ADVERTISEMENT

columbia thread

Best the offense has looked. Facey is lost guarding a guy who can shoot he has given up 3 or 4 open 3's by not closing out.

Hamilton looks terrible tonight too. Makes some great plays and some freshman ones. I wish Nolan could dunk. Best ball movement of the year. German kid is a stud

Hey guys I am at the game sipping a vodka tonic in a suite. Good seats. Looks like Purvis is helping the team tonight! Has hit a few big 3s

7 of 8 with 18 points and no dumb plays that o can remember. This team could be dangerous come march if they can shoot. Will really open up the middle. Hamilton is the best guy against the zone in awhile

I didn't watch Texas game but by far best game of year. Really no major complaints good minutes from omar

Hamilton did some bonehead stuff tonight, but he really adds a nice dimension against the zone. He throws that short lob very well.

Great game by Purvis. VERY uplifting and our first quality win of the year.

Nolan is jut the worst Jr I have ever seen. Bad in all phases, needs to not play any more this year.

Last 10 minutes were the best of the year. I know it's an ivy league team, but they were down 1 possession with 10 minutes to play against Kentucky. Encouraging.

Best 7-8 minutes they played all year at the end...hitting 3 pt's at an amazing rate by taking open shots
with your feet set will do that...also helps when the team moves the ball better than they have all year...
especially vs. that zone. Hamilton really made up for the bad game he was having by making plays out
of the middle of it..then he had confidence and drilled those 3's.

They seemed to find some tempo on offense but passing and hitting open shots changed a close game.....
What they did on O to D numbers were staggering from 3....COLMB (8-25...32%) Uconn (9-16 56%)....But what a turn
around by Purvis. no boneheaded forces. 2 asst/ 0 TO's...7-8 FG's 4-5 from 3....maybe he reads the internet, LOL!

This post was edited on 12/22 10:41 PM by the Blades

When you consider Kentucky beat Columbia by only 10 it's a positive step, seeing UConn pull away and beat them by 15 at the end. Purvis ended up with 21 points and shot the ball well, but he had only 2 assists and 0 boards. It was clearly his best game of the year, and to me his 3 point stroke looks pretty good. Now if we can get him to handle the ball and pass the ball better, and make better decision, he will be on his way.

I think all Purvis (more below) has to do is play within himself, limit his forced plays that cause TO's and let the game
come to him. If his handle is causing TO's... limit going to places with the ball, that amplify that. Take a quick look
when you receive a pass, if there's nothing there.. swing it back around.

Same with Hamilton, calm down and stop rushing things that aren't there. If you work the ball to each other in the
half court it forces the opponent to work harder on D and good shots open up. Tim Welch( former PC coach) was saying
before the game, that Uconn's biggest problem this year, is they don't know the difference between a good shot when
it's wide open or a bad one. They've been forcing way to many off balance ones or ill-timed rushed shots.

Hopefully the last 7-8 minutes of last night helps to turn a light-bulb on in their heads. And I'd hope to think the 3 pt%
was the result of making the extra pass and it's not a fluke. I was also impressed that the zone D, which has been a
problem for Uconn in recent years, was the thing that they attacked in precision fashion to extended the lead.
Here's a follow up story from the NHR with some interesting notes:
UConn pulls away late to tame Columbia Rodney Purvis had heard the chatter, on the Internet message boards and elsewhere. "I try not to read things, but I see
things, what people are saying," Purvis said. "I'm kinda tired of it, you know, so I had to take it upon myself to step it up.
I'm gonna step it up 'til I can't step it up anymore."

Also KO really lit into Hamilton during a timeout.

"He just basically said that he didn't want to go 'Crenshaw' on me," Hamilton reported, as he struggled through a tough
night for the first 32 minutes on Monday. "I got on him pretty hard in one timeout," said Ollie. "It was just on him to respond.
That's one of the layers of mental toughness, accepting call-outs from your coach and your teammates. Hamilton responded
by turning what looked like it might be a grisly stat line into an all-around effective night. He finished with 11 points, five
rebounds and four assists - most of them on his trademark lobs to Amida Brimah for dunks over the final minutes.

Maybe Boat will finally get some help..also pretty solid game from T-Sam too.
This post was edited on 12/23 7:47 AM by the Blades

It sounds like Borges was referring to some of the posts on this board getting on Purvis, like Blades' posts criticizing his basketball IQ. All of those posts were honest and accurate, as far as I can see. It is up to Purvis to go out there and play up to his hype, and if he needs the critical posts of Blades to fire him up, then all I can say is keep posting Blades, LOL.

You give me to much credit KSTW, I'm an amateur compared to the amount/volume of critiquing he received on
TOS ......but like you said if he's getting pissed off to play better and it's working...Hooray for Uconn Basketball !

This post was edited on 12/23 11:00 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT