ADVERTISEMENT

boat needs to start thinking ball hogging less

northdakotahusky

Nov 27, 2010
I love the way boat has played this year. Especially against Duke. Boat has really ball hogged thus far. To me, his selfishness has been a positive. We need boat to be the best player on the court. He showed that against Duke, but the rest of the team failed. After tonight's breakout game I think Boat needs to start sharing some more. And the coaches need to adding some more offense.

This post was edited on 12/22 10:01 PM by northdakotahusky

I think I agree. We needed him to hold the ball early and if this team keeps getting better you are spot on, he can start giving the ball up. If Purvis stays hot,.......man.

Boat's final stat line 20 points, 8 assists, 5 boards, 3 TOs, 6-12 FGs, 6-6 FTs, sorry but those are the stats of a star point guard.

That wasnt the point of the post. We were saying that this team is starting to show they can be trusted to take shots and make a few so he doesnt have to dominate the ball so much.

I don't think I made my point very well. Boat played great tonight. I think Boat has played great every night.

This thread is not about stats. Ignore tonight's stats. In fact, ignore all the stats in all the games. My statements are based on what I have seen. I think boat has spent the first quarter of the season working on his own game. Doing this has involved some selfish play...this is not a cut. It's a necessity. I suspect the coaching staff has encouraged some selfish play. Boat needed to work on his individual game...as well as running the team. The team needs it. The team needs a better Boat than the one that ended the season last year. The team needs a better Boat than the one that started the season this year. When called upon our team will need Boat to be able to absolutely dominate the ball. So Boat has been working on those skills.

At this point I think those skills are pretty decent. I thought the Duke game was evidence of this. I thought Boat was arguably the best player on the floor against a very solid team. I think it's time for Boat to start concentrating on the rest of the team a little more. The sudden breakout in shooting suggests the rest of the team may be ready.

So again, ignore the stats. I think Boat has been playing great all season. But I do think he's been developing his own game as much as he's been developing the team (probably more). I think it's time to start emphasizing the team a little more.

Hopefully that makes sense. In reality, it's probably just a long winded way of saying I think the team is getting better.

This post was edited on 12/22 11:40 PM by northdakotahusky

I think that euro-step move is new for Boat. At least he does it with a lot more regularity. It's a great move. For those who do it well it seems to be un-defend-able. It's either a bucket or a foul. The foul seems to be more likely.

If tonight's Purvis is what we get from here on out we are a tourney team. Omar looks healthy, Facey had a step back game and Brimah was a LITTLE better than he was against Duke. Nolan was worse.

Boat wont have to be the only guy if that all keeps up.

I always think of shooting open stand-still threes as one of the easier skills in basketball. Purvis, Hamilton and Calhoun should be able to improve at that skill by the end of the year. I like the development of the team thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT