ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 story

As a Texas resident, AGAIN, I would love this move as it would bring me more great opp's to see my guys play. Shaka vs Ollie would be fun to watch.

Here's the recent (4/15/16) quote linked in Aman's article from ESPN's Jake Trotter who is considered some type of expert/ insider on the Big 12 and OU matters according to his bio.

Alex Apyan ‎@AeroApe51
@Jake_Trotter Seems like the B12 is really giving expansion its due diligence and keeping it quiet. (1/2)

Trotter: Yes, it's been rather quiet lately regarding expansion, but that is about to change with spring meetings coming in May. A few things to point out: The Big 12 could vote to expand this summer but wait months to decide on who to add. Expansion could lead to an extension of the league's granting of TV rights by several more years (they expire in 2025), which obviously would help stabilize the league in the immediate future. And as far as potential expansion candidates, one school I keep hearing as a real contender, should the Big 12 expand, is the University of Connecticut. BYU and Cincinnati, among others, seem like obvious favorites. But Connecticut could be a real factor in the discussion should things heat up this summer.

In any event the Power 2 ( Big Ten, SEC) could also have some of the ACC or Big 12 schools knocking on their door looking to switch conferences for their TV dollars, which could be good for Uconn too, if that shifting creates openings elsewhere.

Last edited:
Also regarding Uconn and the P-5 thing...here's a tweet that might be relevant:

Last edited:
Reactions: UconNell
BIG 12 meetings in session, some tweets:

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel
" Bowlsby: "the Playoff is the topic du jour, but it's far from the only factor" that would determine whether to expand."
" The idea that Texas can lord its power over rest of Big 12 is outdated narrative. Prez/AD/coach have all turned over since last realignment."
"Here in Phoenix, the long-awaited Navigate Research presentation of data to Big 12 ADs/coaches about to begin."
"Simulations included everything from 10 to 16 teams, championship or no championship, 8 or 9 games, how hard the 8 opponents were, etc."
" Bob Bowlsby said the research done by Navigate was based on 10 seasons of data and 40,000 simulations."

FWIW:
10 year attendance Ave...... Football.......Basketball
UCONN.............................. 35,091......... 11,554
CINCY.................................... 31,075........... 8,434
MEMPHIS............................. 28,747......... 15,589

and from CBS: Expansion would improve Big 12's playoff chances by 10-15 percent

Meanwhile
: As Big 12 ponders expansion, Mike Aresco on guard for losses

''We always have plans for contingencies that might arise,'' American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco told the AP on Tuesday.
''It's no secret that there could be more realignment. We discuss this a bit with our membership, but mainly to focus on the cohesion of the conference. We ask people to respect the membership. Because whatever happens, this is going to be a good, strong conference regardless.''

Last edited:
In any event the Power 2 ( Big Ten, SEC) could also have some of the ACC or Big 12 schools knocking on their door looking to switch conferences for their TV dollars, which could be good for Uconn too, if that shifting creates openings elsewhere.

Follow up from Aman:
Hurricane Conference Realignment: The Plot Thickens
" I promise that all I am trying to do here is make an earnest attempt to cover the possibilities of schools which may be switching conferences and if UConn might be one of them.
While the Big 12 discussion has dominated realignment chatter, a few other "power conferences" may be looking to expand as well. "

Acc b10 or the b12. I will take any.. just need a new home. Aac will just not work. Of the three which helps us the most

Reactions: the Blades
Acc b10 or the b12. I will take any.. just need a new home. Aac will just not work. Of the three which helps us the most
Not sure about which helps the most doc, but to me the ACC seems to make the most sense. But when it comes to realignment, nothing makes sense these days.

But when it comes to realignment, nothing makes sense these days.

Lots of instability in the air and even if UConn got an invite to Big 12, I could envision another realignment a year after that again leaves UConn on the outside looking in. There is no security in any of these conferences but I also would prefer the ACC over anywhere else. I would like to see UConn simply replace Boston College. The Boston College brand has no value. UConn has been snagging the best players out of the Boston area for a while now. It would simply formalize that which is quietly recognized for a long time now.

Lots of instability in the air and even if UConn got an invite to Big 12, I could envision another realignment a year after that again leaves UConn on the outside looking in. There is no security in any of these conferences but I also would prefer the ACC over anywhere else. I would like to see UConn simply replace Boston College. The Boston College brand has no value. UConn has been snagging the best players out of the Boston area for a while now. It would simply formalize that which is quietly recognized for a long time now.
I hear ya on the BC thing K, but i want them in there....i want to beat them twice in hoops each year (4x if u count women) once in football (soccer & baseball too) so we can whoop it up on this site. They are a natural rivalry, it's easy to get to away games and it just plain feels better talking about it than, say, VA Tech. I'm a Yankee fan & i'm happy Boston is in the same division. BC, like it or not, will be around a long time. They do have history and even though they have been gawd aweful recently, all it takes is a strong HC and a few recruits...let's not forget where we (UCONN) came from...

Any ship off this AAC Island would be more than fine. To leave with Cincy to the B12 and back vs. old foe WVU with an small eastern pod would be more than OK... then the upgraded hoops and FB competition with mostly similar geography as the AAC would be a plus - plus. If the Big 12 wants to learn anything from the defunct Big East it's don't let a school ( Notre Dame with a huge FB TV contract so they'd never be a full member ) or schools ( the Catholic hoopsters) stop you from expanding. It wasn't long ago that alot of the possible Big12 leftovers were talking to the Big East about a merger between the all sports schools when TEX/TT and OU/ OSU were about to leave them for the PAC. Texas is playing the part of ND because they will keep collecting the Longhorn Network TV dollars until they get a better offer somewhere else....Staying small with just 10 members or with 8 FB only's like the old BE is a disaster waiting to happen. And they could end up just like that former mish-mashed BE. When by the time they are allowed to add teams( remember BE members TCU, Boise St. San Diego St. ???) by the "No votes" they are gone anyway and it'll be to late.

Like KSTW said things may keep shifting but if you can upgrade away from the Tulane's of the world, etc.....even if it's with 4 AAC teams into a P-5/ Big 12 for improved bowl acce$$ and
a BB RPI upgrade.... it's a winner across the board.....Plus a move into the Big 12 leaves Uconn in the best conference in the country for another sport, Hockey East.

That being said if the B1G ( with their new TV contract$ ) does go poach a few more, I'm sure they'd have a few in the ACC high on the list... Uconn as a fill in would be a perfect re-union in the ACC, hockey stays the same, geography regains some sanity and regaining alot of the old rivalries would be like coming full circle. I used to think Uconn was trying to build a B1G profile but with the money that conference is getting I think they'll have some bigger schools banging on their door, so the B1G is probably moot.

Last edited:
Blades..... The B1G is definitely not moot bro!!

I want more Ozz if you got it.... rumors , I'll take anything. LOL ! .... but with Uconn having no AAU academic certification and now with the money the B1G is making,
I could see Delaney having his sights on bigger media market targets, TEX, FLA St.,one from the Carolina's, or even more in the midwest, like OKLA or Kansas...to go along with Nebraska and every one of them listening.... before Uconn.....OR... him needing to do nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
Well Delaney wants more in NYC and Boston/NE market which is UCONN and also I can see either Nc St or Virginia getting poached. But we would be the more Linley candidate with Virginia to go there then NC St.

Our profile and academics are really high and only going up so.... That helps a lot obviously. Plus it comes is a bit more regional than B12 would. Obviously ACC is best bet and if they get poached then we are a shoe in there as well now. Back can go to hell at that point!

Shaggy,

I am a Yankees fan too and I do like the Red Sox being in the same division but I am having a major depression due to the offensive problems of the Yankees team. It's a bad recipe in baseball if you construct a roster with guys who are old and injury prone or just plain injury prone and not durable over 162 games, and it seems like the Yankees just have too many guys who break down too easily. It really doesn't matter why a guy breaks down. This is a team that was in first place by 8 games on July 31 last year, then the whole team either gets hurt or is shot the last two months. It's very annoying to me as a fan. At some point you need to pull the plug on some of these guys and start planning for the future.

I can say the same thing about the UConn bigs as far as their ability to stay on the court. A foul prone basketball player is no different than the fragile baseball player who does 3 stints on the DL minimum every year. You can't help the team when you aren't playing......

Here's another one from Jacobs with the understatement of the decade:
" In retrospect the worst thing that happened to UConn was Jeff Hathaway overseeing the hiring of Paul Pasqualoni to replace Randy Edsall. "

* Texas Doesn't Need UConn, But Other Big 12 Schools Could Use Boost From This Area

And another truth that all these national P-5 media type's don't get when they stick their chest out and bad mouth Uconn. It's that probably 1/3 of these so-called P-5's couldn't carry Uconn's ( nor BYU's ) jock strap as athletic dept's: " It's the lower-echelon Big 12 schools that aren't nearly so lucky. They are hostages in a sense. Without Texas and Oklahoma, let's be honest, the Big 12 is no Power Five conference. It's a glorified AAC bent on disintegration. "

and adds: UConn football was never as good as some thought and not nearly as weak as some are painting it now. It also is a program rebounding and on the rise. The other truth is when you bring in big-time schools in football and basketball UConn draws big-time numbers. There are people writing and talking about UConn right now that don't have a clue.

but he adds: Some would argue UConn should sit back and wait on the ACC or the Big Ten. Nope. If you are offered a seat at the big boys and big girls table you jump on it. Now. Figure out the landscape in 2025.

Last edited:
Maybe not CR related but Uconn related: * UConn Sets Record For Freshmen Applications — Again

Once again, this year, UConn has a record number of applicants for its Storrs campus — nearly 36,000....a pool of might-be Huskies who scored slightly higher on SATs and came from all 50 states and 109 countries.That's a 62 percent increase over the 22,000 applications received in 2010 and almost a doubling of applications since 2005 when the number was 18,608. This despite the state of Connecticut experiencing a 3.6 percent drop in school enrollment at all levels between 2006 and 2011. "UConn has gained in popularity among students, a variety of students," Fuerst said. "Students really speak favorably about the place." Nathan Fuerst, UConn's director of undergraduate admissions, said that more than one in three of this year's high school seniors in Connecticut applied to UConn.

And here's on more CR piece from the Hartford Courant with not much covered that we haven't covered on this board:
* UConn Aims To Be Piece Of Big 12 Expansion Puzzle

This is the latest and UConn isn't even being mentioned among the top 4 expansion candidates:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...central-florida-ucf/xmvmlqlgk39716cik0b6o1hn0

No BYU or Cincy either ??? ...they've been reported at the top of the list by many of these national media "experts" ...Well if UCF, Houston and Memphis go it could be worse, but then the AAC should go truly all American by adding the other 2 service academy's and BYU.... That would top off the conference nicely. BYU and Air Force as all sports and Army could join as a FB only to balance off Navy.

I personally think UConn is a bad fit for the Big 12, but it's also a highly unstable conference and will remain so after the expansion. Remember a conference affiliation is a marriage, and you don't want to be married to someone who is highly unstable, erratic and needy.

. Remember a conference affiliation is a marriage, and you don't want to be married to someone who is highly unstable, erratic and needy.

You mean like the Big East was forever ?...yeah Uconn's been there, done that...so it probably can't be worse , LOL !!! .... or wait what about the American, isn't everyone trying to run out the door, never mind...:rolleyes:

I personally think UConn is a bad fit for the Big 12, but it's also a highly unstable conference and will remain so after the expansion. Remember a conference affiliation is a marriage, and you don't want to be married to someone who is highly unstable, erratic and needy.

Who cares about a good fit seriously we're on the Titanic. I'll take the old mac

Who cares about a good fit seriously we're on the Titanic. I'll take the old mac

The Big 12 does obviously. They don't want to add teams that have no geographical natural rivalries with conference teams. Then you have low attendance and viewership until a rivalry develops - if it will even have time to do so. If it made any sense the Big 12 wouldn't be looking at the 4 teams they are looking at.

Panicked decision making equals bad decision making. I like the suggestion Blades made- add BYU and service academies and strengthen AAC. If you can't join them you have to beat them.

I hear ya Doc and it's been a sinking ship....for what 13 years ? Uconn lost every geographical fit they ever had in this conference and it's so bad that Aresco had to invite back a FB only team that was thrown out years ago ( Temple) just to give them another eastern presence, SMH !

So a recap, what is now called The American lost Va Tech, Miami, BC ...Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, a fill in commuter school named Louisville and the always sneakin around we wont play FB Notre Dame..to go along with 7 BB schools ( 5 eastern rivals in our own back yard)... and don't forget 3 who never got here Boise St., TCU and San Diego St...... that's 18 schools lost so far ...did I miss anyone ???? ......but the Big 12 is unstable....LOL !!!!!!!

Yep Tulsa OK, Uconn visiting a HS gym in New Orleans, ECU who wasn't even invited to play basketball originally because they were so bad... plus a couple of Texas schools, Cincy, Memphis and 2 in FLA ( who all want a divorce) sounds like the perfect marriage to me and right where Uconn should be ......;) !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr.O1

Cartoon_AAC.jpg

So a writer based out of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania has an opinion and the answers for Uconn... it doesn't sound very balanced to me, more like self preservation for a school who might get left behind : "Stay in the northeast is my suggestion. Then again, I don’t have a vote. With the Hartford-New Haven television market ranking as the 30th “best” in the nation, whatever decision UConn makes — if it is asked to make one — can massively hurt or bolster the AAC. "

He must be a Temple fan.... but then again I think I've finally found the right fit for the Big 12, just ask a Temple grad and professor, LOL !!!
* Temple Should Be At The Top of The List for Big 12 Expansion

Also interesting words from Uconn's AD in the Fox interview: "whether the Big 12 makes a decision this summer or they don't, something's going to happen next year and I think we're in a great geographical position for a conference like a Big 12." ...and he seems to be tight lipped except to say "that Uconn is doing the right things", when asked about the others scrambling for a spot at the top of their lungs like UCF, Memphis, Houston, Cincy etc... which is all the Sporting News article above really says ...

Maybe Pres Herbst learned something from the last go around, but I do remember this meeting leaking out: " ( former)Kansas State president Kirk Schulz, the chairman of the Big 12 board of directors, had dinner with the UConn brass before the women's basketball game at the XL Center in November. Somewhere between the appetizer and dessert, it's hard to believe the virtues of UConn weren't extolled." Article: UConn Mum On P-5, But Don't Confuse That With inaction

And today from ADB

Conference Realignment
UConn’s Cloak and Dagger Campaign for the Big 12

"What this all boils down to is that while you see the desperation of schools like Cincinnati or Memphis displayed in full view of the public, UConn has apparently chosen the opposite tack."

But I think I'm with you Doc, everyone wants out of the AAC, no one wants in....so give me the MAC.....;););););) !!!!

Last edited:
Also interesting words from Uconn's AD in the Fox interview: "whether the Big 12 makes a decision this summer or they don't, something's going to happen next year and I think we're in a great geographical position for a conference like a Big 12." ...and he seems to be tight lipped except to say "that Uconn is doing the right things", when asked about the others scrambling for a spot at the top of their lungs like UCF, Memphis, Houston, Cincy etc... which is all the Sporting News article above really says ...

Maybe Pres Herbst learned something from the last go around, but I do remember this meeting leaking out: " ( former)Kansas State president Kirk Schulz, the chairman of the Big 12 board of directors, had dinner with the UConn brass before the women's basketball game at the XL Center in November. Somewhere between the appetizer and dessert, it's hard to believe the virtues of UConn weren't extolled." Article: UConn Mum On P-5, But Don't Confuse That With inaction

And today from ADB

Conference Realignment
UConn’s Cloak and Dagger Campaign for the Big 12

"What this all boils down to is that while you see the desperation of schools like Cincinnati or Memphis displayed in full view of the public, UConn has apparently chosen the opposite tack."

But I think I'm with you Doc, everyone wants out of the AAC, no one wants in....so give me the MAC.....;););););) !!!!

Old MAC > then aac..haha

I do not follow realignment at all?.... Are we going to get an offer this summer? Help a brother out. I need the cliff notes

OK, here's Jacobs recap from yesterday after him hearing quotes from the key players:

Jeff Jacobs: Big 12 Expansion? More Like An Implosion

My take is just like the Big East with a Notre Dame problem and their NBC TV contract for football, the Big 12 continues to have the Texas problem with their Longhorn Network.
That's a $15 mil a year advantage over the other Big 12 schools, that TEX ain't lettin' no one f#ck with because they are making B1G and SEC money without having to compete with them.....
and they certainly don't want to tie theirselves into any new agreement with new schools they look down on. Because like Notre Dame as soon as Texas can get a better deal elsewhere ( B1G, SEC, PAC) in addition to their own TV network, they'll walk. OU wants more money too because they are behind Texas, SEC and B1G schools and they figure expansion might bring some new revenue even though they would be OK too if the Big 12 implodes.....But at the moment TEX and OU are playing nice...

As has been the case for about 4-5 years when the 4 (Tex & OK) schools almost left to the PAC..... the rest of these Big 12 schools have to just STFU and hope TEX and OU get along because as Jacobs points out:
" You always get the feeling the Big 12 of 10 members is one nasty argument away from Texas bolting for the Pac-12. You always get the feeling the Big 12 of 10 is two nasty arguments away from Oklahoma bolting for the SEC. And if that happens, you know what you call the Big 12? That's right. The American Athletic Conference II. "

Which is true... but if the Big 12 leftovers added Uconn, Cincy, BYU and say Memphis it certainly would be better than the AAC "1.0" that Uconn is in right now...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT