ADVERTISEMENT

Cochran-I was wrong.

oldandintheway

Nov 8, 2009
Charlottesville, Va.
When Cochran was given his chance, I stated here on this board that I thought Whitmer still gave this team it's best chance to win, I was wrong. Watching the whole game today, I saw Cochran throw some beautiful balls. That TD throw to G.Davis was beautifully located. Same with Foxx's, just over the defender, dropped it in. I don't know enough about his arm strength, but his command and presence are obvious, to me anyway. He has 3 more years to learn defenses, and up his already strong ability to go through his progressions. He has the potential to realize that special QB's sense of what will work as he comes to that line of scrimmage. He may be the one for the next 3 years.... Don't underestimate what that means in terms of recruiting Offensive Skill Players, which we still desperately need. (And sorry to see Yawin Smallwood go, but he gave it all here, and now he's doing what's best for him and family.)

This post was edited on 12/7 8:01 PM by oldandintheway

I wouldn't say you were completely wrong. Cochrane has looked great as he got more comfortable but there are some
variables we'll never know regarding Whitmer. At the same time it was a joke that PP thought( he was wrong even on the
way out, LOL! ) it was a wise idea to rush Boyle out there after just 2 months in school and wasting a redshirt year.

Looking back it's a shame Weist and the staff went along with it once PP was canned, especially vs. some tough teams,
while the OL was just starting to recover from George's pathetic way of doing things. ( I've posted GDL's trail of destroying
teams and creating some of the worse offenses in the country at 4 different schools in another thread) Maybe they can
get Boyle's RS back next year with Cochrane as the starter and Whitmer/Taylor as back-ups.

But regarding CW everyone remembers his TO's. But GDL's run, run, pass punt offense that he had to suffer through for a
whole season that caused him getting destroyed by pressure... over and over on long 3rd downs.. while ending up with 2
concussions can't be overlooked. I can't ever remember seeing a team in my life using only one wideout more. Almost
like staying in the fetal position over and over, then expecting CW to bail him out after 2 carries of minus 2 yds by a
very mediocre 165lb RB( McCombs). I think GDL putrid OL/OC schemes ruined the kid. Plus GDL loved to stick him
over center for his running game instead of the shotgun which gave him even less time.

The thing we'll never know is how would CW do with the improvement we've seen in the OL ( granted vs. struggling teams)
after Foley had taken over and with Weist losing the shackles of those 2 useless relics who belong in the geriatric
ward. What I like with Casey is his quick reads and secondary looks plus overall he's been amazingly accurate.
(Something I didn't see at spring games or open practices) But he's also gained time from an improved OL play and
creative "non-passing down" play calls that don't allow the defenses to tee up. Looking forward Weist helped create
something that Uconn hasn't had in along time. QB depth because he gave them the plays and an offense they could
develop with plus a bunch of WR's that are now a strength for the future.

This post was edited on 12/10 11:33 AM by the Blades

I've seen Cochran & Boyle play in high school and was shocked when they burned Boyles' redshirt....I think Cochran can eventually be the real deal in the years to come regardless of how some feel about his height.

Also read this in the bottom of the article about asst coaches for Diaco:

"Junior quarterback Chandler Whitmer is deciding if his playing career is over. He was spotted in the Burton Family Football Complex shortly before Diaco's press conference and said he's deciding if it's best to return, transfer or leave the game altogether."

Yeah, you were right in thinking what would he have done with Weist and after the O Line got their act together(understandably taking awhile after the GDL fiasco and upgraded play-calling, along with the weaker sisters of the league on the back end of the schedule.) Don't know about Boyle yet, but he would go into camp at #2 at best, probably #3. If he still has that desire, maybe transfer to a I-AA so he could play for a team that needs a decent QB for the one season. I wish him well if that is the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT