ADVERTISEMENT

Any additional recruits for 2015-2016

dp972

Jan 31, 2002
Stone decided against UConn....what's next for this upcoming season?? Other under the radar recruits??

IMO....need another guy who can handle the rock and/or an athletic wing like Kromah who played the game right and
D'd up or like Giffey a glue guy who did the same and was around a 50% 3pt shooter and fought for rebounds ( also NG,
when measured post Uconn, was closer to Daniels height at about 6-8 in sneakers )

....Omar because of his hip surgery or what ever isn't athletic enough to be playing wing at this level....and as a off guard he
can't handle the ball( Uconn's at it's best when they have two solid PG's)...so WTF is he ?... an undersized wing who can't
play D........if he was a lights out shooter it's one thing (career 30%) ...but it wasn't an accident that when he got as much PT
as us on this message board last year in the post season... it gave Uconn enough of a boost to send em' to a NC.....so that's
an area Uconn could immediately improve. Whether it's replacing his minutes with a guy who can handle or a wing who's more
in the 6-6 to 6-8 range....a 5th year guy would probably be the best bet at this point, for either of those needs.

Also as far as the bigs they are what they are, Uconn's won with these guys actually playing in a NC run.....at least they'll
have 5 more fouls with Enoch and we can hope Brimah gets stronger this summer, since he's not coming off shoulder
surgery like last year... when he could do nothing in the off season.
This post was edited on 3/28 7:16 PM by the Blades

UConn's frontcourt is garbage and a serious upgrade is needed-at least two players in addition to Enoch. Other than Facey UConn doesn't have any rebounders, and nobody who can score in the post. Brimah is strictly a one trick pony, if he doesn't dunk on a lob pass he can't get good position to score. He is successfully pushed off of his spots 90% of the time due to being physically overmatched by defenders...............

Garbage ???? I wouldn't go that far.... show me your wish list of these upgrades and I'll agree but without one...... Uconn's gonna have to win it's old fashioned way with guard and wing play unless we can get another Charles Okwandu for the rotation.....LOL ?

Chuck Okwandu played great in the 2011 championship run..............saved the win against Arizona with a shot pressure and had a critical block vs. UK in the Final 4 not to mention being part of an NCAA record 10 shot blocks and 19% FG defense against Butler. How quick people are to forget the contributions of this solid role player. I would take Chuck as a senior over Nolan any day..............C'mon now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 3/28 8:08 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Come on KSTW....who said I forgot...Big Chuck and Nolan did about the same thing in the national championships runs...
played D and took up space...Chuck's job at the end on Derrick Williams will be a legendary sequence like Nolan' when
he had to guard Payne( 4-14 FG's) vs. Mich St. because Brimah couldn't guard the perimeter....but with out an elite PG
it's all moot.

They're both pretty much as limited as you can get offensively...which is the point I'm making.....who is left at this point
in the recruiting game that brings this major upgrade ????? The best we can hope for at this point is back to Uconn's
"Donut Hole" teams of the 90's like the media used to like to call them.......good guards and wings with no center !
This post was edited on 3/28 9:01 AM by the Blades

That's a nice list but has Uconn had any relationship going on with these guys ?...it seems that it's to late in the game
to develop something but we can always dream like NIKE U. is doing:

Oregon- Stephen Zimmerman? Thon Maker?

Ivan Rabb down to Cal and Arizona

Oh and here's this: " This week will be quite busy for University of Kentucky basketball recruiting target Cheick Diallo.
The final five schools on Diallo’s list of college options are Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Pittsburgh, and St. John’s. "
This post was edited on 3/28 8:39 AM by the Blades

KSTW I have LOL at you.... You make it sound like it is that easy in terms of recruiting.

Yea we have to close better on who we are really recruiting but trust too many variables such as for some reason we can't get some kids through admissions as we used to be able to!

Go further down the list and you have Caleb Swanigan at #21, whom UConn was recruiting at one time, and Thomas Bryant at #30, both 6'8"-6"9" power forwards. There are lots of guys still on the board!!!!!!!!!! Just go to work and get it done. Find a way to get them through admissions! If UConn starts behaving like an Ivy league school on academics, they will be in a conference resembling the Ivy League sooner rather than later.

I am not sure if you guys fully appreciate it but the program is at a critical juncture right now. UConn has failed to cash in on its national championships in 2011 and 2014 and the next 2 years will be critical to the program's future. A decline may happen due to the AAC conference placement unless UConn can string together a couple of good recruiting classes and retain its status. Adams and Enoch are good regional recruits but the work is not finished!!!!!!!

Hopefully we nab Shonn miller told staff about him over a week ago. Glue guy with huge numbers. Staff met him recently. From Cornell so no grade issues

Found this on Shonn Miller, he met with UConn on Thursday. As Ozzie mentioned he has huge numbers, especially boards for a guy only 6-7. Could be a souped up Johnnie Selvie. Only issue is he is not a 3 point shooter (26%), so he isn't really a stretch 4, but more like a Freeman or Selvie undersized workhorse who does it dirty inside. That is needed, as is toughness. But a guy who can shoot some 3s is needed as well.

This post was edited on 3/28 12:41 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/03/cornell_graduate_transfer_shon.html

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:

I am not sure if you guys fully appreciate it but the program is at a critical juncture right now. UConn has failed to cash in on its national championships in 2011 and 2014 and the next 2 years will be critical to the program's future. A decline may happen due to the AAC conference placement unless UConn can string together a couple of good recruiting classes and retain its status. Adams and Enoch are good NATIONAL recruits but the work is not finished!!!!!!!
Of course it's a critical juncture, it has been. I've been preaching this for 3-4 years ever since conference realignment
and every angle these P-5's have gained. What KO has to overcome Jimmy never had to deal with...first JC got
to sell the old Big East to recruits, then after the APR and Miles issues Uconn has to be squeaky clean if they ever
want to get an invite out of this AAC ......

So as Ozzie explained, recruiting for Uconn right now is not that easy going against these P-5's. Whether it's the
fraud academics they allow and get slapped on the wrist for, extra P-5 benefit$, WWW type runners.....it's a jungle
out there...while Uconn has to weed out it's recruiting pool of kids that have anything close to a red flag ...even
Stone has been mentioned with academic issues.
This post was edited on 3/28 7:21 PM by the Blades

Khalid man...jeez you must not follow recruiting too much. You just think that because there are top recruits still unsigned at this point that we can go out there this late in the game and pluck them? It's a process and a fluid one at that but when you stop recruiting one prospect or never got involved with another there are many reasons why.

UConn was never known for pulling monster recruiting hauls during JC's day. He would land his share of stud guys but we all know that we made our butter with the next tier of recruits who we developed. It's still mixing and matching those blue chippers with the 4 stars and occasional 3 stars.

I would however like to see us add a coach who has real AAU ties and can close out better on the recruiting trail. Love that we are keeping in all UConn but at some point we need to try to get every advantage possible on recruiting. Guys like Book Richardson at Zona and Slice Rohrssen at Kentucky are recruiting trail pitbulls

UConn in the past got a lot of recruits late.....Emeka Okafor was one of them, in fact Khalid El Amin was another. I read reports that UConn was recruiting Swanigan and if it stopped I don't know why. There are a ton of guys on the board and if we have all these reasons not to recruit people we will never develop a talented and deep roster.

KSTW
Just curious if you still like us being a big fish in a small pond? not trying to be a jerk, but there are def two different trains of thought about UC being in the AAC. Blades, Silk and most on this thread were on it early about having to get to a P5 league. I know you had felt differently about that, at least that's how i read you. Was wondering what your thoughts are now, as we struggle to close out recruits.

For me, it's always been about playing games that fans want to see. Now, I don't really blame Cuse cuz the BE had changed so much it wasn't even the BE as we knew it anymore. But, playing E Carolina & Tulane in 1/2 empty arenas is gonna absolutely kill this program IMHO. Even if we're winning, it's gonna be tough....

Originally posted by Ozzie3178:
Tyler Harris visiting UConn today!
Thanks for the 411, Ozzie.... is his pops coming along ? He seemed to be a little to hands on with his kids in the past ...
wink.r191677.gif

I think so Blades.... I'm just glad the coaches are listening and grinding

Originally posted by Ozzie3178:
I think so Blades.... I'm just glad the coaches are listening and grinding
.......exactly ! Can't play another season undermanned with only 10 true scholly players..stuff happens

Originally posted by Shaggydog84:
KSTW
Just curious if you still like us being a big fish in a small pond?
For now, yes. You guys are not remembering (or as Andy Pettite would say, misremembering) all of what I said. I believe that conference alignment is still in flux. Right now we do not now how this will all shake out in the long run. I indicated that due to antitrust issues and litigation that conference alignments (and more likely, profit sharing) may ultimately be an issue for the Courts. The NCAA has gravitated away from amateurism and the logical conclusion of that shift would be a profit sharing arrangement as in place in the major professional sports. In other words schools that make money pay the ones that don't.

Back in the 1980s, many people thought that UConn should get out of the Big East because they couldn't compete in it with the perceived heavweights like Georgetown, St. John's Syracuse and Villanova. Then UConn became the flagship school of the conference in the 1990s. However, just 10 years earlier people were saying UConn should back out and go with the Atlantic 10 where it could be a competitive team.

Things don't look good right now because the AAC is coming off a very bad year, quite frankly. However we don't know what the future holds and it seems to me that waiting around for a P-5 conference invite that may never be forthcoming is an unproductive attitude. A person who takes a job while holding out hope that a job offer with another employer will come his way has already sealed the verdict on his attitude towards his present job. To me the situation UConn is in is the same thing. You make the best of the situation you are in.

At one time Temple was in the Big East but was asked to leave. This scenario could play out again in the future with other schools and other conferences. Although many have been quick to post simplistic and presumptive analyses based on the current landscape, I feel that it will change for reasons mentioned here and in other posts.

This post was edited on 3/31 3:01 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Originally posted by Shaggydog84:

For me, it's always been about playing games that fans want to see. Now, I don't really blame Cuse cuz the BE had changed so much it wasn't even the BE as we knew it anymore. But, playing E Carolina & Tulane in 1/2 empty arenas is gonna absolutely kill this program IMHO. Even if we're winning, it's gonna be tough....
Bingo...it's about competing at the highest level...that's what Uconn spent close to $200 mil for.. to be in a BCS conference
and play and recruit at the highest level...nothing from the 80's applies now...because of the money involved,
the P-5 rules and autonomy that they have granted theirselves as Uconn sits on the outside. And they do have profit
sharing within each organization of the P-5.....I doubt that'll change just like the NHL isn't forced to share their profits
with the AHL or the ECHL even though they all do business together at some level.

If you want a blueprint of how this plays out if Uconn doesn't get out of this AAC... see the old Southwest Conference.
The teams who moved out of that conference into P-5's now play in packed stadiums vs. the top teams...the one's
who haven't like Houston and SMU, ( who used to have elite programs) have played in empty buildings for years and
have never recovered.

This post was edited on 4/2 11:00 AM by the Blades

Just checked the Nova board, like Uconn, they have a 5 star PG coming in and some other guards.....also saw this tweet:

5 minutes ago
Jay Wright: "Dylan is interested in finding a program that will allow him to play the role of a traditional point guard."

His assist totals were much higher at Rice than they were at Villanova. What happens with guys like this who have one potential year of eligibility left and only stand 6'2" is they smell the coffee and realize that a pro future is only happening at one position, point guard, and they seek a program that can showcase them setting up an offense. The only way it fits at UConn would be to deploy a 3 guard offense with Ennis, Adams and Purvis, stick Hamilton and his insane rebounding ability at the 4 and leave Brimah at 5. It could work, although it's a quasi 4 guard offense.

As of now, Drehers Tevin Mack is still on board with the VCU Rams"Mack has stayed quiet publicly but it's likely VCU has already reached out to Mack and asked for him to hold off making any
decision about his future until after the school brings in the new head coach. But it's still unclear if Mack will want to remain at
VCU or perhaps he might want to take his talents to Connecticut, the other school he was heavily considering, at least publicly."

I wonder if VCU will in effect give the kid a veto right on the new coach...................it would be funny if they promise to do that and then Mack bolts anyway.

Mack will get his release but not until VCU hires another coach. My guess is he goes elsewhere and would be a great addition to this Husky class

So will Mack be Texas bound:

The continuity may not be enough to keep four-star recruit Tevin Mack, a 6-foot-7 small forward out of Columbia, S.C. Mack's
mother, Paula Mack, said Tevin asked for a release from his national letter-of-intent after Smart left for Texas, but VCU has not
granted it yet. She said Tevin hasn't made any final decisions on his college destination. "The number-one reason why he chose
VCU was Coach Smart," Paula Mack said.
VCU hires Will Wade as men's basketball coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT