ADVERTISEMENT

The Fall and Rise of UConn Basketball

Crank2

Feb 19, 2020
2020 will be known as the year in which the rise after the fall began, in earnest, for UConn Basketball. It is the year in which the Huskies have packed up their tents and begun the long departure from the desert of the AAC. The trek has been arduous, to be sure. Two key members of the team have suffered season ending injuries. A star freshman lost out on four games due to early legal trouble. A junior center coming off a most-improved-player year is well out in front for the less coveted greatest-regression booby prize. A senior point guard failed to develop into the mature leader that every UConn fan hoped he would become. A half dozen razor-edged losses have dulled the shine on what once promised to produce UConn's first tournament appearance in the years since the former coach began his demolition of the house that Calhoun built.
Through that haze of snake bites, however, there is a definite point of light, which has grown steadily in intensity as the 2019/2020 has progressed. The brightness is fueled by both the expected and unexpected emergence of new and veteran players, as well as the continued dependable play of the team leader, Christian Vital. Vital has supplied the lifeblood of the team this season, leading by example with his relentless play on the court, his mature and considered comments off the court, and his hard wired will to win. Vital has, no doubt, influenced the development of several of his teammates, including Isiah Whaley, who, ironically, is in contention for the AAC most improved player award. Whaley, like Vital, brings irrepresible energy to the team, and has worked himself into a fierce defender and rebounder. Jalen Gaffney has developed into a point guard who is not, unlike virtually every other member of the team, prone to turnovers. His development suggests that he will be a wonderful four year, pass-first point guard who will boast a high assist-to-turnover ratio, excellent defense, and scoring when available. Jalen Gaffney is exactly the type of guard who can be a leader on a team that makes a deep tournament run.
James Bouknight has also, due in substantial part to injuries, emerged as the team's go-to scorer. His talent is undeniable, and Dan Hurley will, no doubt, push young James to improve his ball control and defense, which, when so improved, will result in significant NBA interest in Bouknight.
Adding to the brightness that is now UConn future is the improved play of Tyler Polley immediately before he sustained a season-ending ACL injury. He will return in 2020, and will provide a deadly outside shooting touch.
Finally, the Huskies will add at least four players to the squad next summer, including RJ Cole, Richie Springs, Javonte Brown-Furguson, and Andre Jackson. The first two are already with the team, and are integrating into the Dan Hurley system of basketball. The last two are a 7 footer and an athletic phenom.
There are those who see five overtime losses and several other closely contested, but lost, games, and announce, "what is there to like about this team? That they try hard and lose?" There is a deep irony that the false fan who asked the question, and then answered it, was half right. What there is to like about this team is the fact that they try so hard. They have, with rare exceptions, bought into the Dan Hurley system of basketball. To dislike a team that is giving everything that it has, every game, while shorthanded and lacking reliable three point shooting, because they have lost several close games, is missing the beauty of the sport. UConn has overperformed this year, which is a year in which the 1st half was waged with a point guard who could not throw it in the proverbial ocean and was prone to constant turnovers and in which the 2nd half has been waged with a freshman point guard who was forced into service via trial by fire.
This team reminds one of those that Calhoun coached in this first few years at the helm - underpowered, but tenacious and regularly overperforming by outwilling their opponents.
The long interregnum after Calhoun is over.
The ascension of the Husky has begun.

Last edited:
Reactions: permit22
Welcome to the party. You sound a lot like a former poster here.

I think we are ONE more recruit away from next year being special. Cole and Jackson with Bouk could be something crazy but would like one more special kid to join that 4-some.

Gaff to me isnt a great PG, reminds me of a Craig Austrie type at best. Not bad but I dont see a lot of talent in Gaff just yet. Cole is the key at PG next year, end of story.

Dom, I think Gaf will be better than Austrie.

That being said, the cold water on the future is will Bouk and Akok ever play together in a Husky uniform again after the Achilles injury? I was starting to think if the transfer PG was the real deal next year, we could make a serious run. But it appears that Akok may not even get to play.

That being said, it’s definitely moving in the right direction.

Welcome to the party. You sound a lot like a former poster here.

I think we are ONE more recruit away from next year being special. Cole and Jackson with Bouk could be something crazy but would like one more special kid to join that 4-some.

Gaff to me isnt a great PG, reminds me of a Craig Austrie type at best. Not bad but I dont see a lot of talent in Gaff just yet. Cole is the key at PG next year, end of story.
Haven't posted here, IIRC, since the split in 04ish. May have logged in a few times here and there. Don't recall.
I agree that, if we can add one more high level recruit, transfer, Juco, or whatever, we could be deep and dangerous next year.
I completely disagree on Gaffney. I think Gaffney is already much better than Austrie ever was.
My recollection of Austrie was that he was the 3rd guard on a team that had an injury (AJ maybe?) and was forced into a starting role. I remember him having trouble dribbling against top level defense, and I recall him having below average skills across the board. To be clear ,he was hugely important to the team when he played, and he was a warrior, and I'm not ripping him, I just remember him as being in over his head, for the most part, and that was him as a senior.
Gaffney, OTOH, has already impressed me as being very competent with the ball. He doesn't make many freshman type mistakes. Sure, he seems hesitant at times, and he hasn't yet wowed with his athleticism, but the guy had 9 assists to 3 TOs last night, while getting the lion's share at point. Played good defense. Didn't take any terrible shots (1 was an end-of-clock heave). I have a feeling Gaffney will end up having a notable career at UConn.

Dom, I think Gaf will be better than Austrie.

That being said, the cold water on the future is will Bouk and Akok ever play together in a Husky uniform again after the Achilles injury? I was starting to think if the transfer PG was the real deal next year, we could make a serious run. But it appears that Akok may not even get to play.

That being said, it’s definitely moving in the right direction.

Very good chance not. If Bouk progresses into his 2nd year, he will very likely be gone thereafter. He has NBA level talent. Once it's clear that he can produce regularly, he's a 1st round pick.

I think Cole will end up being a very solid point. I don't believe that Hurley would have brought him in if that wasn't the case. If you look at the guys who Hurley has brought in, each has shown excellent development and/or natural talent, and each, with the exception of Bouk, is an excellent defender. Adams, Akok, Gaffney - all tough Defenders. Gaff and Adams have shown excellent growth since they arrived. Bouk has shown excellent improvement on O. Akok, obviously, was having a very good year and has tremendous natural talent. Point is, I trust Hurley to bring in talent. Every guy so far has been a good pick. No reason to think that RJ Cole and Springs will not also be nice pieces.
Regarding Akok, he has a completely torn Achilles. He will likely not even be fully active for a year. Hard to imagine that they would bring him back for the last 1/4 of the season next year, but, at his age, I suppose it's possible. I could see him coming back for light duty, if cleared, at the end of next year, then putting in one more year of college, then bolting.
Who knows, while terrible, it may end up creating a very tough team in 2 seasons.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Gaffney is definitely better than Austrie ever was. He is an assists guy but also is a smooth shooter. He will be a lot better next year. The main reason the team has played better since AG has been benched is Gaffney. He plays under control and doesn’t attempt the reckless drives in traffic which AG was always doing.

Crank, I think a guy like Akok could blend seamlessly late in the year, because he doesn’t need the ball to impact the game.

Make a run next year.

It will be interesting to see if Gilbert comes back as a bench player. Not likely.

Crank, I think a guy like Akok could blend seamlessly late in the year, because he doesn’t need the ball to impact the game.

Make a run next year.

It will be interesting to see if Gilbert comes back as a bench player. Not likely.
If he's able to play at full bore, I think we see Akok late next year. The only issue for him is whether he wants to burn a year of eligibility to play a very limited number of games. Again, he's an older player, and I'm sure he doesn't consider himself a 4 year, so, it's entirely possible we'll see him in February 2021.
If there is room, and there is no better recruit for the team, I'd like to see AG back, if only to play 5 minutes a game as the 3rd point guard. That said, I can't imagine that AG wants to come back in that capacity if he has any aspirations about playing pro ball somewhere. Unless the kid really likes being in college, it makes no sense to stay a year to play spot minutes. Given his inability to improve his control of the offense over the last two years, I'd consider it a small miracle if he was able to come back and A) shoot effectively, B) drive effectively C) dish effectively, and D) make good end-game decisions. For whatever reason, the guy's mental game did not develop in his time at UConn. Blame the former coach, blame the kid, blame DH, blame bad luck . . . it doesn't matter. It is what it is.

I remember a very pointed interaction that I had with another Internet poster last summer. I said that CV was the most important player on the team, not AG, because AG was injury prone and had not shown that he could lead the team and be an effective point. Guy said something like, "you don't know anything about basketball, AG is an AA, blah blah blah." Well, I'll put a check in my "saw that one coming" column. Not that my "didn't see that one coming" column doesn't have a lot of checks in it. It does. But I felt pretty comfortable that AG wasn't going to turn the corner.

Given his inability to improve his control of the offense over the last two years, I'd consider it a small miracle if he was able to come back and A) shoot effectively, B) drive effectively C) dish effectively, and D) make good end-game decisions. For whatever reason, the guy's mental game did not develop in his time at UConn. Blame the former coach, blame the kid, blame DH, blame bad luck . . . it doesn't matter. It is what it is.

+1000......the " hope" we discussed on this board last summer, regarding Gilbert, on all of the above, turned out to be a massive FAIL !... AG is the reason Uconn lost so many close games this year.... by himself he cost the team 8-10 (or more) empty possessions a game on top of his crap FT shooting in close games. DH's stubbornness & anointing him after Charleston destroyed any chance of a good season which I saw 2-3 months ago, but unfortunately, DH (to much loyalty) didn't accept that narrative until (the Tulsa 2 OT game) recently, like the Memphis win where Gilbert only played 4 minutes the entire second half......

AL's a hard worker and a good kid from all accounts, but that doesn't mean you have a clue sometimes as a lead ( now SR) PG or even as his former coach. We've seen both those things from UConn BB since AG has been around.....On top of AG's limited size/ over rated handle he thinks he can attempt the same losing plays he forces over and over, as he gets swallowed up by any good D.... Plain and simple, like Dyson, AG is an addition by subtraction.....I hope he's smart enough to see the writing on the wall, graduates from Uconn in the spring and finds a mid major program, which is more at his level, for his post grad year ....where he can start fresh......

p. s. Whaley isn't good enough to play at this level.....;)

Last edited:
...I hope he's smart enough to see the writing on the wall, graduates from Uconn in the spring and finds a mid major program, which is more at his level, for his post grad year ....where he can start fresh......
Well, I was also a bit puzzled by why Hurley went with him for so long. I suppose it may be as simple as DH believing that the only way we were going to make a tourni run is if AG broke out his slump. If he believed that, and that putting in Gaffney was equivalent to giving up on the NCAAs, then it makes sense why he did it. In a way.

Gilbert just didn’t pan out as a recruit, partly due to injuries and partly due to not being able to adjust to the college game. I don’t think he is a high IQ player, and the lower IQ guys get to this level sometimes with lots of talent physically but can’t adapt to the college game. Anyway not every recruit is going to pan out. Indeed many of Calhoun’s recruits were busts- Ajou Ajou Deng, Justin Brown, Ater Majok, Uri Cohen Mintz, to name just a few. All these guys were highly touted. There were also some touted guards like Covington Cormier, Monquencio Hardnett and Darius Smith (?) from Chicago, not sure if that was his name but that kid was terrible. Calhoun flat told the kid he couldn’t play and ran him off the team, he was just really really bad. Walk on level talent. In fact the last 3 guys I mentioned were all worse players than Gilbert is. Which shows how spoiled UConn fans have become that they forget about these past failures of recruiting.

. There were also some touted guards like Covington Cormier, Monquencio Hardnett and Darius Smith (?) from Chicago, not sure if that was his name but that kid was terrible. Calhoun flat told the kid he couldn’t play and ran him off the team, he was just really really bad. Walk on level talent. In fact the last 3 guys I mentioned were all worse players than Gilbert is. Which shows how spoiled UConn fans have become that they forget about these past failures of recruiting.
So true. I remember Darius Smith. Dude looked so lost when he got a few minutes. Worse yet, remember Jamaal Trice? Oh my lord, worse! Tough year recruiting for Calhoun. Of course, he got Shabazz that year, and D-Bev, so all was not lost. Lol.

So true. I remember Darius Smith. Dude looked so lost when he got a few minutes. Worse yet, remember Jamaal Trice? Oh my lord, worse! Tough year recruiting for Calhoun.

I went and researched what happened to these 2 guys after they both transferred from UConn after the 2009-2010 season. Trice went on to a decent career at Appalachian State and averaged around 8-9 ppg for them his final 2 years. Darius Smith never played a minute of Division 1 college hoops after he left UConn. That had to be the most unproductive guard recruiting class in Calhoun's and maybe UConn's history. Also, Smith was an All City and All State player out of Chicago and was Captain of the all city and all state teams after averaging 23.0 ppg, 7.0 apg and 6 rpg. He was a much bigger bust than AG. A historical bust.

BTW Napier was a freshman the next year when UConn won the title.

Last edited:
Also, Smith was an All City and All State player out of Chicago and was Captain of the all city and all state teams after averaging 23.0 ppg, 7.0 apg and 6 rpg. He was a much bigger bust than AG. A historical bust.

BTW Napier was a freshman the next year when UConn won the title.
Whoops! You're right about Napier. My bad!
The Darius Smith thing is reaaaaally odd. How does that ever happen? It wasn't like he was a huge physical specimen who, as we often see, used his sheer size to dominate in HS but couldn't work within the speed of the college game. Just weird.

So true. I remember Darius Smith. Dude looked so lost when he got a few minutes. Worse yet, remember Jamaal Trice? Oh my lord, worse! Tough year recruiting for Calhoun. Of course, he got Shabazz that year, and D-Bev, so all was not lost. Lol.

TRICE! Man, forgot about him. Nice reference.

Gaff to me, while I get that he is a freshman, plays a lot more scared than Austrie did. Gaff literally panics and slows WAY DOWN just bringing the ball over half court. Watch him.....its a legit scare that he will turn it over every single time any team puts even marginal pressure on him. That is why I am worried and not as high on him as some are. I love the guy and do think he can mature but I also think that Cole who was in the running for an All American distinction is light years ahead of him. I hope Gaff takes a back seat next year to Cole and takes over at PG the year after as a JR while getting good minutes behind Cole.

Well, I was also a bit puzzled by why Hurley went with him for so long. I suppose it may be as simple as DH believing that the only way we were going to make a tourni run is if AG broke out his slump. If he believed that, and that putting in Gaffney was equivalent to giving up on the NCAAs, then it makes sense why he did it. In a way.
I hear ya.....To me it wasn't that puzzling, when we consider Gaffney had that foot /high ankle injury which was a huge setback missing the whole pre-season. It's bad enough to come back to get to full strength physically, but especially for a FR/ PG trying to learn to run a team. So DH was kind of stuck with "Reckless AL" and tried to have his back while Gaf was getting healthy and learning on the fly.... Unfortunately Gilbert is too low an IQ a player to understand that because the coach has your back.... it doesn't mean you should be rushing repeatedly into horrible spots with the ball, throwing passes into the stands because of that .........or shooting your team out of games. ( like vs. St Joe's)....

But I thought after the Buffalo game early in the year when Uconn played better when AG got banged up, had to sit out and they ran away from a tight game with Adams running the point... it might of been a clue for DH. Like you said DH must of convinced himself AG turning things around was the only path to the NCAA's. Which has now proven to be a massive fail, because Uconn plays better without AG, than with him. I also noticed a trend early in the year that the more reckless Gilbert gets with the ball, the more CV did too, because it's like CV doesn't trust him... so it created two guys trying to take turns playing hero ball... who can't.

Difference with CV is if he sticks to his strengths ( rebounding, D, FT shooting, spot up 3's, chills with the reckless drives) he has enough in his game to be a plus - plus player. And he's gotten better at that over 4 years, solely because of Hurley......Regarding Gaffney walking the ball up the court, playing under control, settling the team down, that's exactly what you want from a PG in tight games....not Reckless Al...

Reckless Al almost did it again today late in the 2nd half ( at about 6 mins left ) but DH yanked AG on the spot, after he threw a cement head pass to nobody into the stands. Not so coincidentally a close 4 point game went to a double figure lead in the next few minutes and Uconn closed out a relatively easy finish vs. USF with Gilbert on the bench.

Also some fans forget the late start Gaffney had because of his injury and that he was a ESPN top 100 player.....a bigger PG with his athleticism is nice to work with...

Hurley said what Gaf's already giving him as a FR is money in the bank.... in his post game below (7:20 mark)..."Jalen's been awesome....... he's playing well enough as a FR to win in a very difficult league" ... also talks about flashes of what he's gonna be able to do after another off season in the strength program ".......

Last edited:
Reactions: Crank2
Blades - agreed. That AG pass where he threw it 3 feet behind Bouk was maddeningly stupid. I have no idea how he can still be doin that at this late stage of his career. UG!

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Interesting on Gilbert. Should tell us something about what Gilbert thinks of his chances of getting any minutes next year behind Cole and Gaffney.

It should not be about getting minutes at this point, it should be about being the best 5th guard he can be and supporting his teammates. We should not define players by their selfishness but rather by what they can do. He would be the best 5th guard UConn has had since E.J. Harrison.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
It does make sense for him to go to a team that (a) has an opening and PT for an experienced point guard and (b) plays an uptempo style of play. That being said, as Seth Greenberg noted last night, Gilbert is a better shooting guard than a point guard. His point guard play is hampered by poor decisions and TOs caused by driving into traffic and not having patience to make better plays. However he has had moments and games when he has been restrained and has contributed, like last night with 5 assists and no TOs and some very good passes. He is also very good in the open court so long as he doesn’t have to drive into traffic.

Reactions: the Blades
It does make sense for him to go to a team that (a) has an opening and PT for an experienced point guard and (b) plays an uptempo style of play. That being said, as Seth Greenberg noted last night, Gilbert is a better shooting guard than a point guard. His point guard play is hampered by poor decisions and TOs caused by driving into traffic and not having patience to make better plays. However he has had moments and games when he has been restrained and has contributed, like last night with 5 assists and no TOs and some very good passes. He is also very good in the open court so long as he doesn’t have to drive into traffic.
There's a home for Gilbert out there somewhere. Next year, if he stays at UConn, he'll get close to zero minutes. He's just not smart with the ball, and you can't have that and win. The minutes would be much better spent on Gaff/Cole/Adams, heck, I'd even give Sid a shot at the 2, if he's still here.
I believe that DH will give Al great advice on where to go to get PT an have an impact. Probably at a school in the 100 or higher NET range.

Reactions: the Blades
Gilbert is from Georgia and he might do well at one of those small southern schools like Gardner-Webb, or Murray State or Kennesaw State. KSU is in Georgia.

Not much new, just recycled stuff from Hurley's presser, but Dom at the Courant writes an article:

Although it would be nice if AG stayed and eclipsed E.J. Harrison as the best 5th guard in the rotation in UConn history, he probably should let E.J. keep that honor. He is better than E.J., and could find success with the right team playing the right style. I think AG needs a full court style of play. He could be a lot better also assuming the Hurley coaching has improved his decision making, which it seems it has. His passing in recent games has impressed me. Not enough that he should be on the Court in crunch time, but he has been better coming off the bench.

Reactions: Crank2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT