ADVERTISEMENT

Boat update

He looked good scoring but the NBA "speed" was clearly getting to him. That will be his issue, NBA speed and size breaks people. I for one will beat on Boat making it, heart and mind are too strong.

I liked the deal he signed....if the Nets keep him after the 1st....and bring him to camp he will be guaranteed $75,000.... whether he makes the roster or not... or even if
they send him to the D-league......so it's about triple the D's max salary....If they decide they don't want to keep him it still gives him plenty of time for his agent to get him signed
elsewhere but especially a contract in Europe which "Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000...Not only is there a big discrepancy between the salaries, but the money made in Europe is typically tax free. "

To often players stick around for NBA camps, get cut way to late to catch on in Europe ... when many of those rosters are already filled..... so they are stuck playing for chump change
( around $12,000 to $25,000) in the D. But the main thing is it'll give Boat some options, one way or another even if the Nets are stacked at PG...so I'm pulling for whatever works out the best financially for him and his family.

article: NBA D-League vs. European Basketball:

Last edited:
Boat has a shot to play this year.......I've seen Larkin play for the MAvs and Boat is just flat out better.

Agree Dom. Hit a game winner the other day as well. He is having a phenomenal summer league. Better than Bazz's from last year I believe. He will be a backup point on that team or another real quick and carve out a KO or better career

I turned his game on last night...it sounds as though he got hurt and had to leave the game after 7 minutes....he had 7 pts (2-2 on 3pt's) but didn't
come back, haven't seen an update

Also: Boatright proving he belongs with Nets

Last edited:
I turned his game on last night...it sounds as though he got hurt and had to leave the game after 7 minutes....he had 7 pts (2-2 on 3pt's) but didn't come back, haven't seen an update

Here's the injury update and it's sounds like the Nets will keep him around for their camp... at the least....so his $75 K guarantee will kick in:

Boatright Done In By Neck Injury, Will Miss Rest Of NBA Summer League

" But it appears he made enough of an impression, as Head Coach Lionel Hollins also said in an interview on NBA-TV that Boatright is a legitimate candidate to contend for a job in training camp." "[Boatright] is a candidate. No question about it. He is a candidate," Hollins told NBA-TV. "I don't know who else we'll bring to camp. It's competition and you have to earn it. He's played well in summer league and earned the right to come back in training camp."

More on and from Boat himself:

" Brooklyn has a need at the position after Deron Williams agreed to a buyout two weeks ago so he could sign with the Mavericks, and the Nets shipped Steve Blake to the Pistons less than a month after acquiring him. Jarrett Jack and Shane Larkin head a depth chart that Boatright, who inked a two-year, $1.4 million minimum deal with $75,000 guaranteed if he's on the roster Aug. 1 -- is hopeful of joining. "

"I haven't gotten a 'for sure,' but they have been making the moves to tell you that I am here," Boatright said in Las Vegas last week. "But I am going to continue to work, and continue forward and do what I've got to do until I get that guarantee."

Newsday- Nets' Boatright trying to prove he belongs

I'll be honest, I'm surprised Boat is hanging in there. I was a little down on him after last year. Thought he was kinda 1-dimensional as an offensive player and undersized to play NBA defense. Anyways, I hope me makes the team and sticks in the NBA a long time.

I'll be honest, I'm surprised Boat is hanging in there. I was a little down on him after last year. Thought he was kinda 1-dimensional as an offensive player and undersized to play NBA defense. Anyways, I hope me makes the team and sticks in the NBA a long time.

+1...I'm just hoping they keep him past a minimum of August 1st ...that's when the $75K kicks in plus the $12-25K he would make in the D( together similar $ as Europe).... then he can afford to chase his dream making the team or even waiting for a call up from the D if they send him down to work on his other dimensions....

Last edited:
Larkin is a good player, saw him a lot with the Mavs. He is a real good prospect if you ask me. Boat is a VERY similar player if you ask me.

Still see him on the official roster after Aug 1st, so does his partial contract kick in ? They still have quite a few cuts to make with 21 players and anything can happen with roster moves but I guess... so far so good:
Roster | Brooklyn Nets - NBA.com

Boat is way better than Larkin.... I think he will be the backup or at worst 3rd guard on that team.

That is great news blades... He is makin that bonus for sure

Ozzie, I've seen Larkin play and he can play. Boat has the edge on confidence and edge but Larkin will be hard to beat out.

I seen him play too Dom... Good player but he does not have the skill set Boat has and obviously much less athleticism. He is slightly taller than Boat which is easier but I just feel and what I seen from them that Boat is a better basketball player but yea Larkin is not a slouch by any means he can play no doubt!

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Larkin shoots the ball better than Boat and as Blades has pointed out NBA is now a shooter's league. However Boat is a lot better athletically for sure.

Not really sure where you guys are getting that Boat is much better athlete than Larkin, Larkin has terrific end to end speed, has a great first step, and he posted a higher vertical than Boat did at their respective combines. He hasn't done much thru 2 years(injured for a good deal of the first year, stuck in a terrible offensive system for his strenghts in his 2nd), but Larkin was a better player when they were both sophomores in the 2012-2013 season. Hopefully Boat outperforms him in training camp so that the Nets keep him.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
I've never seen Larkin play, so I have no opinion on him, but they do seem close to carbon copy's size and numbers wise ..... both max out at 11'1.5" ..max vert. reach because Boat has a higher reach and better wingspan.

Ryan Boatright
Shane Larkin

Just checked on Boat....not getting much of a look from the NETs so far in the pre-season, I would guess he's targeted for the D-League if something doesn't change:
Nets play the Celtics . Wednesday on CSNE and YES... hope he gets some PT

Last edited:
Roster crunch. It was never Larkin vs Boat to begin with either. Boat was going against Sloan for the last roster spot. Sloan had a guaranteed contract so they kept him and waived Boat otherwise they would have taken a cap hit for waiving Sloan. Came down to money and they probably wanted someone with some experience.

Boat will get an opportunity at some point. He just needs to keep working.

That's just about it, experience and money. The NETS by cutting him make the $1.4 million deal (with only $75,000 guaranteed) go away. But at least he grabbed about triple the D-league salary first......for sticking around.... if it ends up to late for him to catch on with a higher paying Euro gig.

found this too:
Ryan Boatright Rumors:

The Suns, Hornets and Blazers are interested in Ryan Boatright, whom the Nets waived Tuesday, and it’s possible that Brooklyn circles back to him later this season, reports Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net. The undrafted point guard from Connecticut performed well during limited preseason time, averaging 4.2 points, 3.8 assists and 1.0 turnover in 13.9 minutes per game, but Donald Sloan outplayed him for the third point guard job on the Nets. Any NBA team could claim Boatright off waivers, so long as the team is willing to assume responsibility for his $75K partial guarantee. Teams could opt to see if he clears waivers if they want him on a non-guaranteed contract.

Sloan had significant D League experience, and is a much bigger body than Boat. Boat needs some experience in one of those other leagues (D or Europe), but I would think some teams would be intrigued by his athleticism.

As far as the Hornets- if he and Kemba and Lamb were all on the same roster wouldn't that be something? Then all we would need to happen is for Lin to get traded to Orlando for Napier to have an all-UConn backcourt. However, Lin has been playing GREAT for the Hornets, and has been their second best guard after Kemba.

Reunited with Drummond!!!!!!

On another note Boat's former partner in crime Napier had a great game last night for Magic- 15 points 8 assists and 3 steals, totally outplaying CJ Watson in the race for backup point guard behind Payton. Gotta pull for Bazz!!!!!

Note- the article Blades linked says Boat led the Big East in scoring last year. Where the hell have journalistic standards gone??????? WTF?????

Last edited:
BIG EAST....SMH !!! Speaking of Bazz there was a report on some other very good news he had a few days ago:

* Orlando Magic plan to exercise their third-year option on Napier
"After using the last several weeks to evaluate point guard Shabazz Napier, the Orlando Magic are planning to exercise their third-year option on him for the 2016-17 season.
This preseason, Napier has averaged 10.2 points, 2.2 assists and 1.2 turnovers in 17.0 minutes per game. Napier also has made 60.0 percent of his 3-point attempts.
Napier, the 24th pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, will earn $1.35 million during the 2016-17 season after his option is exercised."

Reunited with Drummond!!!!!!

On another note Boat's former partner in crime Napier had a great game last night for Magic- 15 points 8 assists and 3 steals, totally outplaying CJ Watson in the race for backup point guard behind Payton. Gotta pull for Bazz!!!!!

And here are some pre-season highlights mixed in:

I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that Napier will have a long NBA career. He is highly skilled and has a very high basketball IQ and you can see both of those qualities in those highlights. His skills and IQ overcome his lack of size and athletic ability. Boatright isn't as skilled nor does he have a high IQ like Bazz. What Boat has is athleticism and guts.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT