ADVERTISEMENT

Akinjo and Matthews

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
It makes me sick that Hurley lost these two guys. Akinjo averaged 13.3 ppg and 5.4 apg 38.5% on 3s for Georgetown and is going to be great. Emmitt Matthews Jr. dropped 28 tonight to lead WVU, a 10 seed, to a stunning upset over #2 seed Texas Tech. He is a major league dunker. These guys could be wearing the UConn uniform right now. I hope the 2 guards they are bringing in next year are this good or I will not be happy.

Wow great game by Matthews, where's he been all season, is this his Brimah like ( 40pts) game of his life ?... he's averaging 3.8 pts and 2.4 rebs per game on the season in 27 games ...

Speaking of woulda coulda....Vance Jackson had 26 pts/8 rebs /5asts/ 4 steals ...his 1st game of the MWC tourney and followed it up with 25 points/ 5 ast ...tonight...but who needs a 6-9/230lb... 3pt shooter who can pass and rebound (7.1 avg) anyway ?

Last edited:
Matthews wasn’t playing until recently when injuries and suspensions of starters forced him into more minutes. That’s why he had no stats. I have seen him a few times and the kid can play. Huggy Bear stumbled into a player and I could tell by his facial expressions that he knows it. This kid is a much better athlete than what we were led to believe. I am very disappointed that Hurley didn’t keep Akinjo and Matthews. They are better players than the guys UConn had starting at those positions this year. Never let talent walk away!!!!!

Your delusional.... the kid has 1 game out of 27 and suddenly he's Rip Hamilton...secondly we already have a pint sized PG (Rique) who shoots 35% on his FG's ( same as Akinjo which sucks monkey balls)..you can't play midget ball on top of small ball..so we didn't need another..... I'll pass on both those guys & the 6-10 big who's so far turned out to be a stiff that KO recruited. He averaged. 1.6/1.8 for Stanford.....so you need to move on

Last edited:
KSTW ... I checked.... I think your reaching for what might have been a possible ray of hope in the current shit storm....... Matthews has been playing major minutes (about 25 pg) for the past 9 games @ WVU, 1/3 of his season, he scored in double figures in just 1 of those games..... The talent you say EM's better than at Uconn like Polley and Wilson( the only 2 that matter) are guys that Hurley was stuck with on scholly and KO's guys. So that would of given Uconn 3 anorexic wings trying to match up with real 4 's.

I'll give Matthews (another bad 3pt shooter- 23% ) credit for one thing, his rebounding does looks light years ahead of Polley even though he's just as light as TP at 195 lbs...and I do wish him the best with good coaching at WVU, something he would have never gotten here.. playing for KO.

But none of this is on Hurley, who didn't even get hired until the 2018 recruiting season was 99% over ....Like I said above we can talk about the guys that should of been/ and were on this team like Vance above, Enoch and Durham( who just scored doubles in 2 tourney games in a row for ND with starters minutes ).....but I guess these are also cases where you should never let talent walk away !!!!.........;)

Last edited:
None of those guys should have been allowed to go! You never let talent walk!!!!!! The guys who left under Calhoun all sucked and most of them were run off the team by Jim. Geno has also run girls off his team who didn’t measure up to his standards, although I think he may have made a mistake with Espinoza Hunter who has a slew of 20 point+ games recently for Miss. State.

There is no point in finger pointing at KO or Hurley. The bottom line is the roster needs a serious talent upgrade. We don’t need wave after wave of shitty grad transfers. UConn needs real talent like the names above. Go to Europe or China, just find it! Look at Beilein at Michigan, last year he had Wagner the kid from Germany who wasn’t recruited by anyone and this year he has Iggy Bradzeikas who looks to me like second coming of Chris Mullin but nobody knew who the kid was. Go find these kids!!!!! Just do it!

The guys who left under Calhoun all sucked and most of them were run off the team by Jim. !
Ain't that the truth....and guys who left early to go pro didn't leave for the D-league or Europe...it was 1st round or bust until they left !!!

Last edited:
There is no point in finger pointing at Hurley. The bottom line is the roster needs a serious talent upgrade.
You know damn well who created this pencil thin roster... KO ....but lets start with an end to the A-10 small ball crap that I questioned at the time that Hurley was hired. This is a grown mans league, I hope DH gets it now...where's he getting some real bigs ? ....Europe, Israel, AUS...it's all good, it worked for JC

Last edited:
It’s definitely a grown man’s league. So go and get some grown men to play in it! Or another 16-17, 6-12 season or worse awaits.

Speaking of overseas recruiting guess where the other half of UConn BB is looking?
Nika Muhl.....5-10"..... G..... Croatia

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Geno had some good ones from Europe - anyone remember Svetlana Abrosomova and Orly Grossman? Danny should join Geno over there. There are lots of Eurogirls who can hoop-

Geno had some good ones from Europe - anyone remember Svetlana Abrosomova and Orly Grossman? Danny should join Geno over there. There are lots of Eurogirls who can hoop-
He probably needs some Euro gals more than ever...Uconn could become mortal again without Phesa and KLS...and whats he have 1 recruit coming who's not even a top 30....Geno's losing his touch

Actually Aubrey Griffin though ranked #33 is a 5 star and McDonald's All American and has great bloodlines (father Adrian played at Seton Hall and in the NBA and coaches with the OKC Thunder). I have read that she might be ranked a bit low based on her athleticism/ceiling.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/233990

That being said Geno does need players especially frontcourt players. Like Hurley, he has exactly one quality big returning.

Yeah like I said no top 30, (no top 10 is shocking for Geno) ...Griffin's kid was who I was talking about.

Matthews wasn’t playing until recently when injuries and suspensions of starters forced him into more minutes. That’s why he had no stats.
I see Matthews was back to reality after the game of his life. More of what he did all season long with his 4.7 pts and 2.8 rebs per game as WVU's season is over:
E. Matthews Jr. lit it up with 5pts, 3 rebs ( 2/10 FG's... 1/5 3pts )in 32 minutes last night.....Seems a very Polley like stat line. Like I said I'll pass.... we need some beef up front and this kid was just another pencil thin wing in the KO tradition.

Matthews is a superb athlete and will be a very good player for WVU. He is a better player than Polley or Wilson and would start over both, but unfortunately next year he will be starting for WVU which will be very good next year. I would have kept that kid, over the other 2.

Matthews is a superb athlete and will be a very good player for WVU. He is a better player than Polley or Wilson and would start over both, but unfortunately next year he will be starting for WVU which will be very good next year. I would have kept that kid, over the other 2.
Your reaching again... and moot point, Wilson and Polley were already at Uconn on scholly, so it wasn't DH's choice...SMH

Reactions: blenner
Dominick,

She got off the a slow start (was discussed in one of the the women's threads) and had a run of games where she was getting like 10 minutes off the bench. Lately Hunter has been starting and has a slew of 20 point plus games late in the season. She is MSU's best 3 point shooter.

He probably needs some Euro gals more than ever...Uconn could become mortal again without Phesa and KLS...and whats he have 1 recruit coming who's not even a top 30....Geno's losing his touch

Incoming freshman Aubrey Griffin
“My wife has this great saying. She goes, ‘You love them when you’re recruiting them, and you love them when you leave.’ It’s the in between part that I’m trying to get better at. I always think freshman are going to help us when they get here, and then you have to wait a couple of weeks when practice starts to find out if they really can. Sometimes you can see it right away, and sometimes it takes a while. Everybody’s different inside. Does she have the physical ability to help us? For sure. She’s long and she’s athletic, but is she going to come in and replace [Katie Lou Samuelson] and [Napheesa Collier]? No. She’s not, but Lou and Napheesa weren’t Lou and Napheesa when they first got here. But, she’s going to help us for sure.”

More - Geno Auriemma: Let UConn play at the XL Center for free or ‘fix the damn place’

The two Eurogirl guards they are recruiting look good and might hit the ground running as they are playing in high level Euroleagues. But UConn also needs another true big girl, a big body to set picks and help ONO on the boards. Much like the men have that same need.

It makes me sick that Hurley lost these two guys. Akinjo averaged 13.3 ppg and 5.4 apg 38.5% on 3s for Georgetown and is going to be great. Emmitt Matthews Jr. dropped 28 tonight to lead WVU, a 10 seed, to a stunning upset over #2 seed Texas Tech. He is a major league dunker. These guys could be wearing the UConn uniform right now. I hope the 2 guards they are bringing in next year are this good or I will not be happy.
Kind of a stupid post Khalid. Hurley did not lose these guys. When the coach who recruited them (Kevin Ollie) got fired they decommitted same as almost all other players.I hope they both have great careers but Matthews did not play that well all season for WV. Dont worry I think Akok, Bouk and Gaffney will make you happy.

I see Matthews was back to reality after the game of his life. More of what he did all season long with his 4.7 pts and 2.8 rebs per game as WVU's season is over:
E. Matthews Jr. lit it up with 5pts, 3 rebs ( 2/10 FG's... 1/5 3pts )in 32 minutes last night.....Seems a very Polley like stat line. Like I said I'll pass.... we need some beef up front and this kid was just another pencil thin wing in the KO tradition.
He has been described as a poor mans Polley but hope he does better moving forward.

Any incoming coach has the same opportunity to talk to decommited players as everyone else. You seem a stranger to the notion that an incoming coach can save decommitted recruits brought in by the outgoing coach. Kids commit to a program and it's up to the coach to make them feel like they can be an asset to the program. I don't totally fault Hurley for wanting to do it his way with his own guys, but I do believe he lost them because he did not believe they were Hurley type players and instead wanted his own guys. And I do believe those 2 kids, Akinjo and Matthews, would have been excellent players at UConn, but we will watch them be excellent players at GU and WVU.

You guys fancy yourselves such ace talent evaluators, well I have cash money that says Matthews will be a higher rated NBA prospect than Polley when they finish their respective college careers. Check back on this thread in 3 years and you can buy me lunch then.

You guys fancy yourselves such ace talent evaluators, well I have cash money that says Matthews will be a higher rated NBA prospect than Polley when they finish their respective college careers. Check back on this thread in 3 years and you can buy me lunch then.
YOUR REACHING AGAIN...YOU are so desperate to be right after the kid had ONE game.............DH had no relationship with those players .......KO did..
so just stop ! HURLEY respected/kept every kid that was on scholly, which was very noble and alot more than we can say for that buffoon who ran off a bunch of 4 stars players that were actually on his team....So what's the point of comparing EM to Polley..that was KO's recruit...are your trying to say DH should've kicked TP and Wilson off the team ? Your an idiot if you are, because it doesn't work that way...

PS ....Hurley took a one year flyer on Yakwe for that forward spot...so he wasn't stuck for 4 years and now that Yakwe is gone...Hurley has Akok to replace him so let's see how this works out for the Huskies if you want to compare guys.. or maybe we can compare Matthews to that other new guy who'll be on scholly this year. That 13th player that won't exist because KO lost the scholly .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT