ADVERTISEMENT

DHam made it official

All indications show that JA and AG can breakdown their men and deliver the ball too.

It's not really balanced basketball if guards are making up for very meager offensive output by the big men related to the efforts of Hamilton. If Adams and Gilbert can feed the bigs for lobs like Hamilton did that would be nice, but Hamilton and Brimah seemed to have uncanny timing and really executed the lob play well. It's important to make the other team defend the threat of that play, especially when Brimah does not have many other ways to score.

It's not really balanced basketball if guards are making up for very meager offensive output by the big men related to the efforts of Hamilton. If Adams and Gilbert can feed the bigs for lobs like Hamilton did that would be nice, but Hamilton and Brimah seemed to have uncanny timing and really executed the lob play well. It's important to make the other team defend the threat of that play, especially when Brimah does not have many other ways to score.

Let it play out, Bazz ,Boat, Daniels , etc played with Brimah before D-Ham got there and that worked out fine....

So disappointed. He looked poised for a breakout year. If we're not going to land these one-and-done's then we need to compel these late bloomers to stay in school. We are in no-man's land right now. Had Bazz declared one year earlier he'd be playing somewhere in Luxemborg, on the bench.

So disappointed. He looked poised for a breakout year. If we're not going to land these one-and-done's then we need to compel these late bloomers to stay in school. We are in no-man's land right now. Had Bazz declared one year earlier he'd be playing somewhere in Luxemborg, on the bench.

You win the bonus prize,
he stayed around & improved his stock to a 1st round bump... as a SR no less. And he's already up to almost 4 million guaranteed (Shabazz Napier's salary at the bottom) because of that smart decision, whether he gets sent to the D-league, gets major PT or not.

Look... I agree with most... IF that were my kid... But I'm ok with him leaving as long as he himself felt that it is the best way to help him and his family moving forward! If it ends up being a tough or mistake type decision then he will learn from it.

He just needs to now go make us proud at the next level!!

I think it is a sketchy decision on Daniel's part, but he has talent and he will make a good living playing basketball at some level. I hope that Daniel does well and that he becomes a good representative for UConn and helps the UConn image and future recruiting down the line.
However, I have been a die-hard UConn fan for over forty years and how UConn does is 100 times more important to me than Daniel's individual success. It remains to be seen how well the team will do next year. But it does seem likely that this decision will hurt the 2016-2017 UConn men's basketball team's theoretical ceiling.

I think there is no question that the departure of Hamilton hurts the ceiling of next year's team. He was developing into a main man player at the end of the season. His change of speed and change of direction moves were leaving defenders flatfooted. All he needed was to improve his outside shot which I think he would have in the offseason with work and patience.

Reactions: Doc2000
The truth is while DHam is a greast player and we are better with him than without him......this team next year rests 100% on how GREAT Adams can be.

And who exactly is going to rebound the basketball? Between Hamilton and Miller the two best rebounders on this team BY FAR are now gone. Hamilton led Miller by over 3 boards a game.

Facey will more obviously and it will be by committee. Hopefully Purv decides to come back and be that senior leader on the floor to help the young guards.

Ozzie,

Facey averaged 3.6 boards a game last year, playing 12 minutes per game, as a junior. While he is a solid rebounder, he is no Dennis Rodman. I am wary of "committee" approaches to rebounding. It's like "closer by committee" in baseball- it's a euphemism, the real meaning is that you don't have a real closer, or main man rebounder, and need to rely on the contributions of many to hopefully produce what should the job of one primary guy.

As a matter of interest, in case you are a baseball fan, the Yankees have 3 legit closer types on their roster this year (Betances, Miller, and Chapman, who comes back from MLB suspension in early May). I have never seen this since the Cincinnati Reds "nasty boys" bullpen of the early 1990s.

In college basketball, it's nice to have one guy good for 8 boards every game, but I don't see such a guy on UConn's roster. Facey will not play enough minutes because he is too foul prone and has too many holes in his offensive game, mainly a total inability to finish anything close to the hoop unless it's an uncontested dunk.

Ozzie,

Facey averaged 3.6 boards a game last year, playing 12 minutes per game, as a junior. While he is a solid rebounder, he is no Dennis Rodman. I am wary of "committee" approaches to rebounding. It's like "closer by committee" in baseball- it's a euphemism, the real meaning is that you don't have a real closer, or main man rebounder, and need to rely on the contributions of many to hopefully produce what should the job of one primary guy.

As a matter of interest, in case you are a baseball fan, the Yankees have 3 legit closer types on their roster this year (Betances, Miller, and Chapman, who comes back from MLB suspension in early May). I have never seen this since the Cincinnati Reds "nasty boys" bullpen of the early 1990s.

In college basketball, it's nice to have one guy good for 8 boards every game, but I don't see such a guy on UConn's roster. Facey will not play enough minutes because he is too foul prone and has too many holes in his offensive game, mainly a total inability to finish anything close to the hoop unless it's an uncontested dunk.
True, and KFacey has always been a better offensive rebounder than defensive (to my eye, he often failed to box out properly ). All of our players need to dedicate themselves to hitting first and consistently boxing out. Rather than getting manhandled (see Kansas game), they should be able to draw more over-the-back calls.

Again FWIW, there seems to be a huge variance of opinions as to D-Ham's draft value....I just saw that ‎NBA Draft.net has bumped him all the way up to #31 in the 2016 Mock Draft as the first 2nd round pick of the Celtics who have 7 picks ( three 1st rounders and 4 in the 2nd meaning they all won't stick with the C's) and Walter the Football's 2 writers have him as #34....But NBAdraft.net has had him all over the place since the end of last summer...from a lottery in 2016 to a mid 2nd rounder in 2017 by March....

Add that with the bad reports the NBA scouts gave him in Borges article as a $25K a year D-leaguer , that the Draft Express Mock Draft - doesn't even have him draft-able in 2016 to go along with the the CBS Big Board who has him #81 and it should set up an interesting draft night for the Hamilton family. Since he doesn't want to take the advice of a guy who might know a thing or 2 about what it takes to stick in the NBA for 13 years.....I'm just hoping whoever those "great people" :confused: are... they did him right ???........as KO put it: " I know he’s got a lot of great people in his ear, and hopefully they’re instructing him in the right way. "

Borges : Kevin Ollie in Daniel Hamilton's corner, though he advised him to return

The draft reports have been all over the place on Hamilton, and I think that has been part of the problem. He is listening to the people who have him possibly going late 1st round and not those who are more negative on his prospects. I would think the Hamilton family would have learned from Jordan Hamilton's experience, although Jordan has managed to stick around in the NBA as an insignificant bench player. The Hamiltons probably think Daniel is better than Jordan and if so, then there has to be a spot for him somewhere in the NBA. The family, unlike us, have probably watched one on one games between the two brothers. I don't know if such reasoning will fly, if in fact that is what it is. But I am surmising that the person in Daniel's ear is the "Hamilton family expert talent evaluator" who also assessed Jordan's prospects before he left Texas.

True about Jordan Hamilton, that would be the hope, but you'd think the family would've learned....and he hit a homerun. He was ranked as a mid teen 1st rounder and then dropped to #26, but at least he was still a 1st rounder and put the guaranteed 3 years and over 3 mil in his pocket. Now that nobody owes J-Ham anything he hasn't gotten more than a few 10 day tryout sniffs, non guaranteed contracts that have been waived and only 25 games in the league in the last 2 years. The biggest thing about getting drafted in the first round besides the money is that it buys you time to make it and more chances, than the dime a dozen guys who are owed zilch.... The hope is that Daniel does the opposite of Jordan and jumps up in the draft, then it'll be party time in the Hamilton house:

Last edited:
Draft net now has him as the first pick of the second round to the Celts. They also have the Celts getting Buddy Hield, Brice Johnson, Diallo from kansas, gbinije from Syracuse and 3 other picks. While it would be great if he had a career in Boston, I hope golden state or the Spurs take a chance on him with the last two picks in the first.

Draft net now has him as the first pick of the second round to the Celts.
Yeah, this is a long thread, but I posted a link to 4 mock draft rankings about 3 posts up, like you said 2 of them have him early second round but then CBS and Draft Express don't even have him being drafted, so it could be a long draft night in the Hamilton house, if he got bad info from the wrong people.

I also noticed former Uconn target Diamond Stone, has been dropping like a bad stock in some of these mocks....thought of as a top 10 a couple of month ago.....CBS Mock draft and ‎NBA Draft.net have him tinkering on the edge of falling into the second round. So there's alot of difference of opinion going around on most of these guys... hopefully just one GM falls in love with D-Ham's versatility and upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT