ADVERTISEMENT

Akok Akok on campus

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ist-of-five-akok-s-decision-ahead-looms-large

Pitt: “Coach (Jeff) Capel just feels like I could be a great addition to his program, and that by going there we could become one of the top teams in the country. He came up to a lot of my practices this fall and has really made me a priority. He feels like he could get me to the next level and with his past in coaching those kinds of guys, he thinks he could do just the same with me.”

UConn: “It is another school that I have a very good relationship with, coach (Danny) Hurleyand the rest of the coaches there. I feel like it could be a good place for me to get better, but also make a run for the national championship.”

Reactions: UconNell
Here's a little more from 2 well known CT sports writers, one who used to be the editor of this site:

Akok Akok To The NBA?
The Story: Wednesday was the first day of the fall signing period and the Huskies are in good shape with guards Jalen Gaffneyand James Bouknight expected to send in their National Letters of Intent. The intrigue, however, remains with Putnam Acadamy forward Akok Akok, who was supposed to be choosing between UConn and Syracuse. Now, it looks like the NBA is an option.

NBA ELIGIBLE: Akok told Scout.com that he is considering jumping to the league after this year at Putnam Academy. Akok didn't sound definite in his plans but won't sign early. Jeff Jacobs of Heart Connecticut Media, though, believes it would be wise to "pump the brakes" on some of that talk.

HUSKIES IN GOOD SHAPE: The Huskies, even with Akok potentially considering the NBA, remain in good position, according to ESPN recruiting guru Jeff Borzello, who said there are 22 top-100 recruits in ESPN's 100 that haven't committed and the Huskies are his favorites for three of them: Akok (No. 39 overall), 6-foot-8 PF Precious Achiuwa (No. 10) and 6-foot-10 C Kofi Cockburn (No. 31).

The Huskies have their backcourt of the future locked up. They could use one or two of those big men to come in and round out the class.

To Sign-up for their E-mail newsletter head over to http://UConnDaily.com to receive it each morning.

He will take Cobb's scholarship when Cobb graduates. Cobb is a senior and this is his last year of eligibility. Akok still needs to pass the SAT anyway.

Next year isn't an issue whatsoever, forget about Cobb they have 5 schollies open from SR's ( take your pick Adams, Yakwe, Smith, Williams along w/ Cobb)

Reactions: CaNOLEE
BTW, I posted a link in the other thread but Borges gave a little more info than Dom Amore. So if all goes as planned he's a 2018-19 walk-on, but he'll still be a FR ( RS) just like Bouknight and Gaffney in the fall of 2019. Except he gets to practice everyday vs. better comp, work out with Sal and learn Uconn's system for a half of year. ( if things don't work out, think Diallo if he had left UK after one semester)

"Akok plans to enroll at UConn for the second semester and join the basketball team as a walk-on, but not play. He will not be on scholarship, but will likely qualify for a hefty financial aid package. ( plus I'd asume he gets the in-state rate) UConn is at its scholarship allotment of 13, and even if a current scholarship player left the program, Akok wouldn’t have been able to take that scholarship as they are considered year-long “counters.”

Last edited:
He could be using UConn as a close to home training base. Put his name in draft and see what happens. Has anyone looked to see where he is rated in the NBA mock drafts?

No chance he gets drafted this year, intriguing skill set, but raw and unproven against better competition. Once he gets in the weight room and plays against the big boys....the sky is the limit. You can’t teach defense instincts and 3 point shooting from a 6’ 10” player. Will be fun next year if we can land another big man.

No chance he gets drafted this year, intriguing skill set, but raw and unproven against better competition. Once he gets in the weight room and plays against the big boys....the sky is the limit. You can’t teach defense instincts and 3 point shooting from a 6’ 10” player. Will be fun next year if we can land another big man.
Tell that to Terry Larrier (not that I miss him, because I think he is an addition by subtraction), but I think you made some good points with everything you said. Some of these kids make bad decisions.

Hopefully he will come to his senses or realize his financial situation to help his family will only improve as a pro if he's more prepared. But there is also that new G-league plan in the works ( not sure if it's next year) that will now take select prospects and pay them $150K to develop in the "minor leagues". So I guess we'll have to see what happen or if somehow he might be available this semester or if it's tied in to that other post about K-Williams leaving.

Last edited:
Akok Akok is not on the NBA Draft Net board. I would tend to believe he is not getting drafted. I think it's premature to compare him to Terry Larrier because I do not remember Larrier bringing a shotblocker skill set. Larrier was not as good as advertised on D or with his decision making. He was more of a stretch 4 whereas it is not clear to me if Akok is a 4 or a 5. He seems like he could play both positions.

Tell that to Terry Larrier (not that I miss him, because I think he is an addition by subtraction), but I think you made some good points with everything you said. Some of these kids make bad decisions.
KSTW, your talking skill set, I'm talking about real life decision making by young adults (when to go pro) when I brought up Larrier ......which are 2 different things.

Yeah that was a very bad decision by Larrier but his on court decision making was also bad. He tended to play hero ball a lot and I remember many bad TOs leading to fast breaks the other way. We saw this by Gilbert and Vital against Arizona and Jalen Adams also had 5 TOs. Jalen overuses the Eurostep move to create shots that aren’t there and was properly criticized for it by Seth Greenberg. Hurley has to get these guys to stop the hero ball plays and moves. All of the guards were guilty of it.

Hopefully Akok Akok is good with his on and off court decisions.

Yeah that was a very bad decision by Larrier but his on court decision making was also bad. He tended to play hero ball a lot and I remember many bad TOs leading to fast breaks the other way. We saw this by Gilbert and Vital against Arizona and Jalen Adams also had 5 TOs. Jalen overuses the Eurostep move to create shots that aren’t there and was properly criticized for it by Seth Greenberg. Hurley has to get these guys to stop the hero ball plays and moves. All of the guards were guilty of it.

Jalen also had 6 assists so I can take him being an offensive leader (an Alpha), plus he hit on 9 of 16 shots yesterday which is a great % for a guard. (57% this year - Top 10 in the AAC).......
But 7 TO's and 1 assist by CV ? ( and 43% on FG's) This team will only get better when Sid becomes good enough to play more and CV plays less. On a good team CV is no better than a 7th or 8th man. Unless CV learns to take a page from Niels Giffey which is rebound, play his tough D and limit his shot selection. CV seems like his shooting goes up 30-40% when he shoots in rhythm off a nice swing pass. His handle is becoming as bad as Larrier's was especially vs. the good teams when he tries to drive into 3 defenders. AG (41% FG's) on the other hand ....has to share the ball more... but stop believing he is Daniel Hamilton reincarnated and limits his drives into the trees. It gets dark in that forrest ....especially when your not even 6ft tall, LOL!

Last edited:
funny that his ranking dropped yet he gets to be with a college team and college coach for a semester. out of sight out of mind I guess?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT