ADVERTISEMENT

Big recruiting day...visits

Thanks for the update....Vann will have to sit a year correct ?..coming from Maine, so he's essentially a 2017 ...while obviously Taurean Thompson and Christian Vital are still in prep, so they'd be ready to go this fall.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
I understand Louisville has two open guard positions and might offer Vital a starting job, but aren't they going to get further penalties from the NCAA like being docked scholarships etc.? Don't you have to think about these things if you are a recruit?

Wow he changes his mind quicker than some change draws :D

Thanks TCF!

Oh man. Hope Ham D values the long relationship he has with KO over Duke/Coach K

Diallo's stock continues to sky rocket which will make it that much tougher to fend us the likes of Duke and UK...if KO can beat the powerhouses in this recruiting battle, it will be his biggest recruiting win yet...can't say I'm as confident as I once was about him becoming a Husky

How is it kind of a jump when the kid is playing for Coach K's nephew? It doesn't sound good when Duke is that strong in the hunt. It's one thing when Duke has mild interest in a kid but when they get strong and aggressive and blow hot like Duke is right now, they rarely lose the recruit. Unfortunately, Diallo has just gotten too good and is no longer UTR. The game has changed.

How is it kind of a jump when the kid is playing for Coach K's nephew? It doesn't sound good when Duke is that strong in the hunt. It's one thing when Duke has mild interest in a kid but when they get strong and aggressive and blow hot like Duke is right now, they rarely lose the recruit. Unfortunately, Diallo has just gotten too good and is no longer UTR. The game has changed.

Hope the long recruiting history by ollie can trump coach K.

Ozzie, are you still hearing good things about Diallo and UCONN or have things started to turn?

I hate Duke! While I'm at it I hate Kentucky too! Hopefully this young man will see the light and recognize that UCONN wins championships by way of team chemistry, superior coaching and player development while effectively preparing their student athletes to succeed in the NBA.

Nothing has turned!!

It is called recruiting. Other schools are allowed to recruit whom they want when they want. Just like we are.

But best of luck to the others in this one

Reactions: UConnFamily
Nothing has turned!!

It is called recruiting. Other schools are allowed to recruit whom they want when they want. Just like we are.

That is what we all like to hear. I agree that it is very fluid...just hadn't heard any updates in a while on the UCONN end. Thanks for keeping us plugged in.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Nothing has turned!!

That would be a power/boss move if Ollie and co are able to seal the deal vs the likes of Duke/UK

Really like the roster the staff is putting together for the future

Khalid,

If you were on the ledge after the Duke offer then I hope we don't lose you after UK comes through with their inevitable offer. We'll have big time competition for sure but the strong foundation has been laid. Time for KO to roll up his sleeves and rumble with the big boys on this one

Vital said today that Louisville is his "ideal" school. Prolly since they need guards.

It was a Louisville slanted site that said it but still...

Lol some of these kids I tell you.... But let's see

Last edited:
Oz, two questions:

1)If we miss on Vital/Thompson (still too early to tell)... Is staff in contact with any grad transfers?

Also, why did they cancel Vann's trip?

Thanks for all your insights on here.

Uk offered ham and duke offered waters. Just passing on. Heard waters and uconn was never really developed

Louisville graduated two starting guards and UConn is set for starting guards next year and needs a 3rd guard so it shouldn't be rocket science that a kid like Vital will go where he can start vs. where he will be a 3rd guard off the bench. What did anyone not understand about that? It's what you can offer a kid on playing time and role. If you guys think somehow UConn being on his shirt is more powerful than a starting position then you smoking too much weed or something.

For Thompson though I think his shot at being a starter might be a lot better.......

I really don't think HS kids get the whole PT concept. If you don't think you'll get enough burn as a freshman at a blue blood school, what makes you think playing on a worse team will get you to the NBA any faster?

I'd rather play low quantity, high quality minutes on a good team than volume minutes of inefficient ball on a bad team.

Well I am not sure that reasoning applies to Vital because he isn't a high school player or a dope, and Louisville isn't a bad team. But right now 247 Sports Crystal Ball sees Louisville as a 58% to 25% chance winner over UConn in the Vital sweepstakes and it's likely for the reasons I already mentioned:

http://247sports.com/Player/Christian-Vital-38710

Vital said today that Louisville is his "ideal" school. Prolly since they need guards.

It was a Louisville slanted site that said it but still...

Lol some of these kids I tell you.... But let's see
Saw that, those quotes actually came directly from Jere Quinn, his coach.

I don't follow Louisville at all but don't they have Quentin Snider who started almost all year (24 starts) and Donovan Mitchell, who also started 5 games and contributed a ton? If we lose Purvis, hopefully not, that's way more established (didn't say talented bc I don't watch them and of course I love Jalen) than Jalen and an incoming frosh.

I could b totally wrong here, just not sure what they have back.

Last edited:
Louisville started Lee and Lewis who were both grad transfers at guard. Snider and Mitchell came off the bench.

I don't follow Louisville at all but don't they have Quentin Snider who started almost all year (24 starts) and Donovan Mitchell, who also started 5 games and contributed a ton? If we lose Purvis, hopefully not, that's way more established (didn't say talented bc I don't watch them and of course I love Jalen) than Jalen and an incoming frosh. I could b totally wrong here, just not sure what they have back.

Correct about Snider and Mitchell ( Jalen's team mate at Brewster) who played the 3rd and 5th most minutes last year...having a good shot as starters, also five star 6-7 wing V.J. King should slide into the 6-6 Lee's slot at small forward.

While Snider is a probable starter at guard for Lousiville, one would think that Vital would get a look at the other spot as he is a far better 3 point shooter than Mitchell is. UConn, on the other hand, will not have a competition for the starting guards. It will be Gilbert and Adams.

While Snider is a probable starter at guard for Lousiville, one would think that Vital would get a look at the other spot as he is a far better 3 point shooter than Mitchell is. ............UConn, on the other hand, will not have a competition for the starting guards. It will be Gilbert and Adams.
What about Purvis ???

Also I think your way over rating Vital who isn't even a top 150, thinking he can have a shot at starting over Mitchell .....who was a 4 star and 31st overall in the country, especially since he's already played almost 20 minutes a game with Lewis( now gone) in front of him ... CV has bench player written all over him for year one at least.....no matter where he goes. It probably just comes down to playing with his friends( Enoch, etc.) is the AAC or coming off the bench vs. the upgraded comp ( and lap dances, LOL !) in the ACC.

Last edited:
Blades,

There seems to be some skepticism about Purvis coming back. And if he does not, who is the 3rd guard, never mind the 4th???????

As far as the question of how good CV is......those ratings were compiled before Louisville and UConn started recruiting him after the decommitment from UNLV. Some scouts seemed to think he elevated his stock in his prep year. That is what prep school is for.

Last edited:
My bad KSTW, I joined this thread late and missed your post above,
" If you guys think somehow UConn being on his shirt is more powerful than a starting position then you smoking too much weed or something."....regarding Vital starting at Louisville over Snider, Mitchell and King. So are you really trying to double down on that uncertainty ? Actually I would use the being forth in line behind Purvis and the 2 PG's as the reason he may pass on Uconn...... or that he'd rather skip those " big crowd" AAC road games or vs. powerhouse teams like Tulane, ECU, USF, UCF, etc

But no there have been rankings out after his prep school year,
247 who you like to quote has him ranked 215th in the country as
of April 20th.. but hey if Pitino is telling him what your selling .....he's gonna be a starter... ;) OK........
  • Ranked # 215
  • 1_4411039.jpg

Christian Vital St. Thomas More (Forest Hills, NY)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT