ADVERTISEMENT

Carlton Weight . . . Progress/Regress

Crank2

Feb 19, 2020
Hurley has made mention that JCarlton is going to lean up a bit in the offseason. I've seen various comments that he looked "quicker" in his highlights last year. Meh. Maybe a tad. Here are his highlights from last season . . .. He definitely looks skinnier. His vertical? Same as this year. Does not dunk unless he is unmolested and has a 1 step start at the rim.

So what's up with Josh. Let's start with this. The official story is that Josh put on "25 pounds of muscle in the offseason." Um. No. He did not. Not unless he was on a serious anabolic steroid regimen. If you could put on 25 pounds of muscle in a 6 month span, then an 18 year old 140 pound weakling could easily put on 100 pounds of muscle in a matter of a few years and be Arnold at 240 by the time he was 22. Not happening.

When I was lifting, religiously, I considered a 1 pound per month gain to be tremendous gain. That was not easy.

And if you look at Josh from last year to this, he does not look more muscular, does he?

Not calling out Sal by any means, but whatever was done with Josh did not work. My guess is that he put on 5-8 pounds of muscle in the offseason, and 17-20 pounds of fat. How much slower would that make him? Not enough to explain his drop in production, that's for sure, but maybe it explains some of it.

Per 40 his shot % is down 10%, his rebounds are up slightly, his assists are up a half, down 1 block per game, 1 more TO per 40, and down 13% on his free throws. Up 1.2 TOs per game, too.

So the fewer blocks and lower FG% might be explained by extra mass. But what about the TOs and the Free Throw drop?

If you want to know what's up with Josh, ask why his FT% dropped dramatically and his TOs went up significantly in 7 months. Figure out that answer, and that's what's going on with Josh.

That written, I've never been a fan of bulking for the sake of bulking. Fat is generally useless in sports. Take 50 pounds of fat and put it on a wheely cart. Then push it. It pushes ridiculously easily. Point is, fat makes you slower and does not help you stay planted. Muscle does. While it's true that 80 extra pounds of fat on a Sumo Wrestler will add mass that needs to be slowed, you have to accelerate that mass first, and you end up with less acceleration, and, given that F=ma, and En(k)=1/2v2m, being fatter definitely does not make you a better basketball player, and likely is useless in sports.

Josh's issue - 20% physical, 80% mental. That's my guess. Unless fatter arms are making him miss free throws.

He was totally quicker last year, it’s more physical than mental in my opinion. But as I mentioned elsewhere he has a front runner mentality and needs to have good things happen to stay with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT