ADVERTISEMENT

5 FBS Coaches Who Left Ideal Situations

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
5 FBS Head Coaches Who Should Have Never Left Their First Jobs
November 9, 2015 by Mike Gibson
Every year about this time, there will be a list of hot G5 coaches wooed by P5 programs, and those coaches should know that money does not necessarily buy happiness. Read More

4. Randy Edsall had the Huskies in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl, and his success (?????) in Connecticut convinced the stateto build a new 40,000-seat stadium in East Hartford, 30 miles from the school. Edsall had that stadium full and won two Big East championships, even beating Notre Dame once, before heading South to what he called his “dream job” in Maryland. That turned into a nightmare and he was fired this year.
cc.jpg

Last edited:
That's easy to say after the fact...

Edsall will land somewhere. There are a lot of marquee openings around the country, which will create more openings elsewhere. I don't think failing at Maryland has killed his career.

He's also getting paid whether he wins, loses or gets fired. He's doing just fine.

Or Randy could always go back to the NFL again, isn't that where vanilla flavored ...ex-Uconn HC's end up, LOL !

Or Randy could always go back to the NFL again, isn't that where vanilla flavored ...ex-Uconn HC's end up, LOL !
Ouch!
Blades, just curious. Do you know Tony Hanson? I see the pic and was just wondering.
As I tell my wife...Tony was my first lol. He is the 1st Husky i remember when i was 10...think it was his sr year. And living close to Waterbury (Seymour), my dad actually took me to see him play in HS...but i didn't know it at the time.

Ouch!
Blades, just curious. Do you know Tony Hanson? I see the pic and was just wondering.
As I tell my wife...Tony was my first lol. He is the 1st Husky i remember when i was 10...think it was his sr year. And living close to Waterbury (Seymour), my dad actually took me to see him play in HS...but i didn't know it at the time.

Same here, the Tony Hanson days early/mid 70's days were my first recollection of Uconn hoops, right around the end of the time my Uncle was up there and he knew a bunch of the players. Later my sister was at Uconn as the Perno days were winding down, so I've been a Uconn hoops junkie ever since. One of my HS teammates even played for Calhoun at Northeastern, so I heard plenty about JC.

But I just threw Tony's pic up in honor for those who remember. Tony's 26.0 pts a game season are the most I can ever remember from a Uconn player since. Also like you mentioned Uconn had plenty of players from CT HS's that headed up to Storrs...( alot of names ...Al Weston, Whelton, Jim Abromaitis ( another Waterbury kid) Randy Lavigne, Jeff Carr, then Corny T., Mike McKay, and big Chuck after coming back from UK, Earl Kelly, etc.) But Calhoun came in and took it nationwide and the rest is history, with no complaints here.. I guess I'm just getting old, LOL !

Last edited:
But regarding Edsall, I'm sure he'll get another shot somewhere. Don't think they would ever do it, but with all the off-field problems Rutgers has had, he might be the perfect disciplinarian for the job. As we saw..... any coach who'll throw 5 players off the team for bringing a six-pack to their hotel room.... knows how to lay the groundwork.

But regarding Edsall, I'm sure he'll get another shot somewhere. Don't think they would ever do it, but with all the off-field problems Rutgers has had, he might be the perfect disciplinarian for the job. As we saw..... any coach who'll throw 5 players off the team for bringing a six-pack to their hotel room.... knows how to lay the groundwork.
Interesting you mention Rutgers. Guy at work is a huge Rutgers fan and i had said the other day jokingly that RU would get Edsell to clean up what's going on over there. We, of course, hated that idea since RU is kinda in the mindset of.....we're too big to do something like that, but they're not really in a position to get a top tier HC..esp since they really dont have the quan to pay up for the position. Think they're still waiting for a booster to step up and help out over there...at least until they start getting full payments from the B1G...which is not for a while if im not mistaken.

No disrespect the RU cuz it's really a great academic school, but their AD needs to possess the same magic Lew Perkins had back in the day. Hire an up-n-comer and hopefully make things happen like JC & GA did.

Not sure you've watched any RU games, but i think the big knock on HCKF is that he NEVER takes his starting QB out...no matter what. When things are going bad like they are now for them, sometimes u need to re-evaluate and try something new...

Anyway, yeah i agree...RE will collect is $$$ through, then land somewhere...maybe with in the League or as a DC at a power 5. Gawd knows he wont be hired as an OC....

Same here, the Tony Hanson days early/mid 70's days were my first recollection of Uconn hoops, right around the end of the time my Uncle was up there and he knew a bunch of the players. Later my sister was at Uconn as the Perno days were winding down, so I've been a Uconn hoops junkie ever since. One of my HS teammates even played for Calhoun at Northeastern, so I heard plenty about JC.

But I just threw Tony's pic up in honor for those who remember. Tony's 26.0 pts a game season are the most I can ever remember from a Uconn player since. Also like you mentioned Uconn had plenty of players from CT HS's that headed up to Storrs...( alot of names ...Al Weston, Whelton ,Jim Abromaitis ( another Waterbury kid) Randy Lavigne, Jeff Carr, then Corny T., Mike McKay, and big Chuck after coming back from UK, Earl Kelly, etc.) But Calhoun came in and took it nationwide and the rest is history, with no complaints here.. I guess I'm just getting old, LOL !
The Blades doesn't get old, just better...ha ha
Those names u threw out just gave me chills. But, that was followed by the shivers of all the CT players back in the day that spurned the huskies...all those damn BC players, to Rocket Rod at UCLA, Gminski at Duke, the bear at Nova...and the list went on and on...

until the bleeding was stopped by the one and only JC.

Yeah, I remember watching a bunch of those guys when they were in or left college at a pro-am summer game at the Civic Center. Wes Matthews SR was another one who got away to Wisconsin, Soup Campbell to PC, Sly Williams to Rhody, Charles Smith to Pitt and then there was Rick Mahorn from Weaver who lasted forever in the NBA after he came out of nowhere as a low level recruit from Hampton Inst. There was some serious talent in CT back in the late 70's early 80's and I'm sure I forgot a few...and how did we start a hoops thread on a FB Board , LOL !

Not sure you've watched any RU games, but i think the big knock on HCKF is that he NEVER takes his starting QB out...no matter what. When things are going bad like they are now for them, sometimes u need to re-evaluate and try something new...
Anyway, yeah i agree...RE will collect is $$$ through, then land somewhere...maybe with in the League or as a DC at a power 5. Gawd knows he wont be hired as an OC....

Not really...but between his suspension, his game day stuff and flying over the carnage on the Rutgers board....he seems to be on borrowed time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT