ADVERTISEMENT

Cincy Pres. positioning to get out of the AAC

I don't blame him. UC has a great shot and I would not be surprised if they got in.

Hartford Courant: UConn Mum On Power Five, But Don't Confuse That With Inaction
"If a Big 12 power broker grows irate that any realignment information became public — regardless of how it was obtained — it's true it could hurt Cincinnati. Generally speaking, however, I would submit the public release of Cincinnati's moves to get into the Big 12 matter much less than other factors."

"What are their academics?" ( OU's Prez) Boren asked The Oklahoman. "What's their research base? How well do they fit our academic profile? How well do they fit our fan base profile? How many dollars in their market do they bring to the table? We're looking at all that. In terms of the network and those dollars, we're looking with our TV consultants to tell us."

Also another view from a Big 12 writer who interestingly enough says that Uconn and Cincy could be the 2 schools that bring stability to the Big 12
tweeted by Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky Feb 16
"Good stuff - makes sense all around #UConn "

Full read-TCU board * Big 12 Expansion: Politics, Polls and Petty fans

" ESPN and the University of Texas, for the first time ever, are open to the idea of rolling The Longhorn Network into some version of a Big 12 Network. This will allow all 3rd Tier rights to be tied together to create a Big 12 Network run by both ESPN and FOX. There’s a lot that has to happen in terms of dealing with Fox, which holds all 3rd Tier rights in Big 12 aside from Texas and Kansas. The other issue that will make all Big 12 fans feel like it’s 2007 again is that Texas will get the first $15 million off the top in order to receive the same amount currently received from The Longhorn Network. "

" The next paragraph is only true if the first paragraph comes to fruition. The two top targets for expansion with a network are different than the top two targets without a network. Suddenly Cincinnati who has been a viable option becomes a top target. While they offer quality sports they also offer the state of Ohio. But the top target for conference expansion if a network is in play is the University of Connecticut. While UCONN’s women’s basketball program makes Alabama football look like Kansas, more importantly they bring the entire media market of New York City. The Big 12 foot print would literally double with the addition of UC and UCONN. More eyeballs, more money, stronger conference. "

"A Big 12 Network extends media contracts into the future, which bring stability. The addition of two large markets produces a network that is economically viable. And this being the Big 12, I would assume UC and UCONN would be brought in at an even slower pace economically than TCU and West Virginia. What does this do for the conference short term? It is not a home run. Unless LSU and Arkansas want to join the Big 12 there are no home runs. In the short term it addresses the perceived disadvantage of not having a conference championship game, which the CFP Committee has deemed critical. I don’t agree that it’s critical, but they do and that is all that matters. In the short term it also calms the waters and creates a united front in the most viable way possible, a Big 12 Network."

Last edited:
Reflective Warde Manuel Has No Regrets, Proud Of Time At UConn

While the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big Ten have passed it by, UConn's Power Five hope now rests with the Big 12. Candidates such as Cincinnati have openly and publicly campaigned for an invitation.

Manuel said last month that he will advocate for UConn in any way he can as he moves into a Power Five conference. But he insists UConn doesn't need much help.

"People are very aware of what we do and who we are," Manuel said. "Maybe the next AD will stand up on the roof of Gampel and go on a hunger strike until we get into another league. I have no idea. I'm telling you, I did it the way I thought was the best way for us to do it. I don't think publicly standing up and shouting and shouting about what we're doing is the way to do it. It wouldn't move me. There's no application you can put in. If anybody wants to find an application — I've said that before — feel free to send it to the next AD here and I'm sure he or she will fill it out. I'm sure the president will fill it out. But that's not the way it works. And that's not the way I operate. Believe me, I know what I've done and what I've tried to do. I don't feel the need to talk about it publicly. Let others do that. The new AD can feel free to do it however he or she would like to do it."

Manuel said last week what UConn administrators have said privately: Power Five conferences want to see a demonstrated commitment to athletics, whether through fundraising or support from fans and administration. Success in football — something that held UConn back in the past — is a priority for many Power Five schools, but UConn is coming off a bowl appearance and Manuel said Diaco has the program on an upward trajectory.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Cb-9-bmW8AEhVHS.jpg:large

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT