ADVERTISEMENT

Hamilton, bad shots and team play....

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
What has happened to Daniel Hamilton in the last 3 games ? He went from one of the best passers to one of the worst decision makers/ bad shot takers overnight. He's always made a few TO's that the team can live with because he's trying to make plays to benefit his teammates. Now suddenly... since Texas.... he's taken more bad shots.... forced more head down BS into traffic..... or just plain rushed shots than he's done all year.

I recall ESPN's color guy Fran Fraschilla ( the tarnished former St. John's coach) in the Texas game basically telling him to shoot more and it's great that you can set up your team mates, blah, blah, blah ! Did this get back to Hamilton from his inner circle off court ? If it did him and his circle are very misinformed. Grabbing a rebound and going end to end to throw up some hail mary BS is dumb basketball. Especially after YOUR TEAM MATES just busted ass playing 30 seconds of defense to get the ball. You don't just go flying down and shoot up a prayer without working the rock.... because it's a team killer..... Anyone who's ever played HS hoops or organized ball can remember that ball hog who would just grab it and once he did you knew it wasn't even worth running down the court because the guy would never give it up..so eventually you stop running and working.

And I'm not saying don't try to push it.... always do..... if something is there on a 2-1 or 3-2 man advantage you try to work that into a lay-up/ high % shot.... Kemba was the best at pushing it down the court and stopping on a dime when nothing was there....it's what I like to call creating tempo for your team... to not only get his team mates set up to run offense.. but to also give them a break since they just busted ass on D.....These off to races forays or rushed bad shots are becoming an issue and 3 or 4 a game can be the difference between winning and losing.......Also I'd love to see more Calhoun out of Ollie in some of these in-game teaching moments.....I go to the games.... I've watched the bench for over 25 years and JC spent way more time on his feet or demanding perfection of his players and of every call from the refs as a 70 year old than KO does. It's not something a coach would do in the NBA, but these are 18-19 year old college kids alot of times and they need it.

But we need to see D-Ham start creating tempo for this team. His handle, his vision and his passing can become contagious. Purvis will never be great off the dribble and is much better when he's reeled in and under control, Gibbs tries to pick his spots but he has limitations, Adams has the quickness and I've seen good vision in spurts but it's still at the potential stage as a PG leader... and Omar when he comes in should never dribble, he's a TO waiting to happen. But again it's D-Ham, the point forward...... who has the best overall skill set and can be the difference maker(leader) as to where this team goes or if this will be a repeat of last season. With 2 tough road games coming up he's got to turn around what he's been doing for 3 games now because he's better than that.... and he's been keeping his opponents in the game... as much as he's been helping Uconn.

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of him being in a funk, his lob buddy Brimah being out and team's figuring out how to play him. I would dare him to shoot from the outside and actually make a couple before I get up and contest him. He is far more dangerous off the bounce and I think it's common knowledge that he would rather pump fake than shoot the ball.

He seems to be pressing over these last few games but he's way too good a player to let this snowball much further. This is a big week for our team as we have to take care of business against Tulsa and Houston. For us to have a good shot at 2-0 we will need DHam to return to form

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Good point about AB....I was going to mention that but I was already writing a book..... Brimah is a big factor and part of it too, like you said defenders down low can now sluff off of their man to jam up D-Ham when he gets to the paint. So it's another adjustment, but he's so good at penetrating and drawing attention, I've seen a bunch of times that he forgets he has guys at the 3 pt line that are wide open. I'd love him to turn into a version of Magic Johnson the way he handles the rock at 6-8. He's the best facilitator so even if his shot isn't falling the team needs more of that.

Last edited:
Brimah being out has affected Hamilton's play because the mere threat of that lob pass for easy dunk or layup forces the defense to defend against it which opens up other gaps in the defense. In the last 3 games Hamilton has connected on exactly one of those kinds of passes with Facey who managed a twisting acrobatic layin. The same pass is maybe dunked by Brimah. In any event Hamilton has had less open to him passing so he has started driving and taking bad shots. Ozzie mentioned he has not been on balance taking these shots. They look like bunnies but he is getting thrown off by contact and it's also snowballing on him mentally as the frustration shows in his body language. UConn escaped the last game with a win despite horrible play by Hamilton and general poor play by the rest of the team save Gibbs. On the one hand I like that UConn got the win but the team looked bad especially on defense and rebounding. Facey does his best but he is painfully outmuscled in most of his matchups at the 5. It is painful for me to watch-it's like watching a neighbor 's bigger dog beat on your dog. I feel like it's coming that teams will try to post and pound on him. He is going to be worn down in the post with fouls every game.

When will Brimah be back??????

Last edited:
Brimah being out has affected Hamilton's play because the mere threat of that lob pass for easy dunk or layup forces the defense to defend against it which opens up other gaps in the defense. In the last 3 games Hamilton has connected on exactly one of those kinds of passes with Facey who managed a twisting acrobatic layin. The same pass is maybe dunked by Brimah.

When will Brimah be back??????

I may of heard something about Valentine's day but:

David Borges ‏@DaveBorges 1h1 hour ago
Kevin Ollie says Amida Brimah progressing well, lifting weights, etc. no basketball activities yet, though.

I was just reading that UConn's bench has been outscored 112-44 in the last 5 games and UConn has been outrebounded in all 4 AAC conference games.

What I really do not understand is the rebounding. This team should be much better than it is on the boards. The article also discusses the zone D being due in part to manage chronic foul problems of the bigs as we saw last night plus the lack of any rim protection with Brimah out. All of this makes the team vulnerable to good shooting teams and teams that execute well against zone.

The Courant article also discussed shot selection and noted that the failure of the guards to penetrate and finish is the biggest culprit here. UConn does not have guards who finish drives well- none of them do.

The Hartford Courant's post-Tulsa analysis is that the team looks headed for another NIT.

Last edited:
This is not looking good guys.........Brimah isnt that big of a reason to be held to these low scoring numbers.

Huskies Look To Re-Establish Themselves Against Houston

"Just do other things, [stop worrying] about your shot," Ollie said, offering a way out of the wilderness for Hamilton. "He's been having great practices, and it's not him taking shots, it's taking great shots. He's missed some wide-open threes, I mean wide-open. I want him to take that shot. He takes those shots, we're going to live with it, he's one of the best players in America. It's the contested ones I don't like. It's going to the basket and getting the shot blocked. He's 6-7; he should not go to the basket and get his shot blocked. That was a crucial exchange, we were up by six. "When he was good, he was making plays for others. It doesn't matter if Amida's not here, you still have other guys you can make plays for. Don't just put all the pressure on yourself."

KO is right, that blocked shot on Hamilton was a major momentum changer. At that particular moment in the game Hamilton had already hoisted some bad shots and he was clearly frustrated by his own poor play and trying to make something happen and force the action. In listening to him in interviews I do not think he is a dumb guy. He is just in a horrible shooting slump which has affected him mentally and gotten into his head. He just needs to calm down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT