ADVERTISEMENT

Big East Has Top 2 Spots in ESPN Preseason Top 25

NBC Sports has Nova 1st and Creighton 4th with the next ranked BE team listed in "FIVE THAT JUST MISSED THE CUT " - Uconn (in the top 30)

Last edited:
Speaking of Top 25 teams (NBC Sports)....Dan's older brother has been killing it in recruiting.....now Goodman's pushing for a battle of the brothers...

Hurley vs. Hurley! Probably we will see it in the NCAA tournament just like we saw Harbaugh v. Harbaugh in the Super Bowl a few years ago.

ASU got the better Hurley as a player, but UConn got the better Hurley as a coach, as well as the more fiery and more cerebral Hurley. Both schools may wonder about which one is the more loyal Hurley, as in will they both be at their current schools in 7 years?

Here's one look at the Big East pre-season rankings: They have Uconn #4:

Star Watch:
James Bouknight
Who makes The Leap: Jalen Gaffney
X-Factor: A Reinvigorated Fanbase
and no he's from Brooklyn " Any 2020-21 UConn conversation begins with Bouknight, the 6-foot-4 Providence native."
( SMH, at some of these writers)

Last edited:
Those rankings seem fair to me. The interesting picks are Seton Hall at 3 and UConn at 4. If UConn gets Sanogo you can flip flop UConn and the Hall.

Another one from The Athletic:

4. Connecticut Huskies
Possible starters:
R.J. Cole, James Bouknight, Andre Jackson, Akok Akok, Josh Carlton
Reserves: Isaiah Whaley, Brendan Adams, Jalen Gaffney, Tyler Polley, Javonte Brown-Ferguson, Richard Springs

" Welcome back, UConn fans. You’re safe now. You’re home.......After a long, harsh winter in what they clearly came to consider the basketball wilderness — better known as the American Athletic Conference — the Huskies and their fans have, at long last, returned to the familiar environs of the Big East. The post-schism league looks a little different these days, sure, but it will undoubtedly remind Huskies die-hards of the good old days. (Your now-and-forever reminder that UConn won a national title in its first season in the American, which was its second (year ? )under coach Kevin Ollie, when it was a No. 7 seed … and has made the NCAA Tournament just once since. What a bizarre seven years.) "

"Would Connecticut fans be happy just to see their program back in the Big East? Probably! Will they have to settle for that? Probably not. There are real reasons to like where this team is headed, regardless of league, in Dan Hurley’s third season, after a second that showcased undeniable progress. James Bouknight has a chance to be the Big East player of the year; he’s that good, and has that much more room to improve (specifically shooting from the perimeter, where he attempted just 72 3s a season ago). Akok Akok’s recovery from injury appears (from afar, on Twitter) to be continuing apace. Jalen Gaffney could be UConn’s breakout player. Together, the three rising sophomores went through the classic step-forward, step-back cycle you often see from young groups thrown into the fire. They improved massively down the stretch. They got tough. "

"By the end of the season, UConn was one of the American’s toughest outs. Combining that Hurley-influenced grind with technical basketball improvement could presage a Big East return befitting UConn’s tradition. Being back will be nice, but the Huskies are coming to compete. "

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out why UConn was left out of the Big East-Big 12 Challenge. I realize the Big 12 only has 10 teams and the Big East now has 11 with UConn, but how is it that UConn is picked either 3rd or 4th in the Big East- meaning there are either 7 or 8 lesser teams, depending on who you believe- and they are left out of this event??????/ What kind of BS is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East–Big_12_Alliance

I am trying to figure out why UConn was left out of the Big East-Big 12 Challenge. I realize the Big 12 only has 10 teams and the Big East now has 11 with UConn, but how is it that UConn is picked either 3rd or 4th in the Big East- meaning there are either 7 or 8 lesser teams, depending on who you believe- and they are left out of this event??????/ What kind of BS is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East–Big_12_Alliance
It had been reported when UConn joined the Big East that the first year the Huskies would either be in this or the Big Ten challenge, but not both. We'll have to wait until the following season to be in both.

speaking of the BE.... here's a hype video:

Last edited:
It had been reported when UConn joined the Big East that the first year the Huskies would either be in this or the Big Ten challenge, but not both. We'll have to wait until the following season to be in both.

Obviously when you play these conference vs. conference challenges, you want your conference to win, and the chances of winning are improved when the best teams in the conference are involved in the challenge. Last year the Big East ass-whipped the Big 12 8-2 in that challenge. UConn not being in the challenge this year lessens the chance for a repeat. Hopefully the Big East will recognize the importance of using the best teams in these challenges. You want to say to a west coast recruit looking at PAC 12 schools, "hey our conference played the PAC 12 and we beat them head to head." It helps in recruiting big time and that's why you don't send second tier conference teams into these challenges. If you lose the challenge then the whole conference loses in recruiting.

Blades, I think that is an accurate analysis but I would flip Creighton and Villanova in the 1-2 spots, otherwise they have the top 5 nailed down. They mention the Ty Martin waiver request as if it actually matters, do we have any reason to believe it will be granted and does it make a great deal of difference if it isn't? I don't think he will be needed until 21-22.

They mention the Ty Martin waiver request as if it actually matters, do we have any reason to believe it will be granted and does it make a great deal of difference if it isn't? I don't think he will be needed until 21-22.
Hurley has been quoted as saying that Martin does not want the same path as RJ Cole with a redshirt year and they will be applying for a waiver for him. But I agree with you and as the article says, on paper Uconn is deeper (12 men) than they've been in years. So it might not be what Tyrese wants but if he's using his 2 more years of eligibility wisely, he's got a clear path to alot more PT if he starts up in 21-22, with Josh, Whaley, Polley and most likely James gone.

Last edited:
You never like to say you have too many guys, but if Martin gets his waiver and you have a 13 man roster, all 13 seem like they are solid rotation candidates and candidates for significant minutes. They don't have any guys that you look at and say, "he is deep bench material". Like that kid Ollie got as a grad transfer R.J. Evans. You looked at him and said, "deep bench guy", because he would get his shot blocked at an alarming rate (may have unofficial UConn record for most shots blocked against per minute). I just don't see anyone who is deep bench materia,l yet I never saw a team that went 13 deep.

It makes for an interesting problem of dividing up minutes in an equitable fashion. Whether they have Martin or not they will have lots of guys to man multiple positions. Martin is maybe a 4th guard at best.

Hurley met with the media today...spoke on alot of thing going on:

Most of the beat guys have an article... here's one:

Bey of Villanova has decided to stay in the NBA Draft, which weakens Villanova significantly. I think Creighton will now be consensus preseason favorite with Nova #2 and UConn #3. UConn has a real shot at threatening Nova and Creighton for the top spot in the Big East.

Rothstein's picks are reasonable, but recent draft discussions have Saddiq Bey going in the middle
of the 1st round and maybe "sneaking" into the lottery pick area. 3 and D guys are coveted by the NBA, and he is one of the better ones out there. But Rothstein seems to think he is coming back? Not sure why. But if he does return Villanova will definitely be the team to beat and maybe even nationally.

Interesting that the firing of the 76ers coach, Brett Brown, could impact on the Big East but the 76ers are reportedly focusing on 2 coaches to succeed Brown, and one is Jay Wright of Villanova. The other is the likely favorite, Tyronn Lue who is an assistant with the LA Clippers. I could actually see Wright taking the job if they offer him a lot of money. He would not have to move, and the way he coaches will play well in the NBA.

Rothstein's picks are reasonable, but recent draft discussions have Saddiq Bey going in the middle
of the 1st round and maybe "sneaking" into the lottery pick area. 3 and D guys are coveted by the NBA, and he is one of the better ones out there. But Rothstein seems to think he is coming back? Not sure why. But if he does return Villanova will definitely be the team to beat and maybe even nationally.
Me either, I thought that horse has already left the barn...But I do think Rothstein has it right with this quote ..." Villanova won’t be the same team that it would have been if Bey returned to school for his junior season instead of heading to the NBA "

NBC Sports called Bey the most underrated prospect in the NBA draft in the below video, which showcases his defensive skills, but I don't believe NBA talent evaluators underrate a 6'8" player who can both shoot and defend the 3. Perimeter defense in the NBA is at its highest premium ever right now, and this is why this guy will go in the 1st round and really should not come back:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT