ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton game thread

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
Hoping we see some progression today. Dayton from reports have a better turn out of fans and beat a decent Aggie team yesterday.

I am looking for Purvis to get in the fold, Boatright was downright tired half way through the game and that will catch up with him today if he has to carry the whole team again. Calhoun and RIP reached out to Purvis so it feels good knowing that what we see is what the experts next to him see and are trying to help him.

I am also looking for Facey to FLY AROUND !!!!!!! and for Brimah to stop being so crazy on the offensive putbacks and offensive rebounds.

Great start........ Purvis !!!!!!!!!!!! Still moves so slow with the ball as if he is taking the Exib's criticism too literally that he was pushing too hard. He needs to crank up and blow by these guys and draw the defense in, needs to be in the middle of this and him in the Exib's. Love the stroke from deep though !

Three bad calls by the refs in Dayton's favor ALREADY. That cant keep going. Missed a travel, Purvis call was incredibly bad.....

Hate to say it but these Refs Fing suck. Those two on Purvis that took him out of the game at the 14mil mark changed the whole game and they were 100% BS.

Defense energy is so Fing low it kills me. Hamilton is finally helping Boat who looks under the weather or just completely drained.

Fouls are more than 50% BS. I have never seen such bad calls. The two on Purvius in the first 6 minutes were 100% BS. I mean they were blatantly bad. We have 15 in total and no lie 10 were BS.

Our defense is the only thing worse than the refs, so many clean looks and layups but some of that is that we cant Dup on anything without calls.

I cant say it enough, this has been unreal watching these calls.

Joe D does not sound impressed with the defense. They may have to learn to play defense the hard way...losing

We have their back court in serious foul trouble. They have our forwards is slightly less serious foul trouble.

How's it looking? It sounds like we are digging in a little. Three blocks by Brimah. Big three by Hamilton. I like what I'm hearing over the last 5 minutes of PT.

Very Solid finish except for Purvis on the steal up 10 at 1:00 left dint pull it back out and hit the bottom of the backboard trying to get a layup......TERRIBLE decision but its over now.

REfs let them play and we dominate the end of the game. Purvis was impressive except for that last bone head play.

I couldn't see it of course, but I'm happy with a little reckless play. Let him make some mistakes. Like young Kobe. I'm loving what I'm hearing the last 8 minutes of the game. Sounds like they picked up the D. Still lots to learn.

Joe D caught Purvis for an interview at the end of the game. Purvis said, there was no reason for this fast team to get beat in transition in the first half. Wasn't a very significant interview, but I liked that Purvis recognized the transition defense was lacking. Apparently RIP had a conversation with Rodney recently. Rip said he had his own early career struggles and to be patient.

RIP and JC pulled him aside recently which should only provide good results. I did forget that he had shoulder surgery so I am giving him more slack for sure, I completely forgot about that.

HIs non-3 jump shooting is really really bad right now. Each shot was a low bullet and not even close to going in. HIs last two FT's were of the same variety......That cant stay the same as the season goes on.

Also, his and one at the end of the game was a VERY CLOSE call, these refs were calling that the other way all game so he got real lucky. They made up for it on the Boatright call where he was making his move to the basket WAY before the guy slid over for the charge.

over all the refs were some of the worst I have seen in a very long time. I remember that being the case all last year as well but when they let them play like they don in MArch we shine........we just have to keep our heads and try to beat the other team and the refs. I will say though it does seem like while the other teams drive with ease into the lane, out guys all are not having the same success. I think it is a lack of energy but maybe someone else can figure out why we just dont seem to get into the lane at all regardless of Zone or M2M.

I just saw highlights but man Purvis looks surefire NBA with his size and quickness. Boat is playing himself into the first round. Hamilton looks really skilled shooting and in transition. He's a great all around player like Boat.

There is some firepower out there!

I think we will make some noise.

Tate, I was watching some NBA tonight and I was thinking Purvis is about the same size as the NBA guards. I also think he has a decent handle. He get's into some trouble and plays a little reckless, but I don't think he 100% reckless. He's found Brimah for a few dunks already this year. In short...I agree. He looks like an NBA player. I think Purvis is going to find what he was looking for when he transferred to UCONN.

The Big Purv reminds me of Russell Westbrook.

He is explosive. The control will come with time.

His handles give him a decent base to work with.

I think he could enter the draft if he continues like this. If he stays one more year he could be a top-5 pick.

We are a handful if only our bigs rebound, defend and stay out of foul trouble.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:
RIP and JC pulled him aside recently which should only provide good results. I did forget that he had shoulder surgery so I am giving him more slack for sure, I completely forgot about that.
Here's the article before the Dayton game. This is first time Purvis looked like he is letting the game come to
him instead of forcing things and not trusting his shot. He still had a few lapses of not understanding time and
situation at the end when he should have been controlling the ball and running clock with the lead, like you
mentioned Dom, but that will come hopefully. I guess Rip pulling him aside may have worked wonders, it's
sounds like he's the latest with JC that is like " WTF did he just say, LOL ! as he mentioned: " and coach
Calhoun, he can pull me to the side any time. You just got to comprehend what he says."

UConn Men's Insider: Rodney Purvis Finds Strong Husky Support System

This post was edited on 11/22 8:03 AM by the Blades

Despite the win there were some concerning stats that raise worries about the upcoming games against Texas and Duke. UConn was outrebounded 38-33, with Boatright tying for the lead in boards with 5, and the assists to turnovers were 8 to 8. The big men really didn't do a great job on the boards. And despite all the talk about good ballhandling, the assists to turnover ratios have sucked monkey balls.

Terrence Samuel - in 3 of 5 games he has been assistless. What happened to him being a pass first point guard? He has 3 assists in a total of 5 games. I was really expecting more from T-Sam starting some offense.

Nolan played 4 minutes, which is some evidence that the coaches have not liked what they have seen in the first few games.

On the bright side, Purvis had 0 turnovers. I did not think it possible he could play this many minutes and not turn the ball over but this is a very encouraging sign!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT