Wingspan: 6'9"
Height (w/ shoes): 6'8"
Height (no shoes): 6'6.25"
Weight: 197
Body fat: 5.95
Hand width: 8.5
Hand length: 9.0

Last edited:
He should get picked by GSW basically if nothing else to be Harrison Barnes replacement as he will most likely leave GSW after this year.

Hope Daniel can get back on track tomorrow for Day 2. Jay Bilas mentioned during ESPN's telecast that he was in the bottom tier of most of the first day drills. He also said that Hamilton must have a productive second day to prove he belongs here. Hoping for the best!

Rough go of it today...

Not good....Bad shooting ... check.... to many TO's..... check....we have all seen this before. .He should have waited until after this combine to make a decision. Whoever talked him into signing, when he a had all this time to let things play out and get honest NBA feedback afterwards....needs their head examined.

Last edited:
* The Charlotte Hornets Meet With Daniel Hamilton of UCONN

Charlotte Hornets’ point guard, Kemba Walker, and shooting guard, Jeremy Lamb, both attended UCONN and that could be leading the team to have intent in Hamilton. It will be interesting to see if the Charlotte Hornets will select Hamilton in the draft and what position he will be drafted. He has loads of potential but might be a few years away from being NBA ready.

I wish Daniel the very best....thanks for he did for UConn.....I wish he had waited...but what do I know....

Reactions: UconNell
Initial thoughts on athletic testing results at 2016 combine

SMH !.....
" Caleb Swanigan and Daniel Hamilton were two other surprise entrants into the draft, and struggled in the athletic portion. Swanigan posted the worst lane agility at 12.80 seconds, and the pair tied for the second-worst standing vertical jump and maximum jump at 26.0 and 29.0 inches, respectively. Both should return to school. "

Blades, that comment "both should return to school" implies that Hamilton can in fact return to school. Isn't it too late for that? I thought he retained an agent. Can he unretain the agent, repay him, tear up the contracts, and say "my combine sucked so I am coming back to school"? Or has that ship sailed?

I was looking at the combine body fat categories and Perry Ellis of Kansas, who killed UConn in the second round, has a body fat of 4.6% which was the lowest I saw of any big man at the combine. I like this stat as it relates to athleticism.

Blades, that comment "both should return to school" implies that Hamilton can in fact return to school. Isn't it too late for that? I thought he retained an agent. Can he unretain the agent, repay him, tear up the contracts, and say "my combine sucked so I am coming back to school"? Or has that ship sailed?
Obviously he's uniformed and that writer hasn't figured that out yet.... some of us could give these guys better facts than they have ..o_O !

On another note-although Hamilton's vertical jump was disappointing to say the least, it should be noted that he snatched over 3 more boards per game than Miller, who can jump to the moon. Hamilton is an unusually good rebounder for his size, and it's obviously not all about his leaping ability. Some guys just find rebounds. Although in the NBA there are guys who have both outrageous athletic ability and the nose for the ball, much like Dennis Rodman in his heyday. And that is now what he is up against.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...o-Return-After-Middling-Combine-Showings-5482

Daniel Hamilton: The only player on this list that has actually hired an agent, Daniel Hamilton struggled to do anything positive for most of the NBA Combine, which almost certainly seals his fate to go undrafted considering where he started off. Hamilton was a triple-double threat at the college level whose poor frame and athleticism was always likely going to be a hindrance to creating efficient offense at the pro level. Those fears were realized in a serious way in Chicago, as he struggled to get past anyone, forced up bad looks from all over the floor, and didn't make up for that with his perimeter shooting or defensive prowess. Hamilton will have some options in mid-level Europe starting this summer already, as there aren't many players his size with that type of versatility, but that might not have been the original plan when he decided to leave school for good very early on in the process. A year in the D-League could be an option as well. It's possible that he simply wasn't a fan of being a college student and prefers to pursue developing elsewhere, but the statements he made when he declared suggest otherwise: "I'm hearing first round, maybe second round," Hamilton said. "Wherever I get drafted, I'll be OK with it.

I don't really understand why he felt compelled to hire an agent before the combine. It seems like he got some bad advice from someone in his camp. He should have listened to what Coach Ollie told him.

I don't really understand why he felt compelled to hire an agent before the combine. It seems like he got some bad advice from someone in his camp. He should have listened to what Coach Ollie told him.
My guess is some agent gave him some walking around coin and his own/his camp/families ego. I don't care if he came back to play at Uconn or transferred to play at UCLA with Issac.....I just wish these kids would understand the basic economics of these decisions and the downside if they end up out of the first round or undrafted. Especially with this new system that is there for them to use and get a better feel to make it less of a gamble. Let's just hope he becomes this year's Renaldo Balkman,....you know one of those 1st round picks that no one saw coming !

Last edited:
Reactions: dbaum_ and UconNell
This is how bad D-Ham tested at the combine with a 29" vertical for comparison.... another Husky Kenton Adeyemi just signed his own pro contract with the Chicago Bears ! A 6'4", 291lb Defensive End, ran a 4.92 forty at his pro day, with 29 reps on the bench. The big fella had a 31' vertical as well.

Chicago Bears ‏@ChicagoBears
#Bears agree to term on 3-year deals following workouts from this weekend: DL Kenton Adeyemi

This is how bad D-Ham tested at the combine with a 29" vertical for comparison.... another Husky Kenton Adeyemi just signed his own pro contract with the Chicago Bears ! A 6'4", 291lb Defensive End, ran a 4.92 forty at his pro day, with 29 reps on the bench. The big fella had a 31' vertical as well.

Chicago Bears ‏@ChicagoBears
#Bears agree to term on 3-year deals following workouts from this weekend: DL Kenton Adeyemi
Blades, it absolutely blows my mind, coming from his family...with hoops history so close to him....that this was the best decision he could make. As many, many have already said, there was absolutely no harm in waiting til after the process...but who am i to say. Really hope he makes it; may take some time but he's got talent so we'll just have to support our boy and hope for the best.

Shaggy I have to imagine reading between the lines that Hamilton was over doing school work and would rather start playing ball professionally regardless where that may be

That what is so alarming to me about the whole decision process. The new rule that has been implemented for prospects to not hire an agent, get feedback from scouts and GM's throughout the combine, and then being able to come to a decision whether or not to return to school is a huge plus. This rule has completely benefited the players as well as the college coaches and universities to know that there is a chance that a certain player can return to school. Daniel knowing that was an option and it would have benefited him greatly in my opinion, but decided to hire an agent before the combine just seemed like a huge mistake. His combine performance was dreadful to say the least and now he has no option to come back to UConn. If he were to not hire an agent and feel out his draft stock after the combine, there is a pretty good chance that he returns to Storrs and play atleast another year of college ball. I know Ollie is shaking his head like the rest of us because we know he is not ready for the NBA yet; the potential is there but he still needs to work on his game. If he were to come back for his junior year he would've been our best player and developed even more into a overall better player. It is a shame to see him go and I hope everything works out for him.

dbaum,

I agree with all of what you said. I think it's what Blades speculated- some agent gave him some needed spending money or possibly his ego and/or family/friend wannabes got in his way and steered him. I wonder if Jordan isn't giving enough money to the parents and also wonder what, if anything, the parents learned from the experience of Jordan. We can only speculate and attempt to provide rational reasons for doing something which appears objectively irrational.

Shaggy I have to imagine reading between the lines that Hamilton was over doing school work and would rather start playing ball professionally regardless where that may be
Good point, we had discussed earlier, in the other D-Ham thread. That's what we were thinking too, but later there was a couple of articles that came out with these 2 mentions:
* I'm told he is not in academic peril. In fact, he's doing online work from home in Los Angeles to finish up the semester in good standing. "
* He loves it there,” Karen Hamilton said. “My husband and I were wondering whether he’ll ever really want to come home.”

So with the feedback that's coming out lately it just makes the whole thing, especially with the new rules, look like one big mistake....but there is always the "it only takes one GM " X-factor, so that is the hope now. And even though D-Ham been quoted many times as "wanting to prove everyone wrong", it looks like he's proving everyone right.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/62767/34/nba-combine-shooting-drills?pg=1

Some data on the shooting drills from the combine.

Looks like Hamilton did really well here amongst the group of small forwards.

It was DHam, Bembry (St. Joe's), Dorian Finney-Smith (Florida), Jake Layman (Maryland), Jarron Blossomgame (Clemson), Justin Jackson (UNC), Nigel Hayes (Wisconsin), Taurean Prince (Baylor), and Troy Williams (Indiana).

Here are DHam's numbers:

Spot up shots behind the three-point line
Spot Up NBA 3: 44% (Ranked 8th out of a possible 9)
Dribble jumpers from 15 feet
Off Dribble 15 Left: 50% (Tied for 2nd out of 9)
Off Dribble 15 Right: 66.7% (Tied for 2nd out of 9)
Off Dribble 15 Top: 100% (Tied for 1st out of 9)​

35 seconds to attempt as many shots as possible from the chosen spot
On the Move College: 72.7% (1st out of 5)
On the Move 15 Feet: 72.7% (2nd out of 9)​

On the other side of things, DHam did really REALLY bad in the agility drills among all participating SFs. Here are the numbers...

The Lane Agility drill is used to test body control, change of direction, and speed as the players work their way around the lane, sprinting forward, backpedaling and moving laterally around cones;
Lane agility: 11.48 seconds (8th out of 9)​

The Shuttle Run drill has the players start in the middle of the lane, move laterally to one side of the lane, then laterally across to the other side of the lane and finally, back to the starting point;
Shuttle run: 3.2 seconds (8th out of 9)​

The ¾ Court Sprint is a timed sprint from the baseline to the ¾ point of the court;
3/4 sprint: 3.4 seconds (9th out of 9)​

The Standing Vertical Leap is exactly that – a no-step jump;
Standing vertical leap: 26 (9th out of 9)​

The Max Vertical Leap, in which the players are allowed a few running steps into their jump.
Max vertical: 29 (9th out of 9)​

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/62748/34/nba-combine-agility-testing?pg=1

From those numbers one can conclude that Hamilton is very below average athletically. And the NBA is something of an athlete's league.

Should UConn's Hamilton Have Declared For NBA Draft? Experts Question Decision

* "He was one of the worst players in the 5-on-5 session and one of the worst athletes in testing," wrote draft analyst Sam Vecenie of CBSSports.com.
* "[Hamilton] struggled to do anything positive for most of the NBA Combine," wrote Jonathan Givony for Draftexpress.com. "Which almost certainly sealed his fate to go undrafted considering where he started off."
* At the combine, an unnamed NBA scout told Bleacher Report's C.J. Moore, "I've seen him play a bunch, and I really just don't understand what the fascination is."

*** However, there are some who are high on him. An NBA executive, requesting anonymity, told The Courant last week, "he'll definitely be drafted. It could be in the middle of the first round, to early in the second round, depending on who you talk to. There's a wide range [of opinions] on him. When you draft a player like him, you're drafting on potential."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT