliber productive starting point guards are hard to find.

Borges- article on 2023, 6-6 guard, Stephon Castle (ranked #23).....played for Ricky Moore " At the Underclassmen All-American Games "....“He’s a point guard, no doubt about it,” Moore added. “If he focuses, he really has a chance to go to the next level.... That’s what got my eye. I was like, ‘Man, he really can see the floor.’ He’s gonna be a great addition.””........... and regarding:

“I didn’t expect them to leave, knowing that R.J.’s not gonna be there,” Castle said of Gaffney and Diggins. Still, don’t expect Castle to reclassify to 2022 and emerge on UConn’s campus for next season. At least for now. “I’ve thought about it, but I’d rather take the extra year of work to get myself bigger and stronger before I go into college,” Stephon said. “I’m not trying to throw myself there because I want to go there so early.”

Still, things could change, depending on how the next month or so shakes out and who UConn nabs from the NCAA transfer portal......Castle hasn’t broached the subject with the coaching staff yet, but probably will this weekend in Indianapolis, where his Atlanta XPress AAU team will compete in a tournament with Dan Hurley expected to be in attendance.

“There was a little bit of talk about (reclassifying),”... Stephon’s mom, Quannette admitted. “That’s definitely gonna be something to really talk about. But I believe that he’s gonna go back to high school. There hasn’t been any decision on him reclassifying.”

Rivals is calling him a shooting guard. 247 says he is a combo guard. There is no consensus that he is a point guard:

Right now at least 2 players are needed at the PG position.

The 3 St. Peter's guards have all entered the transfer portal:
Of these 3, I like the PG Matthew Lee. He is the son of former national College Player of the Year Butch Lee. He is a steady player. Maybe a backup. Banks is also a good olayer.

Rivals is calling him a shooting guard. 247 says he is a combo guard. There is no consensus that he is a point guard: LOL!
Except, you know, from the people who matter:
Said Newton (his HS ) coach Charlemagne Gibbons: “Stephon is multi-skill point guard with great size at 6’6 and a very good athlete. He has a high basketball IQ and can really pass the basketball.

and others such as the GA Rivals writer:

WHAT UCONN IS GETTING:

Castle currently comes in as the No. 25 overall prospect in the 2023 Rivals150. After watching him again recently, that might not be high enough. At 6-foot-6, he’s a legitimate point guard that can run a team and he’s now playing with the confidence that he can score with the best of them. Because of his size and athleticism, he’ll be able to defend multiple positions at the next level. Castle has a chance to be next in a long line of really good players for the Huskies that could also eventually play in the NBA.

6 rebounds per game is impressive. By contrast Andre Jackson had 6.8. UConn could really unleash the guards on the boards with this guy. But it seems like there is a lot of interest.

Although it is "Premium Content" only viewable by paid subscribers, there is an article in the Register in which Stephon Castle told the Register he will "never de-commit" from UConn. I certainly do not know why he would when all 3 PGs who potentially could have returned next year chose not to.

I’d take all 3 of those St. Petes kids.

you figure Seton hall would have the pick of the litter.

I’d take all 3 of those St. Petes kids.

you figure Seton hall would have the pick of the litter.
Unidentified sources told NJ.com that Seton Hall will not recruit any of the 3:
"This week three of his former Saint Peter’s players hit the Transfer Portal in Doug Edert,Daryl Banks III and Matthew Lee, although sources said Seton Hall is unlikely to recruit any of them."

Although it is "Premium Content" only viewable by paid subscribers, there is an article in the Register in which Stephon Castle told the Register he will "never de-commit" from UConn. I certainly do not know why he would when all 3 PGs who potentially could have returned next year chose not to.
Did you read the CT Insider article I posted above ??? The whole de-committ thing was some kind of April fools joke about Castle and Clingan......but in case you can't read it here goes....( I read these articles for free all the time )

>>>> Sure enough, following a workout at Newton High in Georgia on Thursday, Castle was approached by a few of his teammates showing him a Twitter post from what appeared to be the account for @VerbalCommits, a respected college recruiting site. “2023 four star prospect Stephon Castle has decomitted from Connecticut,” the post read. A minor panic spread throughout the UConn Twitterverse before people quickly realized the date of the post: March 31. You know, a day before April Fool’s Day.

It was, indeed, fake news. The account was fake, named @VerbalCommitts (note the extra “t”), and also falsely posted that Bristol’s Donovan Clingan was decommitting from UConn. The Castle family was quick to dispel the “news.”........“(Stephon Castle) has NOT DECOMMITTED from (UConn),” Castle’s dad, Stacey, tweeted. “Respectfully please don’t put things out about my son without checking with me his DAD! Don’t know where y’all got this.....but it’s absolutely FAKE NEWS!!!” <<<<

I can't read premium content articles. I am not going to pay just to read some article in the NH Register. I don't pay for reading any news. I get my news for free or not at all. If others want to pay that's their business but right now eggs are over $4.00 a dozen and Easter is less than 2 weeks away. You want to be able to put some eggs in the basket.

I can't read premium content articles. I am not going to pay just to read some article in the NH Register. I don't pay for reading any news. I get my news for free or not at all. If others want to pay that's their business but right now eggs are over $4.00 a dozen and Easter is less than 2 weeks away. You want to be able to put some eggs in the basket.
Me either, like I said I read it for free, because I know how to get past their paywalls. Don't know why you guys can't read them for free too. So that's why I shared.

Something doesn't seem right when a guy enters the portal and there is literally nobody with experience in front of him:
So much for building a culture, but a kids gotta do what he's gotta do. It seems like this is College sports in general now because of the portal, NIL, etc. The hockey team just lost a bunch of guys to the portal who would've had major roles, since almost half the team left by graduation and/or signed pro contracts ( 7 at last count )

So I don't want to hear the term Student / athlete thrown around anymore by administrators trying to suck Milion$ in donations from the only thing left that's stable in college sports, the loyal fans. I guess you reap what they've sowed for years..It's laughable that any of this is called a non-profit or about education/school. It's worse than pro sports with unlimited free agency.

Regarding Corey, it is what it is. Welcome to the new age, when if a kid isn't promised everything he wants in the off-season or sees a little competition coming in from the outside, he might feel slighted because he put in the work with that school/team.

So I can see both sides. On the bright side I heard Richie Springs has been working on his handle for the 2 guard slot...;)

Last edited:
Back to the OP, looks like he had some B1G interest (Penn St.) but they went in a different direction and just brought in 2 mid-major guards from the portal . So now it's down to the A-10, with new Umass coach Frank Martin pressing hard.

Last edited:
Since Diggins did not really play at all last year, nobody knows what they are getting with him. His strengths and weaknesses are unknown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT