ADVERTISEMENT

UConn offers 2016 SG Myles Powell

Interesting offer...CT prep kid (this year?)......looks like a pure shooter..as you said undersized for a SG ( shades of John Gwynn ?) and looks vertically challenged, but who knows ???

Last edited:
Listed at 6'0" by ESPN, he would 2 inches taller than Johnny Gwynn. Sometimes it's good to have a kid like that off the bench. Gwynn was offense off the bench. You only have 5 starting spots, so not all 13 scholarships will go to a starter by simple math:

13-5 = 8.

Over on his instagram, he's got friends telling him that he finally got the offer he wanted, referring to UConn as his dream school. Has to be a good sign for UConn.

Listed at 6'0" by ESPN, he would 2 inches taller than Johnny Gwynn. .

Gwynn who played for the legend Morgan Wootten at Dematha was always listed the same height by Uconn( actually 6' 1/2" his SR year in the team yearbook) ....but that was pushing it like all these guys do with their heights.. He was formerly known by some as the" mini- microwave" as opposed to the first "microwave" -Vinnie Johnson- from the Pistons when

" It became apparent that Gwynn, 6-feet, was that kind of player, too, the kind who could change a game's tenor and tempo by checking in. He didn't start a single one of UConn's 37 games that season, but averaged 10.6 points and had 30 steals. And he was on the Big East's all-tournament team after the win over Syracuse that sent him up the ladder to help cut down the net. "

But as you said it seems like Powell could be the same type, instant offense... as now NCAA referee John Gwynn who does most of his games with the America East and the Colonial Athletic Association.

Gwynn was 5'10" on his tippy toes. But he could score. And he was a very aggressive player. As Blades notes the reason he ended up with the nickname "mini Microwave" is because there was a player with the Detroit Pistons at that time, Vinnie Johnson, who was called "The Microwave" for a similar ability to come in and get instant offense off the bench. Danny Ainge of the Celtics gave him that nickname:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinnie_Johnson

Gwynn was 5'10" on his tippy toes.

But was that in sneakers or barefoot...( LOL! wait that's a different thread)
Gwynn was a little pit bull too....190lbs ..(Hell D-Daniels was that wt.).I know Uconn listed him the same height as Powell is on ESPN and doesn't Powell look as vertically challenged as Gwynn ? I can't ever remember a dunk by him his whole time at Uconn... so hmm, wonder what Powell's real height is..

From ESPN:
Strengths:
Powell is one of the best three-point shooters in the country. He's virtually automatic when his feet are set and already owns range out to the NBA arc. He's very adept at getting his shot off in a number of ways and is equally capable of coming off screens, pulling up from deep off the dribble or finding a spot in transition. He'll make shots in bunches and when he gets going he's one of the few players in the country who can win a game for his team from beyond the three-point line. He's also proven that he can be a high level scorer even as the focal point of opposing defenses, in large part because of his ability to make tough shots.

Weaknesses:
Powell is undersized for the two-guard position and not an explosive athlete. He's going to have constant challenge keeping up with quicker and more athletic guards on the defensive end of the floor and also is never going to blow by anybody off the dribble or play above the rim. His conditioning has gradually improving over the years, but he'll benefit from being in a college weight room on a full time basis and being able to cut-up his frame for the first time. Everything he gets offensively is based on the threat of his jumper and so, for a volume scorer, he doesn't have very many ways to get easy buckets.

Bottom Line:
He doesn't fit the physical or athletic profile of a high-major prospect but he has one special skill that he does as well, if not better, than any other prospect in the country and so he's the exception to the rule.

Was just able to talk with him about the offer and his cut list. Will have an article out tomorrow with quotes from him. To say the least, he's very excited.

Reactions: the Blades
Also noticed Rivals (#142)and 247/CBS Sports( #81) have a big rankings difference, the ESPiN'ers have him at #93:

# 81
1_3721491.jpg
Myles Powell Trenton Central (Trenton, NJ) PG 6-1 185

Last edited:
Kinda looks like he could get in better shape, but he can definitely shoot and he seems to know what to do when the defender is running at him.

If we sign this kid that will be 3 solid players for next year. Seems like a fourth is totally possible. I'm getting ahead of myself, but it's been a few years since we've had a class of four solid players. I'm pretty excited. The last class like this won two championships (some of them did).

Lamb
Bazz
Roscoe
Giffey (I would label Giffey as a project, but definitely solid in the end)
Olander (not so solid at the end)

Again, I'm getting ahead of myself. We only have 2 at the moment.

If we sign this kid that will be 3 solid players for next year. Seems like a fourth is totally possible. I'm getting ahead of myself, but it's been a few years since we've had a class of four solid players. I'm pretty excited. The last class like this won two championships (some of them did).

Lamb
Bazz
Roscoe
Giffey (I would label Giffey as a project, but definitely solid in the end)
Olander (not so solid at the end)

Again, I'm getting ahead of myself. We only have 2 at the moment.
Adams
Gibbs
Miller
Enoch

All in this class, depending on what year you want to classify Larrier, that's 5 for this year or already 3 for 2016

Whatever the class turns out to be I like that the "linkage" and leadership will be spread out among classes....Miller and Gibbs might not be 4 years guys but they are no worse than the one and dones of CBB except they're proven commodities that know how to play D-1 hoops. I remember one of the biggest disappointments both on the court and off the court was the "way to big " 2006 Class.. With AJ Price also playing his first year it was like the blind leading the blind out there. Calhoun called it "no linkage" as this story pointed out in 2007 : * Men's Basketball: Linkage - UCONN and then it was also a disaster off the court with the APR as this article points out * "UConn's losing two scholarships; the NCAA will say it's about bad academics but it's really about bad basketball " You need great leadership, and great followership." - Tom Izzo says as the newbies learn the ropes....KO seems to be creating good linkage between his classes and also creating foreseeable opportunity for the players who come in as they learn OTJ.

Last edited:
Oz and others what are you guys hearing? When we offered I heard he was a major uconn lean. The new news is pitt leads. Any insight

Not sure. I'm not really following his recruitment that much. Diallo may reclass so obviously he is our top SG

He just cut his list from 8 to 5 and we are on it along with Pitt, Seton Hall, DePaul & VCU (lol).

Would love me a 3 point marksmen. Haven't had a true one since Rashad.

He just cut his list from 8 to 5 and we are on it along with Pitt, Seton Hall, DePaul & VCU (lol).

Would love me a 3 point marksmen. Haven't had a true one since Rashad.

I heard a few weeks ago we where a lock. But I think i,got bad info. Pitt sounds like the leader

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT