ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Rumours

" Maryland and Wisconsin in the lead. "

Yeah I thought Uconn was out of it for awhile now....with Maryland/Under Armour implications making it down to his
hometown team and them.....also mentions the class rankings and 35th for Wiscy on 24/7. I was surprised that 24/7
has Uconn ranked #20 right now with only 2 commits:
2015 Basketball Recruiting Team Rankings - 247Sports
This post was edited on 3/23 6:26 PM by the Blades

Ollie needs to make a hard late push on Stone. I didn't think he was necessary as a recruit but after watching the team perform this year I have to say the 4-5 positions are in DIRE NEED of upgrade. Not 1, but maybe 2 recruits are needed in addition to Enoch. Enoch I have to believe is a likely starter unless we are seeing mirages on his mixtapes. Stone will also start and relegate Brimah to the bench where he might even be more effective playing less minutes with his fouling issues.

If we are out on Stone we are in for another VERY frustrating year but one that we can hope to see momentum build. There are not other big's left to go after are there ?

To me Enoch is a starter next year but he seems quite and quite scares me in a big guy. We need energy guys, watching the tourney just shows how far away our front court is athletically, skillfully and mentally. Our bigs are literally terrible. I still have hopes for Birmah and Lubin but not next year.

why are you guys quitting on Stone? You think Ollie is as much a quitter as you guys? You think he gives up the push because someone wrote some BS on twitter? You push until a guy tells you no. UConn needs Stone and if and when Stone tells Ollie no, man to man, then we need to find two other good players up front.

Khalid,

I've been seeing this more and more on twitter and our chances dwindled ever since he pushed off his decision until the spring. I've also heard that he has some very real academic issues at the moment. Just like us with Derrick Jones and XRM, we pumped the brakes when we got any wind of academic issues. Not saying that is 100% the reason why we are slipping in this race but I wouldn't get your hopes up on Stone.

We had a solid window where we were the popular pick for him but we couldn't close on him in the early signing period. Realistically I would love to see Bruce Brown reclassify and we lock him up, Stone seems like a real long shot at this rate.

As bad as it sounds our horrible year coupled with #1 seed for hometown Wisconsin to succeed Frank the Tank and a big time bounce year from UMD in the B1G with Melo Trimble & UA affiliation, we have lost our luster in this chase

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:

To me Enoch is a starter next year but he seems quite and quite scares me in a big guy
. We need energy guys, watching the tourney just shows how far away our front court is athletically, skillfully and mentally. Our bigs are literally terrible. I still have hopes for Birmah and Lubin but not next year.
Do you mean quiet ? couldn't tell what you are referring to.....just one more thing to remember about Enoch
is he is extremely young. He will only be 17 years old this fall semester at Uconn, even though he's been playing
with post grads, so the coaching staff will need to be patient with him.

This post was edited on 3/23 6:27 PM by the Blades

yes I meant Quiet

Good to know on his age, I hadn't remembered that. He looks very talented and an upgrade to the curretn squad.

Smh.

We are in desperate NEED FOR A BIG and pg.

I love Al Tarique visiting e should be our Pg for 2016 but we need a 5th year badly.

I am just disgusted at some of these assistants with regards to recruiting!!!

Ozzie I agree with you on the desperate need for a big and a PG. I think two bigs are needed in addition to Enoch.

It's to late in the game, to get quality IMHO....remember the last spring reach when AO, Drummond and
Roscoe left...was Phil Nolan...nuff said. A 5th year rental is probably the only way to go at this point....
don't need anymore 3 year projects.... might as well find someone who already knows how to play the
game right or hold off to 2016.....
Alterique Gilbert from GA ????
looks like a nice little PG out of the Boatright mold...if nothing else he's been a consistent shooter:
55 % 3pt'ers....76% Ft's over 3 years
Alterique Gilbert's (Lithonia, GA) Basketball Stats

This post was edited on 3/24 5:23 PM by the Blades

Al Tarique is a beast. He reminds me of a Omar Cook body wise and Andre Barrett. Strong kid. He is our number one pg for 2016!

Yeah..def ' got that stronger look for a small PG and some good hops..good call on a couple of old BE guys...

This post was edited on 3/24 6:47 PM by the Blades

I think we could use Tyler Harris from Providence or even Shon Miller from Cornell. Miller is a little smaller but dude put up eye popping numbers he could be a glue guy. Or go Juco route for a big. I keep telling them and giving them kids let's see which way they go! As far as PG the same... Just need a solid veteran rental. Anthony Collins would be perfect from USF but I believe within conference he still has to sit out a year... Actually can someone find that out please.... Does 5th year have to sit out if within conference??? Thx!

Harris is a 10 points and 4 boards guy with a very high FT% and a very low FG%, which suggests to me that he takes a lot of bad shots or loves himself too many jumpshots. That is not what we need. We want a low post guy who can do some work and score easy baskets, give me a freaking break with that .420 FG%, that sucks. By comparison Facey shot 54% and Nolan shot 47%. Only way Harris is shooting way lower than those guys is taking perimeter shots. Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56368/tyler-harris

Yeah..... then I saw the 2.1 ....a little better the year B4......but ultimately my mind drifted to what is this guy
the mini microwave John Gwynn ? .... who didn't even average an assist a game( 81-96 games) his entire
Uconn career, LOL !
This post was edited on 3/30 4:26 PM by the Blades

I think UConn needs ballhandlers and distributors, not gunners. GTFOOH with that 0.9 assists per game, he is a 6'1" shooting guard. UConn already has too many guards with not enough assists.

Weren't you the guy sniveling all year that Uconn doesn't have enough 3pt shooters ? It's all moot anyway because he's probably looking for a starting spot since he was V-Tech's leading scorer..... but the only guy on Uconn's roster that shot it anywhere close to this kid from 3 is Boatright and he's gone 2014-15 Statistics .....so make up your Fruckin' mind
laugh.r191677.gif
!

We points and defense. I'll take the kid if he can play D. He can take the starting 2 if you ask me.

Yeah, UConn does need a 3 point shooter too. If he can handle a little I would give him a look but I would have a talk with him about that 0.9 assists per game, WTF is that for a point guard.

Only 26 TO's in almost 1000 minutes is also a nice stat too, especially when Omar turns it over every time he bounces
it more than 2 times and when you look at nervous Purvis's TO's in about the same time...but who knows what all
these numbers mean until you see someone in the flow of the game.....also career 79% on FT's isn't a bad thing...
This post was edited on 3/30 2:14 PM by the Blades

Yea already mentioned Damien Lee. Maryland and Providence beat us to the punch but yea we should be in there with him!!

This post was edited on 3/30 8:34 PM by Ozzie3178

Thanks Blades
I could be wrong, but i watched VT a few times and they run a lot of pick n rolls. They're a horrible offensive team and it looked to me like the Wilson kid was more of a lead guard than Smith. Look, if Smith can shoot and defend, and he meshes with the team and is willing to play within KO's system, i'm all for it.

On a side note, i'm hearing some rumblings about Purvis. Now, i had heard this prior to him leaving NC State, but i'm hearing it again...that he's not the most well-liked player. Now, i'm getting this from a guy who works in the NBA world, but supposedly has some UC ties. I was just wondering if anyone...Ozzie :) has heard this or can confirm. Nothing takes a struggling team down another notch than bad chemistry. Again, just hearing it thru the grapevine.

Shaggy yea he is a bit of a cancer bro to be honest but he has worked hard thanks to KO and he loves it here so he should do a 180 with that next year..... Hopefully be the leader we need badly!

Ozzie, to say that anything is a "bit of a cancer" is a somewhat odd statement to make, since cancers that are not treated will grow and become life-sucking inside any living organism. Cancers must be treated - radiation, chemotherapy and the like. You can't say someone is a bit of a cancer and let it be. If you let it be, it will grow and destroy.

All this being said and not knowing what is said behind the scenes, I have seen no evidence of Purvis being a cancer out on the court. I had thought his problems at NC State were due to a late season benching from Gottfried. The benching had to do with his on court play - issues we have seen at UConn, like TOs, bad decisions, bad shots and poor handle. One can understand and appreciate if Purvis has a high level of frustration because he was a highly rated recruit and he is blessed with great physical talent. It's not unprecedented that such talent eventually develops and the frustration level declines. Let's hope that is all it is. I assume Ozzie knows more than I do, but hopefully in the future, WINNING + BETTER PRODUCTIVITY = GOOD ATTITUDE in the case of Purvis.

This post was edited on 3/31 2:03 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

KSTW lets just say he has shown... problematic, not always practicing hard blaming minor aches or pains etc...

The thing I didn't like about Purvis is how he reacted selfishly after he was fouled hard this year. Maybe it was because of the anxiety of having to shoot ft's, but he came off as immature and a prima Donna.

Originally posted by CaNOLEE:
The thing I didn't like about Purvis is how he reacted selfishly after he was fouled hard this year. Maybe it was because of the anxiety of having to shoot ft's, but he came off as immature and a prima Donna.
I wouldn't call that a selfish act. He does sustain hard fouls and that's due to his attacking style of play and the one you are referring to he got destroyed and he flew into the base of the hoop. It was a clean hard foul but why the nitpicking on a guy reacting in the heat of the moment, it's not like he hurt his team or picked up a T.

Now Oz says Purvis wasn't the best teammate, I choose not to refer to him as a cancer, but that was also floated about Bazz in his sophmore year. For better or for worse Purvis will be one of the leaders on and off the court for us next year. I loved his enthusiasm and progression he showed on the hardwood towards the end of the season and let's hope that KO and staff can continue to better him as a player, leader and young man.

We will need a better all around Rodney next year if we want to get back to the Big Dance

Originally posted by Silk31:

He does sustain hard fouls and that's due to his attacking style of play
This is definitely true of Purvis. His style of play is to drive to the hole and he invites and initiates a lot of contact so hard fouls are going to happen and sometimes in heat of the moment when you are slammed midair and your body hurled into stanchion it is not going to feel good. I don't recall seeing body language from Purvis that was inappropriate.

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:

This is definitely true of Purvis. His style of play is to drive to the hole and he invites and initiates a lot of contact so hard fouls are going to happen and sometimes in heat of the moment when you are slammed midair and your body hurled into stanchion it is not going to feel good. I don't recall seeing body language from Purvis that was inappropriate.
If anything Boatright was the one who showed some bad body language on the court at times last year. He became visibly frustrated with the refs and at times it was justified but you have to power pass the zebras and undertsnad that the rest of the players are looking to you to take your lead. I think this was one of Boat's shortcomings as he wasn't a natural leader but he did try his best

Purvis went after a few guys and it could have cost us a technical or even an ejection, that's why I think it was selfish. Winning is the ultimate F-U. Dyson also played recklessly and drove the paint like a kamikaze pilot. But I never saw him go after anyone.

As for Boat, he guarded until his feet bled last year and helped us win a ship, so he gets some slack in my book. Purvis
Has a long way to go, but I'm not giving up on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT