ADVERTISEMENT

2016- Juwan Durham ( New Commit) Rivals # 31

I won't link ESPN but here's some of their info:
Why he committed: "Juwan and Kevin Ollie hit it off from Day 1 when they met last year and he felt so comfortable on his visit this past weekend with the coaches, players and campus," Tampa Prep head coach Joe Fenlon told ESPN. "He liked the fact that UConn was not in a metropolitan area. He also was impressed with the communications program."

What he brings: The No. 38 player in the class of 2016 brings great length, versatility and skill. Durham can handle and shoot to the arc to go along with having excellent body control as he attacks the rim. Durham is also a very good shot blocker and capable multiple-position defender. But his mobility and versatility is what makes him a special talent.

How he fits: The four-star forward will fit Ollie's system perfectly. He will be a matchup problem at the power forward and small forward positions. Durham will be a finisher on the break and a playmaker inside and out within the halfcourt offense. Durham also fits the position-less type of player that Ollie likes to feature. UConn is one of the most versatile teams in the country and that type of environment will be great for Durham to excel in. At times, like in the National Championship game in 2014, Connecticut played two power forwards and that will also be to Durham's advantage.

Who he reminds us of: Durham reminds us of long, lean and skilled former Connecticut forward DeAndre Daniels. Same body type, scoring package and both loaded with untapped potential as incoming freshmen.

The dude looks mobile and tall. Apparently, he can shoot a little as well. Tough to go wrong with that. I've read about a knee injury. Any idea if that is a concern?

"Now Durham is focusing on getting back to full strength after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Feb. 17. He is going through shooting drills and waiting for doctors to clear him to make cuts on the floor. That will likely happen in October, Terrapins coach Joe Fenlon said. "The goal is to have him ready by the time the district tournament rolls around, not at the beginning of the season," Fenlon said. "If he is ready then, that's great. But he's at a good pace now and we're not going to rush him. He has a long career ahead of him."

I think I've mentioned this before, that was probably the worst Uconn moment of my life. I was there in Miami Arena with my dad and about 15,000 Gator fans. If he hits just one FT all they had to do is beat BC ( who they beat about 20 times in a row) in the elite 8 game to get to the final four. Man did that suck along with the trash talkin Gator fans.
I think my worst UCONN moment was something I did on this board. I forget who we were playing. Someone in the NIT I think. Virginia Tech maybe. Anyways, after a poor performance by the team I suggested that Calhoun should retire if that's the way his teams are going to play. I think I was more stressed at work back then...not sure. Regardless, it was a dumb statement.

Beyond my own shameful behavior/comments I'm not sure if the Huskies have provided a bad moment. Even the "bad" moments have been pretty fun. These days I have a more mature outlook on life and our Huskies have consistently added spice to my life. I actually think NCAA basketball could evolve into the P5 against UCONN. That would be way fun for all of us. "Dare to Dream" I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT