ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mack to Louisville

andersonfro

Aug 16, 2006
He just won the BE after posting a 29-6 record (17-3 in conf). So this guy is leaving the Big East for a Louisville program that is going to get body slammed by the ncaa.

Point being, we shouldn't have to entertain further Uconn to BE discussion. P5 or live on the brand. If Uconn can carry it's weight the American to the NBE is a lateral move.

Bonus thought: Steve Pikiel must be pooping himself at the thought of Rutgers never landing a 4 start + recruit again.

Reactions: the Blades
So this guy is leaving the Big East for a Louisville program that is going to get body slammed by the ncaa..

Louisville gave him $28 million reasons to do so.

Meanwhile Pitt "settled" for Jeff Capel, who was fired from his previous job at Oklahoma.

It turns out that Hurley for $2.75 million may have actually been a "value" signing by UConn

I think we all realize the difference in money between the NBE and the AAC is negligible, especially compared to P5 payouts. However, if UConn fails to get into a P5 conference (again), the NBE is certainly more attractive from a basketball standpoint with regards to geography, rivalries, recruiting, and perception.

I live in San Diego. I happened to listen to a SDSU pre-game show, and when they did their update around the country, they covered what they called the “power 6 basketball conferences”, which they defined as the P5 plus the BE. No mention of the AAC.

Meanwhile Pitt "settled" for Jeff Capel, who was fired from his previous job at Oklahoma.

It turns out that Hurley for $2.75 million may have actually been a "value" signing by UConn

Right... Pitt "settled" for the guy recently rumored to be the chosen one to take over for Coach K. UConn was fortunate to get Hurley, but take away his connection to New England and past at UConn it is likely the next coach would be along the lines of Nate Oats, Micah Shrewsberry, Schmidtt or Cluess.

Right... Pitt "settled" for the guy recently rumored to be the chosen one to take over for Coach K. UConn was fortunate to get Hurley, but take away his connection to New England and past at UConn it is likely the next coach would be along the lines of Nate Oats, Micah Shrewsberry, Schmidtt or Cluess.

I think kstw put "settled" in quotes only because Capel wasn't Pitts reported 1st choice.

I think it's an interesting hire because he's coming from a situation where theyve recruited better than any other program, but at the same time capel's end at Oklahoma was similar to Ollie's at Uconn (vomit) & before that he did a bunch of diddly squat at vcu. I'd be hopeful but definitely not excited about that guy as my coach.

I don't understand the comment about Uconn being fortunate to get it's target because of x, y, z...that program has earned it's place to select it's head coach more than any other program in the country.

I don't understand the comment about Uconn being fortunate to get it's target because of x, y, z...that program has earned it's place to select it's head coach more than any other program in the country.

No disrespect intended to the program, it is an attractive job. However the money situation based on conference affiliation is troubling for UConn. If Hurley went for the money at Pitt, who would be next up for them? Would not have been Mack, etc. Georgia reportedly paid 3M for Crean means UConn got a sweet deal for Hurley.

Speaking of salaries... saw these tweets:

I think kstw put "settled" in quotes only because Capel wasn't Pitts reported 1st choice..

Correct! Pitt offered Hurley more than UConn did. Capel was what you would call “sloppy seconds”, K successor or not, AFTER Hurley spurned Pitt for UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT