ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Diaco Press Conference: 10/13

South Florida this week, kudos to the Florida guys, 11 on the team... That's fun and exciting for them.

USF - they look like a very strong team, especially Saturday against Syracuse. The score wasn't close and the game was less close.

Versatile tight ends give defense all sorts of problems. Always part of our plan to keep those guys involved.

Offensive line developing, getting better and better. I didn't see any assignment errors, that improved.

Some of the sacks have been attributed to tight ends, running backs and the quarterback. And maybe even the coaches, maybe they didn't put the protection together with the right formations.

I was pleased to watch those next-man in lineman Hashemi, Rutherford, Oak. They had some real nice plays against their top defensive line.

On Arkeel Newsome: he's an explosive player, he's an electric player, he's doing a really nice job.

Excellent acceleration and contact speed. Not a lot of people can do that.

The guys that are (contact) accelerator really flash. And he's strong. He might be a little bit on the shorter side, but he's packed in there. His trajectory is on the rise, school is on the rise for him.

Ron is a strong runner and he's back to running the ball the way that he should be. We'll just continue with those two. The fact of the matter is the more you put on any particular young player, you run the risk of decelerating their game.

On Shirreffs: The thing about Bryant is that when you correct something, it really doesn't persist.

One week there were questions about it, did he pull his eyes too fast... in some instances he did. We went out and coached... the next week it didn't persist.

You move forward to this week and he's keeping his eyes where it should be.

Importance of regional rivalries: All I can say on that we can't speak about contracts that aren't executed.

I will say, like I've said in the past, to play regional teams is awesome. As many times as we can play a Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia, Rutgers, Penn State.

Not sure if he mentioned UMass, but I wouldn't read too too much into that.

Jhavon Williams "going to the next level"

The defensive backs, on the perimeter, I believe that Jhavon worked hard through winter, spring, summer and fall camp and put himself in position to have a strong season.

I fell like Jamar Summers is a very talented player... I would like to see a higher level of maturity and preparation. But the fact of the matter is you forget that he's a freshman, and he's just a young guy. He's so talented that you expect a higher level of awareness, but he's just not there. He's improving, he's had better weeks in preparation.

I stil feel like Javon Hadley, when you look at the total picutre, it's spectacular the work he has done. I get no negative conversations from anyone, in academics, in S&C, in the community, so we've been so impressed with him growing up and working to really move forward to achieving the personal goals that he has. There's probably not a more impoved player and person in the last year and a half or so.

John Green, improving, WR moved to DB, he's new to the position.

Brice: was a tailback, he's going to be an excellent corner. You can see a little swagger and confidence from special teams. Most of it is mindset, belief, confidence.

Walk-on Nick Vitale: Bleed Blue guy, Connecticut guy, tough hard-nosed young man. Constantly straining. He's gotta pay his own way, his family fights the fight. He's just a great teammate. I love being on the team with Nick. I have every confidence with hiim in there at corner and punt returner. He's probably going to play well.

Growth in special teams; Improving, the coverage teams getting better. Need to do a better job of kicking the ball, kicking off.

I've been pleased with Justin, PAT field goal team and corrections and improvement there. Return game is on the come. So I've been pleased with those guys.

Reactions: the Blades
On pre-snap penalties: I'm gonna say (it's) sloppy. I'm sure each guy has an explanation but they all stink.

Reactions: the Blades
Is the team where you thought they'd be after 6 games: Yes! Particularly the seniors, you start off with good strong improvement, and then you don't win a few times, but there's still improvement.

You tell them, there's a lot of wins, for four quarters.

For those seniors to not lose heart. I'm so pleased with where the team is. I'm pleased with the leadership from seniors and how they've been a strong backbone for younger guys to follow.

On USF: I was impressed with so many things. They have a dynamic rushing attack. It’s awesome. It’s basically triple option.

Was very impressed with their rushing attack.

And then on defense they had some really playmakers. All 4 defensive line guys are a force. Two 300-pounders inside that are quick and strong. Two defensive ends that are quick-twitch.

Best thing about games like that for us. We like to play the players that prepared.

You get games like that and Chris Lee, Rutherford, Oak, Vontae Diggs got in on a ton of plays. That is very, very positive for the team.

To get James Atkins and Sheridan Lawley plays in the game, that's really good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT